Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d17  (Read 124736 times)

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d17
« Reply #375 on: February 18, 2010, 08:50:54 pm »

You might try using something more effective than FRAPS.  You know, like a combination of SCFH DSF and VirtualDub?

3 Reasons:  1, I use WME9 instead of VirtualDub, so I've got the encoding thing covered.

2, about SCFH DSF:  I dont' speak Japanese

and 3, SCFH DSF is a windows overlay recorded meant for windows XP, which, like hypercam and camstasia, has problems recording from the aero desktop.  Fraps doesn't do rectangle selection or other overlay options, it records directly from the game.  Better quality, more control. 

Thanks though.
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Verdant

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 19, 2010, 01:49:21 am »

New to the forum, so i don't know if what i am doing is "Correct"

But, i have Windows 7.

when you maximize your window (either by dragging it to the top or click the button), and you try to check a dwarf's thoughts/preferences the game will crash 100% of the time.

i tried to stretch the window in random configurations and nothing else makes it crash. i also unplugged my secondary monitor to see if it affecting it, but it wasn't.

I don't Have Linux so i cant test it on that...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 19, 2010, 02:04:59 am »

New to the forum, so i don't know if what i am doing is "Correct"

But, i have Windows 7.

when you maximize your window (either by dragging it to the top or click the button), and you try to check a dwarf's thoughts/preferences the game will crash 100% of the time.

i tried to stretch the window in random configurations and nothing else makes it crash. i also unplugged my secondary monitor to see if it affecting it, but it wasn't.

I don't Have Linux so i cant test it on that...

What's your tile size and your monitor's horizontal resolution?

cooz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 19, 2010, 02:39:59 am »

Jef,
if you're playing DF in fullscreen, FRAPS since v2.9.8 is able to record non-dx/opengl programs on vista/win7 aero (there's tick for that in program's general settings tab).

Also I just checked and v3.1.0 which I have detects DF 2D mode without problems.

Verdant

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 19, 2010, 02:56:53 am »

What's your tile size and your monitor's horizontal resolution?

um, the tile size is whatever the default one is, i haven't messed around with that yet.  As for my screen its 1680x1050.

bit more testing (thanks to your query), it always crashes around the width of my screen.. say 1600-1800 or so, Anything over or under that is fine.

Small addition, I can actually view a dwarf's thoughts and THEN maximize the window and it wont crash. the words don't "wrap" to the new width but the frame does

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 19, 2010, 03:18:31 am »

um, the tile size is whatever the default one is, i haven't messed around with that yet.  As for my screen its 1680x1050.

bit more testing (thanks to your query), it always crashes around the width of my screen.. say 1600-1800 or so, Anything over or under that is fine.

Small addition, I can actually view a dwarf's thoughts and THEN maximize the window and it wont crash. the words don't "wrap" to the new width but the frame does

Yeah, thought so.  The issue is that the game can't reliably display more than 200 tiles horizontally (1600 pixels with the default 8x12 tiles), but it tries to use the full screen width anyway.  That's a bug that Baughn knows about and is planning to fix.  In the mean time, switching to a 16x16 tileset will prevent those crashes (instructions here).

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 19, 2010, 11:00:10 am »

I've fixed what there was to fix. The limit is supposed to be 256x256, not 200x200.. I'll ask Toady about it. It would be simple to just change the limit downwards, but there's probably a constant 200 somewhere it's supposed to be using the #define.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #382 on: February 19, 2010, 11:01:03 am »

Jef,
if you're playing DF in fullscreen, FRAPS since v2.9.8 is able to record non-dx/opengl programs on vista/win7 aero (there's tick for that in program's general settings tab).

Also I just checked and v3.1.0 which I have detects DF 2D mode without problems.

Yeah I have 3.1.0 as well ... Strange. 

cooz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 19, 2010, 12:31:06 pm »

Yeah I have 3.1.0 as well ... Strange. 

Did you try checking "Monitor Aero desktop (DWM)" option? I'm on win7 32bit, but I don't think it should differ from 64 bit version...

Bergelmir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 19, 2010, 01:21:32 pm »

Hi there,

I have a quite general question now: How do I know that the HEAD is updated and I should fetch it again?
Yeah, good question. The thread is getting quite long now and it would be good to know without reading the last five new pages. But I think it is not possible, without downloading the file.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #385 on: February 19, 2010, 01:47:47 pm »

Did you try checking "Monitor Aero desktop (DWM)" option? I'm on win7 32bit, but I don't think it should differ from 64 bit version...

Yeah it has it, but, I have 2 monitors running at 1280 and it wants to capture them both.  Theoretically I could just fudge my resolution to a dwarfy one and play with one screen off.  I'm gonna go with "I'm too lazy" for that one though.  Lotta work set up and take down. 

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 19, 2010, 02:54:36 pm »

Whenever I fix something and upload a new one, I state that I fixed it in this thread. You can then assume it has been updated.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

koitsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 19, 2010, 02:56:20 pm »

I don't speak Japanese either, but that doesn't stop someone from using the program since it's in English, and it didn't stop me from writing a familiarity guide.  So quick to pass judgement!  :)

and 3, SCFH DSF is a windows overlay recorded meant for windows XP, which, like hypercam and camstasia, has problems recording from the aero desktop.  Fraps doesn't do rectangle selection or other overlay options, it records directly from the game.  Better quality, more control.

I don't think you quite understand how FRAPS works (re: "records directly from the game"), but I digress.  Also, Aero means Vista or W7 is involved, and I can't really give any statements on how well SCFH DSF works on those.
Making life hard for others since 1977.

Bergelmir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 19, 2010, 05:12:47 pm »

Whenever I fix something and upload a new one, I state that I fixed it in this thread. You can then assume it has been updated.
Thanks for your answere. May I suggest to edit the first post on each update. Then the edit date indicates a new version. For me it would be very helpful.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #389 on: February 19, 2010, 05:46:53 pm »

I don't speak Japanese either, but that doesn't stop someone from using the program since it's in English, and it didn't stop me from writing a familiarity guide.  So quick to pass judgement!  :)

I don't think you quite understand how FRAPS works (re: "records directly from the game"), but I digress.  Also, Aero means Vista or W7 is involved, and I can't really give any statements on how well SCFH DSF works on those.

Sorry if I sounded rude or standoffish, I should have just said that it isn't really an option.  Thank you, though, for trying to help.  My bad.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28