Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Vote for the topic of the next Dwarf Fortress Talk!

Procedural Culture:  Kindly Goblins and tree-hugging Dwarves?
- 220 (38.7%)
The Future of Adventure Mode:  Meet, Enslave and Kill Interesting People.
- 218 (38.3%)
Battle Specifics:  How Exactly Does That Spear Pierce my Spleen?
- 131 (23%)

Total Members Voted: 569

Voting closed: November 26, 2009, 12:16:29 am

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Topic Vote - Dwarf Fortress Talk #5  (Read 37408 times)

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
Topic Vote - Dwarf Fortress Talk #5
« on: November 14, 2009, 12:16:29 am »

Vote your favorite now.  I almost put this on the vote:

4.  Mr. Frunky Dunkus:  Beasts that slap your face in the night.

Because as I was talking with Tarn he called Scamps Mr. Frunky Dunkus when he clawed him.  But I thought better of it.  If you need clarification let me know.  (Also Mr. Blumpis!)  ("Mr. Scamps is a Buh buh babybabybaby bad baby cat!")
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Topic Vote - Dwarf Fortress Talk #5
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 12:27:30 am »

Oh god.  Adventure mode and battle specifics... I've never been so torn.  I'm going to have to go with Adv. Mode though, since Toady has already posted a lot of details about the new wounding mechanics.

Also:

The kobold language is based entirely on how we used to talk to our cats growing up.  The nonsense words would have a roughly consistent meaning for days at a time, but it was very fluid overall, and it's not really about communicating novel ideas to people, especially those that weren't around when a given word became attached to a given object.

"Used to"?  Haha.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 12:34:51 am by Footkerchief »

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 12:34:38 am »

I think I'm happy to wait and see what the battle specifics are when the next version is released.

I'm pretty interested in seeing more variation in the game, so I'm going for culture.
Adventure mode is pretty tempting though.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 12:45:02 am »

Adventure mode's future grabs my interest since this covers toady's plans for what to do for the next big update since he mentioned that Adventure mode is the next big priority. So I'm interested in that. Though learning about goblins that are kind is sort of sounds fun too. XD

Definetly looking forward to either.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 01:04:45 am »

I'm interested in the culture. I want to know if it'll be possible to have a Cacame in game without having to do serious editing.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 01:05:57 am »

Adventure mode for me...
I want to hear about the future adventurers' exploits.

(Offtopic: What, more touhou fan? @_@)

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 01:31:04 am »

Adventure mode. I want to know just how many ways I can destroy a civilization now. In the current version, I know four. Are there any more?
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 01:38:39 am »

Voted for procedural culture. I love that whole kind of thing. :3
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

igdfilm

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 01:40:07 am »

I am all about Adventure Mode.

Hey... #1 Scamps fan right here. Let's get a little mauling action in the next podcast!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 02:22:53 am »

Wow they are all good topics I wouldn't be disapointed if they showed up again in future votes. (There really is no "we could do without" vote selection this time)

I hope some of those examples are just examples. I'd personally would think combat would be more interesting

I voted for Adventure mode and frankly I am actually less interested in the examples then I am with other stuff such as: Romance, Property, Adventuring groups, Titles, Jobs, Adventurer strength, Children/Heirs/pupils, Recognition, respect, liking, Training, Training the Party, Servants, The Purpose of Excess Wealth, and so on.

Oddly enough that means I am interested in the human aspect of Adventurer mode the most. I am more interested in learning about how people will react to your adventurer then actually being the adventurer.

For example
-What does it mean if your Adventurer is Poor? Will people recognise his social status? Will he stink sleeping in the gutter?
-Can you Reer your children so that they too become important people?
-How do you have a job, or many other possitions, in adventure mode without it being a boring grindfest? Will there be extrapolation and/or time skips? So you could spend a year being a baker and getting baker cash.
-What will romance be like? Will there be actual courtship and political weddings?
-What does it mean to be the ultimate hero for a town? Will they give you free room and board? Will they hide you from even their king? Will they overthrow the king to put you in charge?
-What does it mean to be a civilisations worst enemy? Will they send assasines? Will they redirrect armies to intersect you? Will they offer enemy nations peace in return for your head?
-How do you go around getting a civilisation who is your nation's enemy to like you?
-What does it mean to be a legendary Swordsmen? Will people ask you to train them assuming they realise your that skilled?
-Will enemies surrender or bargain with you if they believe you are dangerous or useful enough to them?
-Can you chose the ending for your hero so to speak? Make him become a hermit or Aestetic.
-How will people react when you walk into the room with a malicious or heavenly artifact? Will they recognise it? Will they associate you with a greater purpose?
-Can Priests associate you with their gods? Believing you to be a demigod or some sort of Avatar? Even of enemy nations. Assuming your deadly enough to make it evident.
-Your the most evil being on the planet, but that is generally boring. Is there going to be ways to spice it up by taking advantage of fear?
-How will nations react to adventurers who prove that they are too powerful to be dealt with by normal means no matter how extreme? What can they do?

Really the list goes on. Maybe I should submit them as questions... but most are probably too boring and generic and are too specific to the questions.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 05:14:15 am »

(Offtopic: What, more touhou fan? @_@)

Yes! :3 With my own Touhouish mod in the works :3

Anyways trying to get back onto the subjects.

Here's hoping to learn more about adventure mode since I'm leaning to that way now. And maybe we'll get to hear Scamps(Mr. Frunky Dunkus) continue to maw on poor Tarn as well (though that's a given)
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 11:58:55 am »

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Why do all the topics aways have to be so awesome? I can hardly pick one.
I'll go with adventurer mode though, since it hasn't been talked about before, while combat and procedural generated stuff has at least been mentioned before.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 01:58:27 pm »

Woohoo! Culture!
This one's a no-brainer for me.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 02:25:50 pm »

We've been spoiled plenty on combat mechanics and adventure mode is a far more broad subject with good discussion possibilities, i'm going with that.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 04:24:08 pm »

ADVENTUUUUURE.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7