Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d17  (Read 124702 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d17
« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2010, 04:05:23 pm »

You should mention the bug in the DF bug forum; it's not a libgraphics problem. However, doing so is probably pointless right now.
It's your input code, since this cannot happen in d16, as I pointed out in that thread.

It's probably what Toady mentioned in the first reply: "I had to restructure every screen in the game with the potential to break anything related to any screen."  Nobody who's working on the code is paying much attention to Bug Reports at the moment, so I don't know where those reports should go, if not here.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2010, 04:20:42 pm »

They should go under "known bugs". Fixing it now is pretty pointless, as Toady would have to do that work over again later anyway, and it isn't a really important one if you're aware of it.

So done..
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:24:26 pm by Baughn »
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 08, 2010, 04:31:48 pm »

Tried the Linux version.  Frame rate is about 1/2 what the same save file is under Windows, regardless of what render mode I use.  Also, it only runs once.  If I quit and run the game again, the sound in the intro is mostly scratchy static, though the music in-game sometimes works, and I get about 6 fps and the interface lags behind key presses by 1 or 2 seconds.  Only way to fix it is to restart X. 

It turns out the massive slowdown if I run df a second time without restarting X is due to Compiz Fusion running, even if no fancy effects are happening.  It's completely unrelated to the sound system also breaking.  It actually slows it down the first time, too, just not by as much. 

If I turn Compiz off, I get a nice 19 fps for all modes except standard, which gets 16, and 2D, which get 9, and no interface lag.  This is pretty comparable to Windows on the same machine, though a few FPS slower.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2010, 04:38:21 pm »

Can you try 2DHW and 2DASYNC, tell me how those work?

It's possible that 2D should just be 2DHW, I think I was being way too conservative there.

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 08, 2010, 05:22:37 pm »

"Any linux user can install the LSB" simply isn't accurate, unfortunately. In particular, it doesn't exist on Arch, meaning at least that I wouldn't be able to run DF. :P

Oops, didn't know that. Yeah, the situation is really complicated...

lizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 08, 2010, 05:36:40 pm »

I'm willing to volunteer a little time, but am not sure what you want / need at this point.

I have 2 boxes, both old.  A single-core p4 + old (FX5200?) AGP card running ubuntu 9.10 and a little more modern box running debian lenny.  Should I download the binaries, download source and compile, what settings should I play with, etc?

iambap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New fort of old?
« Reply #186 on: February 08, 2010, 06:42:13 pm »

Is it recommended to use my old d16 save or start a completely new fort with this version?  or both?  or neither?

I'm on windows xp and probably won't be using 2d modes (maybe experimentally if I think about it) if that makes a difference.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 08, 2010, 06:57:20 pm »

Well, the 3D modes are pretty much broken on d17. There's a very good chance it'll crash. It's fixed now, but..

The saves should be compatible, though.

iambap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 08, 2010, 07:35:25 pm »

Well, the 3D modes are pretty much broken on d17. There's a very good chance it'll crash. It's fixed now, but..

The saves should be compatible, though.

Thanks.

I guess what I really want to know is which (using old saves or a brand new save) would be better for submitting bug reports.  I was thinking I could help by submitting bug reports for the newly redone UI.  Maybe that's not what your looking for, though.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 08, 2010, 07:43:08 pm »

Not really, no. The UI code that Toady has adapted is pretty much irrelevant; there's no point in fixing glitches in there, since he'd have to redo the job when he eventually ports the IO code forward to the 2010 release.

On the other hand, bug reports relating to keyboard input and video output are quite welcome. Those are things that won't change, or need to be rewritten.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 08, 2010, 07:51:28 pm »

Alright, doing some testing. First on my laptop. Desktop later on.

Intel Core Duo, 1.8ghz processor
2gigs of RAM
965g Intel integrated graphics chip
used window mode and maximized the window
Tested on a "mature", 100+ dwarf fortress with some liquid stuff going on

Standard: 17
2D: 16
2DHW: 16
2DASYNC: 15
PARTIAL:0: 19
ACCUM_BUFFER: 7
FRAME_BUFFER: Crashed every time I tried to maximize the window
VBO: 18

tychoruniko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 08, 2010, 08:46:12 pm »

Just a quick bug; when you are using the site finder and press the "cancel" button while it is still searching, the search continues while you can move the embark rectangle, but then the search finishes but doesn't move the rectangle to the found site.
The Dwarves' iconic beard may appear to be made out of facial hair, but its appearance is deceptive. What appears to be long, braided locks is actually a complex organ, which filters alcohol out of the bloodstream much like a human liver. But rather than discard the alcohol as a waste product, it is burned and converted into energy, which explains the lethargy apparent in dwarves that have gone many days without a good drink.

To put it simply: the dwarf is a booze-powered rock-breaker.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 08, 2010, 11:08:10 pm »

So, this is the new version, raw and unrefined but with the promised features? or am I wrong?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 08, 2010, 11:09:33 pm »

I'll answer so the people sick of answering don't have to. No. This is simply the last version of the improved rendering code for 40d.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Pita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 08, 2010, 11:44:43 pm »

Some adventure mode quirks that I think are new to d17 for me:

The last announcement flickers inbetween steps every now and then. When this starts to happen it seems to create a lot of lag too.

When moving on the map, the player seems to flick back and forth between the current location and destination--usually only on the first step.

Also, combat announcements seem to require a key-press or two to continue play, even when they are only one line. The screen doesn't refresh immediately either. For example, when moving from the wrestle screen after selecting your option, the combat announcement will display, but the wrestling interface will still be present. Then on a second key press, the screen will either remain the same or change back to the normal adventuring display, only frozen (no moving water etc.). Lastly, another key press returns to normal gameplay. A normal attack seems to freeze and return with one key press.

The other main annoyance is one that isn't new for d17 though, where I can't escape after dying.

I'm not sure if these are UI bugs, or keypress/video output bugs. I'm using windows XP, ol' laptop with intel integrated graphics card
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28