Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d17  (Read 124733 times)

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d17
« Reply #390 on: February 19, 2010, 10:42:35 pm »

I can report that I used SCFH DSF today to stream a live screencast from Vista with DWM enabled and running, and SCFH DSF capturing the glass effects etc. too. I did lose some general performance doing it, but nothing really bad. However I didn't stream anything using 3D APIs, only regular 2D/GDI software.

SoggyDog

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hope is not a strategy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 20, 2010, 02:32:46 am »

Whenever I fix something and upload a new one, I state that I fixed it in this thread. You can then assume it has been updated.
Thanks for your answere. May I suggest to edit the first post on each update. Then the edit date indicates a new version. For me it would be very helpful.

I agree.
                                   “Yes,” I said. “Isn’t it pretty to think so?”
                                              – Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises (1926)

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 20, 2010, 06:13:28 am »

I've found something that doesn't seem to have been mentioned.  I have 2112 stones in my (rather small) fort, and I had reason to TRY to view them in the stocks screen.  However, when I try, the selection skips over them, going from logs to rough gems, and vice versa.  I had to use the page up/down method (usually used to skip over them) to view them.  I do not have this problem with a fort in 40d16 that has about 500 more stones.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 20, 2010, 06:37:59 am »

I've found something that doesn't seem to have been mentioned.  I have 2112 stones in my (rather small) fort, and I had reason to TRY to view them in the stocks screen.  However, when I try, the selection skips over them, going from logs to rough gems, and vice versa.  I had to use the page up/down method (usually used to skip over them) to view them.  I do not have this problem with a fort in 40d16 that has about 500 more stones.

I've got this same problem, in fact it skips over not just the stones but the next two items on the list.  I can then go up to get to the other two, but if I try to go up to the stones, it skips me three upwards, though I can still see the two non-stones normally by going back down.

Additionally, I managed to gen a map with 40d17 that apparently has nothing alive on it at all.  Even after a few years of play there's never been a single vermin, not swarms of flies or individual rats or butterflies, no fish in any of the pools or river.  No trees or shrubs, though there is grass and crops will grow where they usually would.  No wild animals wander onto the map from any of the three biomes that make it up.  It has a chasm that I've breached but there is nothing alive within (It otherwise looks normal), and it has an underground river, pond, lava pipe, and hfs as well though I've not broken into any of those yet.  The map does get seiges, and when merchants come they do bring living animals, and the animals on the map because of me can and do breed.

But there's no wildlife of any sort, it's really weird.  Other maps I've genned with 40D17 do have life, but I am guessing this is a bug, not a feature?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 20, 2010, 06:44:14 am »

Additionally, I managed to gen a map with 40d17 that apparently has nothing alive on it at all.  Even after a few years of play there's never been a single vermin, not swarms of flies or individual rats or butterflies, no fish in any of the pools or river.  No trees or shrubs, though there is grass and crops will grow where they usually would.  No wild animals wander onto the map from any of the three biomes that make it up.  It has a chasm that I've breached but there is nothing alive within (It otherwise looks normal), and it has an underground river, pond, lava pipe, and hfs as well though I've not broken into any of those yet.  The map does get seiges, and when merchants come they do bring living animals, and the animals on the map because of me can and do breed.

I believe that this is not a 40d# bug, because I think that I have experienced this same thing in regular 40d.  It may originate earlier than that, though.

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 20, 2010, 08:19:09 am »

Game always hangs a bit when going over the stones if there is any real amount of them.  Could be the hang for calculating the stones is preventing whatever takes keyboard input from realizing you've released the key.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 20, 2010, 10:40:38 am »

That's exactly it. I fixed that bug in 40d17-head, I'm pretty sure.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

elthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Photo[gallery]
« Reply #397 on: February 20, 2010, 11:12:28 am »

Haven't tested it a lot but first what i have noticed, whatever other programs needed to detect DF process running are now failing to do so. Means no visual fortress or stonesense :(

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 20, 2010, 04:58:14 pm »

That's because different versions will...look different in memory!
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 20, 2010, 05:57:55 pm »

Replying to old messages. I get " Warning - while you were reading 34 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.", so I don't think I'm going to dig them up to quote. Anyway..

First off, the probability of the 2D and text-only modes going in is pretty high, mainly because they add exactly zero work for toady; there's no change to his interface. Also, I can't exactly remove them easily.

Bugs fixed. Let's see.. Lost keys from hitting a modifier while holding two arrow keys, fixed. Deletion of a keybinding not updating its display string.. fixed. First post.. updated with date.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 20, 2010, 11:33:56 pm »

This is so awesome, I can get 100FPS with 20 dwarves!
It used to go so slow when I got past 7 :D
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 21, 2010, 07:54:16 am »

Mac link down?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 21, 2010, 10:31:39 am »

Mac version never compiled. d18 should be up tomorrow or so, which will have one.

Also: Fixed long-standing bug that caused occasional crashyness when movies (including the intro) were on. Now, it produces modern art instead. Try resizing DF while a movie is playing.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 21, 2010, 10:32:43 am »

What is new in d18?
The Bridge key binding fix?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 21, 2010, 10:35:07 am »

That would be nice. I'll poke it with a stick.

EDIT: I've also set play_macro to repeat_slow by default, which I'm sure will come in handy.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 10:41:17 am by Baughn »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28