Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DF future  (Read 6416 times)

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
Re: DF future
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2007, 02:32:00 am »

My goal: To make a dwarven hightech tower. And with hightech I meant using crude methods to make it look cool like doors that slide to the side and some kind of escape pod at the top.
code:

WWWWW
WFFFW    F
WFFFWBBBBF
WFFFW    F
WWWWW    S  
W=Wall
F=Floor
B=Bridge
S=Switch

So would this work? Would I be able to build a room like that only conected to the bridge? And if the bridge is withdrawn will it fall down? I will make a deep pond where it lands.

The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Malenfant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2007, 05:34:00 am »

I have to agree that the lack of goals and direction can start to bother you. When it comes to future content the most obvious initial goal in my mind would be to repay the mountainholms for the expedition. They will then also most likely expect regular deliveries of gold and riches until you obtain independence via diplomacy or warfare.

I haven't seen the economy activate under the new version but when it does it could provide an almost limitless number of goals. More rooms need to be built for rent, unemployed dwarves, demand for luxury good and foodstuffs, recreation areas need building etc etc.

SoloDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2007, 04:05:00 pm »

First off, this verison of DF is absolutely amazing.  I am always excited to sit down and play.  I no longer have problems keeping my dwarfs fed or happy, but the new trade system and the limitless starting zones has really kept me playing.  There are so many challanging locations that are possible build successful fortresses at.  If you are finding the game too easy, don't use all your points in the beginning.  See if you can build a wooden fortress in the middle of the dessert.  Not using war dogs or traps and taking the bad with the good, really makes the game interesting.  If you want some end game content build a fortress at a goblin site and see if you can take them out.  I am so excited to try everything out, I keep starting new fortress after only a year.  Best release ever, you just have to have a little imagination.  Maybe you can make an outlaw town and kill all traders that come in using brute force.  So many options, you get to make the end game the way you want to make it or just start a new map.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2007, 03:44:00 am »

I'm still in the phase where I play with the new possibilities, like settling in a human town (makes for a much easier start due to all the free food) or making a very tall tower and filling it with water for no reason. I'm thinking of making a series of pumps to have my own waterfall, too. Imagine a fortress with a massive shaft, straight down from the surface down to the bottom, letting air and sunlight in, and with a waterfall on one side, feeding an underground river.

Actually, I ran out of ideas a while ago and started playing adventure mode instead, and when I found my first dwarven settlement (yes, finding it took quite a while despite starting on top of it) I got a whole bunch of new ideas, from the sheer epic size of it.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2007, 03:57:00 am »

When I'm bored, I take 7 carpenters, 500 wood, and make stuff in the tiniest fort size I can.
Now whenever I run around in adventure mode, theres lots of strange and amusing things build everywhere.

Massive bridges over rivers.
Large wooden manors in remote locations.
Hollow wooden horses in human towns.
A huge wooden floor in an elven retreat...

Lots of amusing little projects can be had! Though, I just enjoy building things.   :roll:

arthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2007, 09:24:00 am »

Thanks for the suggestions people. I am making an "underwater fortress" now, its quite fun.   :cool:
Pages: 1 2 [3]