Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Boatmurdered comic strips - writers needed.  (Read 23714 times)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Boatmurdered comic strips - writers needed.
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2009, 06:30:25 pm »

That's exactly what I asked.
:o

You mean you didn't want us to sit around aimlessly discussing the idea without contributing at all?!
;)

I'll see about coming up with a little info-burst about The Tusked Menace for tommorrow. If anyone is desperate to do one about elephants, just PM me and I'll do one about Mandrills or Orthoclase instead.

ALSO: Can any of the 2D vets remember if tile revealing was different back then? The old maps of Boatmurdered look like diagonally adjacent tiles weren't revealed like they are nowadays.
http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/Thread%201/Update%203/021map-end-year1.jpg
Like at the corners of the rooms?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2009, 06:44:00 pm »

Yeah, back in those days diagonal was "blocked" in DF mode.

Also, come up with mandrills, please. They are the next menace :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2009, 06:47:01 pm »

hey Deon, Nice work on the comic so far!

SO, uh, I was wondering, for the little "inlet" encyclopedia pages, do you want us to just supply the text, or add some artwork to go with it (only if we're appropriately talented, of course)? 'Cause I'd really like to contribute artistically to this project. But if you want to just draw the comic yourself, I'm okay with that.

Just asking...

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2009, 07:15:15 pm »

I just wanted to say that I love the idea of a boatmurdered comic. While it wasn't the thing that got me into DF (I think it was a pc gamer indie review section)... I was inspired by how it portrayed the chaotic events of ASCII into a semi coherent story. It also inspired me to make more and more grandose forts.

I love the farming comic idea Sensei, great imagery just from that alone. I cant wait for Deon to make it into a comic.
3 <≡Vertex≡>
This is a exceptionally prepared stack of 3 vertex. It forms the shape of a triangle.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2009, 08:14:17 pm »

Mandrills are a kind of monkey native to tropical climates. They are a larger cousin to the Rhesus Macaque, which most dwarves have heard of.
Photo of a Mandrill

Mandrills are curious creatures. If they wander upon a forgotten dwarven craft, they are apt to pick it up- as they are apt to explore any mysterious caves that might appear on their turf.
A mandrill lets out a screech in the night, as it runs from torch-wielding guards. On its back is a burlap sack full of crafts.

In addition, Mandrills can be aggressive, when provoked. They are formidable fighters, and have a bite strength comparable to that of, oh, a carp. By which I mean their bites are exactly as strong as that of a carp.
The same mandrill is mauling an armored guard, having pounced him from behind, while the others flee in terror.

However, unlike Rhesus Macaques, Mandrills can be trained if they are captured. They make for competent war animals.
A couple mandrills stand in a corner, smoking. They wear dew rags, leather vests and brandish knives at fearful dwarven pedestrians, generally looking menacing.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2009, 08:32:33 pm »

hey Deon, Nice work on the comic so far!

SO, uh, I was wondering, for the little "inlet" encyclopedia pages, do you want us to just supply the text, or add some artwork to go with it (only if we're appropriately talented, of course)? 'Cause I'd really like to contribute artistically to this project. But if you want to just draw the comic yourself, I'm okay with that.

Just asking...

Actually, because I draw these "filler" pages in a different style (or without one), it's ok with someone else drawing the things. Actually, it would speed up the work, since I could work on the comic more and let other talented people supply images for the "dfpedia". I.e., I love the style of yours, and I remember you drawing some really good trog. If you could provide a few pictures of DF creatures in the same style, it would be AWESOME. Also, if you manage to do so, provide a copy of your signature/watermark (with a transparent background if possible :P) to place on the page.

P.S. As I remember, you've made an elf too... I am going to check back on your pictures. Having the creatures in the same style (and with those "O  _  O" eyes) would be cool.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2009, 08:36:46 pm »

alright, thanks deon. You just tell me if you need anything drawn.

You think Vester, spreggo, or balathastrius would be interested? Their stuff is good.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2009, 09:16:52 pm »

Yeah, stick up a list of encyclopedia entries you want doing. I can probably get one drawn by the end of tommorrow

ahrbee

• Bay Watcher
  • striking some earth
    • View Profile
    • Strike The Earth
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2009, 12:26:14 am »

Boatmurdered was entertaining but it was mostly just one or two of the contributers that were excellent writers who made the story good.

*coughSankiscough*

Anyhow, I like it so far =) I can't help at all, but look forward to reading more.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2009, 01:30:49 am »

Fault, for now it's mandrills, elephants, immigrants and traders. 4pages I have to make, describing the place of those in the DF world.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

sir labreck

• Bay Watcher
  • You know what? Tic tock motherf**** --> SG philo
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2009, 01:32:39 am »

Like what I read ^^ Keep the good job and good luck ;)

For the question of why Boatmurderer, I'm not a native English, and I miserly fail to remember something as funny. Bad writing was more than ok because each style add for the story. But indeed some people have do more. Anyways, I have discover DF because a gamefaqs, was checking the list of strategy game, fall on this, and finally I download the game and have fun with my first ASCII game :p

I'm not good at comic joke. Mostly I'm good with inside stupid joke when appropriate, so don't really see what I could scribe. But I recognize the style is funny and would do great :)
If you have to choose between war and dishonour, don't choose dishonour because you'll have war.

Quote from: Oglokoog
sir labreck, how you manage to mangle English so much yet still manage to keep your posts comprehensible is beyond me. Well done.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2009, 01:35:34 am »

Uh oh, I feel a strange feeling.

At first I notice that your "awesome" 5 rating moved to an average of 3. So I thought that someone placed "1" for some reason and went to check the stats...
Total Page Views:      3,868 views
Total Unique Visitors:    724 visitors
It's in 3 days.

Wow. I forgot that it's on a public webcomic domain. Once  I make it bigger and place more credits ( I think I should start to describe things a bit faster) it could really attract more people from the outside.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2009, 01:39:51 am »

I remember both SA goons bitching and Toady One bragging about river creatures spawning from the wells dug in olde style forts.

That would make a decent comic.

"Behold comrades, that this decadently produced well full to the brim with pure, mountain-glacier-spring-organic water"

(Two months later)

Think of the comic book drama that results in rookie mistakes like the "LP Dwarf Fortress" goons foolishly commited themselves to. It goes from "The traders brought some food we needed" to the stuff Toady One brags about that goes more like:

"OH, IT ATE MY BABY!" and "OI ME MINING AHARM!, IT BIT OFF ME GEWD ARM IT DID!" and "MEN, SEAL THE GATES AND RETREAT INTO THE FORTRESS! REST AND REFILL YOUR WATER SKINS AT THE... OH MERCIFUL ARMOK!" and whathaveyou.

sir labreck

• Bay Watcher
  • You know what? Tic tock motherf**** --> SG philo
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2009, 01:45:02 am »

hehehe ^^

To lazy to register tough, will do it later.

You could aslo add something about the change of leader yearly round. Like the two leader face to face, the first one sensed to give the new one the paper, his diary and the key ^^ But trash them on the river or something else in the same taste (the two of them thinking of the other as a moron also).

Just a fast thinking about it.
If you have to choose between war and dishonour, don't choose dishonour because you'll have war.

Quote from: Oglokoog
sir labreck, how you manage to mangle English so much yet still manage to keep your posts comprehensible is beyond me. Well done.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2009, 01:55:48 am »

Protip:

If you speak poor english, do the comic in your native language and have someone else translate it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8