Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d17  (Read 124604 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d17
« Reply #270 on: February 11, 2010, 03:35:38 pm »

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ncurses/+bug/199952 <-- This bug seems to be related.

If you don't have a libncursesw.so.5 installed, DF's text-mode can't possibly work. The non-unicode version will not do. However, I could link probably statically instead.. yes, that makes sense.

Right, try this d17-head now.

EDIT: Apparently, ncurses can't be linked statically. Oh well.
EDIT2: Apparently, you /can/ use libncurses instead of libncursesw and get basically the same interface, for my purposes. Hmm. So done, and uploaded as head; but does it work?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 05:52:29 pm by Baughn »
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 11, 2010, 03:43:06 pm »

Still nothing outside of terminal, and terminal gives me:
mv: cannot stat `libs/libSDL*': No such file or directory
./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 11, 2010, 03:48:25 pm »

As has been stated up-thread, you can solve that by symlinking version 7 to 8. This is an ubuntu.. well, not quite bug, but slowness.

libjpeg 8 has been out for three weeks now. They could do with some speed.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 11, 2010, 07:36:30 pm »

As has been stated up-thread, you can solve that by symlinking version 7 to 8. This is an ubuntu.. well, not quite bug, but slowness.

http://oswatershed.org/
I'm not trying to start an argument, but 3 weeks isn't "bad" per say.  Overall the Ubuntu team is doing fairly well keeping up to date.  I'm downloading the latest head and maybe I'll find a newer version of libjpeg to fix that.  Thanks.

According to the above site, it looks like 8 should be available in Debian experimental.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

madman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 11, 2010, 09:35:05 pm »

So it will be out for Debian stable in a year or two?
Quote from: bluea
Compilers are Dwarves with the beards abstracted away.
They can pull completely amazing maneuvers, yet manage to die of thirst in the river.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 11, 2010, 09:53:46 pm »

So it will be out for Debian stable in a year or two?

Debian stable ... stable is the keyword here.  Something that is 3 weeks old is NOT guaranteed to be stable.  It requires time to test these libraries to ensure that they don't have major system breaking bugs.  I mentioned above, it looks like Debian Experimental has it, but I don't have Debian installed right now to check.  If you want bleeding edge, you don't look for "stable" builds.  There are usually testing or experimental builds for Linux distros that will eventually become stable when they work flawlessly.  This is the way most Linux distributions work.  Arch is a rolling release distro, so they may also be a better choice if you don't like waiting for your files to be tested thoroughly before blindly installing them.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 11, 2010, 09:59:48 pm »

So far I'm making a test fortress to help the scrounge for bugs and issues. I must say, this version's a lot more optimized and less memory-expensive. I've yet to encounter any real bugs, except for some music oddities. But I don't typically have sound on.

So far I'm building the foundations of a mass steel-processing facility to export to the mountainhomes in armor not worthy of the military and some random steel objects I make to train my workers.

All I can say is this is pretty awesome.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 11, 2010, 10:10:15 pm »

The only problem I've had (and I know it's likely my fault) is that I had a segfault on the first embark after generating.  Restarted, embarked and it's been fine so far.

Why do I say it's my fault?
cp /usr/lib32/libjpeg.so.62 ./df_linux/libs/libjpeg.so.8  ::) ;D

Damium

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 11, 2010, 11:51:56 pm »

I got it working (and compiling!) last night on my karmic 64bit. Here is what you need for packages:
ia32-libs (this gets you most of the required stuff)
lib32ncursesw5 (not the same as lib32ncurses5 installed with the ia32-libs)

Then: rm libs/libtiff* as the ones in the pacakge are linked against libjpeg8 so they will not work with karmic.

Finally, start it like this:
Code: [Select]
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./libs linux32 ./dwarffort.exe

I also had a segfault on my first embark but I don't think it is due to the libjpeg.so.62 vs libjpeg.so.8 difference as I had the same issue when I complied everything myself. I suspect some other difference in ubuntu 64bit is causing the issues. I was going to test a few things to see if I can narrow the issue down.

madman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 12, 2010, 02:19:09 am »

Debian stable ... stable is the keyword here.  Something that is 3 weeks old is NOT guaranteed to be stable.  It requires time to test these libraries to ensure that they don't have major system breaking bugs.
Actually, it looks like 8.1 is in testing, 8.2 in unstable already.

I run Debian stable for two reasons:
* I use this machine for work, so it's got to be very robust,
* I'm waiting for them to get some more of the kinks out of KDE 4 before I even think about going to testing,
* Every time I do a major upgrade, I break sound, and every time I need to do something _different_ to fix it.

I do like something that releases when it's ready, not to meet a deadline (*cough*, Redhat and Ubuntu). I've been burned by that. Anyway, enough of the before I start a flame war.

I linked libjpeg.so.8 to libjpeg.so.62 for the moment, but because I don't use any graphical tileset (in fact I think ncurses mode shows a lot of promise if the shift-arrows can be got to work), I'm probably not making much in the way of graphics calls.
Quote from: bluea
Compilers are Dwarves with the beards abstracted away.
They can pull completely amazing maneuvers, yet manage to die of thirst in the river.

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #280 on: February 12, 2010, 05:08:44 am »

And is there any chance, with ncurses, that someone may set up remote DF server like NAO does for nethack? So I can login there from anywhere, burn some elves and maybe even participate in some kind of "roster"?
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 12, 2010, 05:17:20 am »

And is there any chance, with ncurses, that someone may set up remote DF server like NAO does for nethack? So I can login there from anywhere, burn some elves and maybe even participate in some kind of "roster"?
Do keep in mind the huge, huge difference between how much computing power, etc. DF takes vs. Nethack. But, someone did, that's what inspired Baughn to add ncurses.

It's more a 'community server' than a 'play-your-own-game' server.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #282 on: February 12, 2010, 09:46:57 am »

Whoa, thanks :)
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 12, 2010, 10:28:08 am »

Ran this on a fresh install of Ubuntu - same numbers as Windows, which was cool. Also this is with the fixed FPS counter, so it might be more accurate to boot.

Also, Baughn, I've never much messed with the graphics rate cap - it's stayed at 20 for everything. Would you have any particular values for that setting? Should it stay at default? Is lower better? I might do some more tests of my own with it at 15, or 10, or 5. Just to see.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 12, 2010, 10:39:03 am »

Lower is better, but you're unlikely to actually notice the difference. Leave it as it is.

Anything about 20 is pretty much pointless; I can't tell the difference. However, 50 and above starts to run into screen refresh limits, and you get the game waiting for vsync instead of working; bad idea.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28