Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d17  (Read 124270 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d17
« Reply #225 on: February 10, 2010, 11:59:48 am »

Okay.

I've implemented, merged and pushed a curses-based output mode for DF. It's in the latest d17-head now.

This mode has some shortcomings - I haven't tackled termcap yet, so shift-leftarrow doesn't work, though shift-b/alt-b/ctrl-b certainly do. On my terminal, at least.

It also has an interesting advantage - when I implemented partial-printing for curses, I naturally did it before the color translation, since that translation isn't used.. which led to a 30% speed increase in the drawing code.

There is absolutely no reason why I can't use the same mechanism for the other modes. That is, d18 will be faster. Possibly even noticably faster.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Bergelmir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 10, 2010, 01:08:23 pm »

I've implemented, merged and pushed a curses-based output mode for DF. It's in the latest d17-head now.

That's great! I would like to give that a try, but I honestly do not know how to enable the curses mode. I assume that I have to change the PRINT_MODE, but to what value? Maybe you could be so kind to give me a hint.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 10, 2010, 01:28:11 pm »

Okay.

This mode has some shortcomings - I haven't tackled termcap yet, so shift-leftarrow doesn't work, though shift-b/alt-b/ctrl-b certainly do. On my terminal, at least.

It also has an interesting advantage - when I implemented partial-printing for curses, I naturally did it before the color translation, since that translation isn't used.. which led to a 30% speed increase in the drawing code.

There is absolutely no reason why I can't use the same mechanism for the other modes. That is, d18 will be faster. Possibly even noticably faster.

Will these changes affect only Linux based systems or will Windows see some improvements as well?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 10, 2010, 01:36:02 pm »

Reworking how partial-print works will definitely help on windows as well. You just won't be able to use curses text output, for obvious reasons.

And I'm pretty sure there's documentation of that in init.txt, but you use [PRINT_MODE:TEXT].

EDIT: ..oh yeah, d17-head doesn't /include/ init.txt. Eheh. Well, there you go.

binhex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 10, 2010, 02:06:15 pm »

Just a question about building d17, what linux distro are you using?

I've tried to build it on ubuntu and after installing all the required libs etc, I get an error along the lines of "package zlib not found". I've installed every zlib library on the apt repositories, and even downloaded and built zip from source. I think it may have something to do with me running on x64, but I downloaded all the libraries that should let me build 32bit apps.

Anyways, awesome work on getting curses output going!

If this is the wrong place to post this, could someone point me to the thread or wiki page that might answer this?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 10, 2010, 02:13:38 pm »

I'm using Arch.

zlib not having a pkg-config file is pretty typical, and can be fixed by editing SConscript, removing zlib's line and adding a 'z' to the env['LIBS'] list.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 10, 2010, 04:05:45 pm »

I've reworked partial printing in the latest d17-head, producing a fairly noticable (dramatic, almost) decrease in CPU use.

I can't say it'll increase in-game FPS all that much, but I bet someone will clap anyway. Rii~ight?

(My avatar? Yeah, I like that girl. She's just like me, really. Why?)

madman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 10, 2010, 04:13:05 pm »

I've tried to build it on ubuntu and after installing all the required libs etc, I get an error along the lines of "package zlib not found". I've installed every zlib library on the apt repositories, and even downloaded and built zip from source. I think it may have something to do with me running on x64, but I downloaded all the libraries that should let me build 32bit apps.

You'll need to install the ia32-libs (you probably already have this), then install the 32-bit version of zlib in the 32-bit emulation environment (at least that's how it works on Debian, I assume Ubuntu is similar). On Debian, I ended up having to do that from the command line using dpkg.

It's a bit of a pain (you have to deal with any dependencies yourself), and it's a security risk - as far as I know, the 32-bit versions of libraries will _not_ be automatically updated as part of regular updates.

Edit: the other way is to create a chroot 32 bit install, but that's a bit heavy handed for my liking.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 04:16:44 pm by madman »
Quote from: bluea
Compilers are Dwarves with the beards abstracted away.
They can pull completely amazing maneuvers, yet manage to die of thirst in the river.

Bergelmir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 10, 2010, 04:17:05 pm »

I can't say it'll increase in-game FPS all that much, but I bet someone will clap anyway. Rii~ight?

Sure we're clapping, because you're doing a great job! And thanks for the "TEXT" hint. ;)

I gave it a very short try and it was working quite nice. But I have the feeling that D18 is somewhat slower than the previous version on my machine. I will test it again with more patience on the weekend.

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #234 on: February 10, 2010, 04:25:57 pm »

Ooh, I can certainly use some speed improvements :) When will it be compiled for Windows?
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 10, 2010, 04:39:11 pm »

Whenever toady decides to release a d18.

madman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 10, 2010, 04:47:14 pm »

I'm clapping because for the first time I've been able to run Dwarf Fortress in something bigger than the default 80x25 window without completely crippling performance (the joys of having lots of graphics stuff emulated in software).  It now works great with 159x79 - a completely different experience!

I suspect that even with the big new release on the way and all the new stuff, the biggest usability enhancements for me will be what you have been working on.

I'm looking forward to trying the ncurses version.
Quote from: bluea
Compilers are Dwarves with the beards abstracted away.
They can pull completely amazing maneuvers, yet manage to die of thirst in the river.

DopeGhoti

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 10, 2010, 04:47:26 pm »

I just downloaded d17 and -head, unpacked, and tried to run, and was also getting the missing libjpeg error.

Per upthread, changing the path line in the'df' script to look like:
Code: [Select]
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:"./libs" # Update library search path.…allows it to start up properly.

This is on Ubuntu 9.10.

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net
« Reply #238 on: February 10, 2010, 06:37:08 pm »

The new text mode looks like this for me:

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 10, 2010, 06:53:43 pm »

I should probably mention this somewhere, but you need an utf-8 terminal. That image looks like it's set to latin-1 or so.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28