Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A Scholarly Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 5887 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: A Scholarly Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2009, 10:13:59 am »

As several others have touched on, the iherent problem is creating a realistic model because of inherent assumptions in the model itself, as well as simplifications of complex, often interrelated systems.

For instance, DF doesn't model disease or sanitation at all, other than rotting remains and miasma making dwarfs unhappy. Which is easily countered by dining in a fancy room, looking at a masterfully-carved door, etc. Whereas in RL the development of sanitation practices and engineering was crucial to the development of urbanization.

If DF modeled that realistically, dwarven civilizations would get wiped out by dysentery by year 50 or so. ;)

I find it more interesting to think of the framework of the game as the "rules" and us as the participants, because I'm constantly amazed at the engineering marvels (and Rube Goldberg devices) that people come up with. Or the ways in which people find ways to 'game' the system (like the infamous "mermaid farming" thread).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 01:39:34 pm »

As several others have touched on, the iherent problem is creating a realistic model because of inherent assumptions in the model itself, as well as simplifications of complex, often interrelated systems.

For instance, DF doesn't model disease or sanitation at all, other than rotting remains and miasma making dwarfs unhappy. Which is easily countered by dining in a fancy room, looking at a masterfully-carved door, etc. Whereas in RL the development of sanitation practices and engineering was crucial to the development of urbanization.
Toady is working on making dwarf sick and dirty.  So this isn't too far off.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2009, 01:45:32 pm »

(like the infamous "mermaid farming" thread).

That thread summed up the game and community.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 02:17:08 pm »

The mood system is one of the most unrealistic subsystem of DF, yes. In real world, after months of a terrible war and after losing half of a population, the people of a human village will rejoice when invader left the country. In DF, they'll all turn insane and commit suicide due to the accumulated sorrow.
And yes, in the other hand, a dwarf that suddenly lose his lover, parents, cat, and both eyes to a goblin attack will soon be ecstatic again after several meals in that royal dining room.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2009, 08:39:16 pm »

The mood system is one of the most unrealistic subsystem of DF, yes. In real world, after months of a terrible war and after losing half of a population, the people of a human village will rejoice when invader left the country. In DF, they'll all turn insane and commit suicide due to the accumulated sorrow.
And yes, in the other hand, a dwarf that suddenly lose his lover, parents, cat, and both eyes to a goblin attack will soon be ecstatic again after several meals in that royal dining room.
THEY ARE SAD BECAUSE HALF OF THE COMMUNITY IS DEAD, AND PLUS, they just tired out the enemy, not really much to celebrate about!!!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:40:55 pm by Foa »
Pages: 1 2 [3]