Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: iPhone port?  (Read 9788 times)

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone port?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 01:12:29 am »

It's be a way for toady to make money. Pay to use his 5Up3R 4W350m3 m394 53rV3Rs on your phone, with more speed than you get on your laptop.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 01:15:22 am »

Well, someone in the modding forum has DF working over SSH. Maybe this is a step forward?

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=45283.0

I don't know about the iPod Touch, but those can always be jailbroken.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 04:51:13 am »

As was mentioned earlier the idea of the iPad while still having some *almost* reasonable specs for the game would not be up to par in the end...and as for the jailbreak-ability of an iPad it has yet to be untapped because it obviously hasnt been released to the public (hell I work for apple and havent seen one yet....thats right apple employees dont see or touch anything before the customers do). The new obstacle I see with the iPad that is not present with the iPod and iPhone is the fact that the iPad has a processor made by apple...and that to me does not sound like it will make any jailbreaking or porting attempts any easier (although we all know it will happen soon enough).

So ultimately the iPod and iPhone are grossly underpowered and the iPad while a little on the low end seems like it will be a technical nightmare to get this or any port or variation of this program on there.....lets not also forget that the iPod, iPhone, and iPad do NOT have physical keyboards which in itself would create another huge obstacle....
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 04:56:40 am by dennislp3 »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 04:56:52 am »

As was mentioned earlier the idea of the iPad while still having some reasonable specs for the game

No, it doesn't. It has a 1GHz Apple A4 processor, and not only that, but that chip is also doing double-duty as the GPU (and probably other things, such as audio processing).

So even if you could get the thing compiled and "working", it... barely would, at all, input issues aside.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 11:06:25 am »

iPhone port?
dude, iphone is not able to handle DF with 2x2 world and 4x4 embark site with 1/2 dwarf(even on ultraoptimized port), imho.
i will never understand apple fans...and android users too..
VNC only, yes.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 12:27:27 pm by xoen »

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 11:34:53 am »

I already play DF on my old macbook using an RDP client to connect to my Win7 "DF Server".

I saw the ncurses output feature for D17 also, and am looking forward to setting up a real game server that I can play from anywhere via SSH.

Which makes me start thinking about 'DF in the Cloud' lol. FPS too low on your personal computer but need to finish that megaproject? Move your savegame over to an Amazon EC2 instance and finish it up! Only catch is they scale up compute power by adding cores. :( Still.. it's tha future!

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 12:14:43 pm »

The ncurses client-server version for the win.

You don't get to "run" DF on the phone, but could check out what your desktop is doing while on the run.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 12:28:25 pm »

Which makes me start thinking about 'DF in the Cloud' lol. FPS too low on your personal computer but need to finish that megaproject? Move your savegame over to an Amazon EC2 instance and finish it up! Only catch is they scale up compute power by adding cores. :( Still.. it's tha future!

I've been thinking about that myself, you could probably start a market with that idea :p
Get some servers with multiple, hi-tech cores, and allocate 1GB of data to each subscriber.
It could detect how much CPU a game uses (games cannot run at more than 100 FPS), and shove multiple 2x2 games into a single core, or give a large fort an entire core :)

Just ideas. No one would ever do that.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 12:28:42 pm »

How many times has this thread been posted? Its almost as popular as the multi-threading threads.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2010, 07:09:16 am »

No.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2010, 07:15:07 am »

Baughn has a semi working text only output mode in 40d17, we could start a telnet server running DF.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=44829.225

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2010, 07:21:35 am »

There's a miniature SONY UMPC that looks more like a gameboy (a PSP Go, as it were), which could conceivably run DF on minimum settings. It had something awful for hardware (I can't remember exactly, but my desktop probably outclassed it when we first bought it 10 years ago), but it runs XP, so, in theory, should cope. It's kinda overpriced though, like everything SONY tends to be.

edit: just found it. It seems it's an entire line of UMPCs. Sony Vaio UX. It normally has an 1.2GHz Intel CPU, 1Gb RAM, and an unspecified videocard. Fairly sufficient, I think.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 07:34:12 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2010, 09:49:59 pm »

[[image]]

How many times has this thread been posted? Its almost as popular as the multi-threading threads.

Not that many, when you consider that mostt of them are about porting it entirely while this and a few others quickly came to the conclusion that outsourcing the game to a fast computer is the only reasonable solution.
Eh?
Eh!
Pages: 1 [2]