Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d17  (Read 124696 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d17
« Reply #150 on: February 07, 2010, 07:32:37 pm »

THIS VERSION IS NOT THE NEW RELEASE, IT IS STILL DF0.28.181.40d AT BASE

just I/O tweaks and a port that're going to be merged into the next version.

Sorry, getting a bit annoyed with all of those...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 07, 2010, 07:32:55 pm »

It's just about possible that the recently fixed bug in d17 - which would cause uninitialized memory to be read for deciding what opengl settings should be used - might cause that kind of slowdown in some circumstances.

At any rate, try the 2D print-mode, see if that gets you at least a somewhat decent frame-rate. You can also try d17-head if you're on linux, otherwise I guess.. wait.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 07, 2010, 07:51:19 pm »

It's just about possible that the recently fixed bug in d17 - which would cause uninitialized memory to be read for deciding what opengl settings should be used - might cause that kind of slowdown in some circumstances.

At any rate, try the 2D print-mode, see if that gets you at least a somewhat decent frame-rate. You can also try d17-head if you're on linux, otherwise I guess.. wait.
Sudden realisation?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 07, 2010, 07:52:45 pm »

Somewhat. I don't really *believe* that, but it'd sure be convenient.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 07, 2010, 08:02:50 pm »

THIS VERSION IS NOT THE NEW RELEASE, IT IS STILL DF0.28.181.40d AT BASE

just I/O tweaks and a port that're going to be merged into the next version.

Sorry, getting a bit annoyed with all of those...
Oops, I apologize, that's a 'my bad'...

Trilo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2010, 08:42:02 pm »

I found two bugs:
1. when linking something to a lever the screen is not centered over the selected item but on the last selected item. When pressing enter the screen centers on the selected item.

2. in trade depot under the "move goods to" menu when i press s for Select and then press another key the game freeze.

I'm using the windows version.

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2010, 09:26:12 pm »

Tried the Linux version.  Frame rate is about 1/2 what the same save file is under Windows, regardless of what render mode I use.  Also, it only runs once.  If I quit and run the game again, the sound in the intro is mostly scratchy static, though the music in-game sometimes works, and I get about 6 fps and the interface lags behind key presses by 1 or 2 seconds.  Only way to fix it is to restart X. 

The same lag applies when pressing ALT+TAB, even after quitting DF.  No other keyboard input is lagged.

Ubuntu 9.10 I should say.  Radeon Mobility HD 3650 with the latest proprietary driver pack.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 09:29:55 pm by Zared »

Jesus05

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2010, 10:58:52 pm »

RepeatKey + Stock->Stones.
When select in stock Stones it take many time and for this time work Repeat when time is go Cursos is far away from Stones (if its no so Big time and cursor no check again Stones then it stay Infinity)

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 07, 2010, 11:15:56 pm »

Turns out that I can play 40d17 on my Windows PC! d16 is a peice of shit on my PC. I always play d16 play it on my Macintosh Powerbook G3. It runs SOOOOOO much faster! But d17 is totally OK! I can run it now!
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

piupau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 07, 2010, 11:45:22 pm »

Alright, got the new head working after using ln to make a link to libjpeg-8.so in the /df_linux/libs directory.

I have the same problem of running it fine once, but on the second run the sound is garbled. (using ALSA) Have to look into other options there.

The main menu runs at about 650 FPS, tripled from d16. The game itself runs at about the same speed when starting out (~100 FPS).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 12:39:00 pm by piupau »

Cult of the Raven

• Bay Watcher
  • likes beards for their dwarfyness
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2010, 12:31:49 am »

Hey, I'm having a problem where d17 is crashing occasionally.
I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit.
This was happening in d16 as well.
Anything I can do to try and fix this? what other information do you need?

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2010, 01:10:33 am »

LD_LIBRARY_PATH problem
LD_LIBRARY_PATH bad
LD_LIBRARY_PATH evil
LD_LIBRARY_PATH hell
 ;D

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set by default in Ubuntu 9.10* (64-bit version here), so the line:

Code: [Select]
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:"./libs" # Update library search path.
is pretty useless on many people's system. I had to change it to:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/lib32:/usr/lib32/:"./libs" # Update library search path.
for it to work, but if you want things to work automagically this is not the way to go.

The real, failsafe solution:
Quote from: man ld.so
$ORIGIN
              ld.so understands the string $ORIGIN (or equivalently ${ORIGIN})
              in  an  rpath specification to mean the directory containing the
              application  executable.  Thus,  an   application   located   in
              somedir/app   could   be  compiled  with  gcc  -Wl,-rpath,'$ORI‐
              GIN/../lib' so that it finds an  associated  shared  library  in
              somedir/lib  no matter where somedir is located in the directory
              hierarchy.

*well, at least those two commands yield absolutely nothing, and I haven't done any weird custom configuration:

env | grep LIBRARY
echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

------
Edit: also, I don't seem to have any sound.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 02:26:25 am by isitanos »

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2010, 03:12:29 am »

Okay, now head actually works with STANDARD. Speed is nearly same (15-25 FPS for 150 dwarfs fort), but that annoying double-enter-trigger bug is gone.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 08, 2010, 03:22:06 am »

If there is no LIBRARY_PATH set in the environment, the line in ./df sets it to ":./libs", which works just fine. No problem there.

The scratchy sound is a common consequence of using pulseaudio, apparently. What can I say? Pulse is a POS.

Whether keys repeat or not is configurable, you can switch out REPEAT_NOT for REPEAT_SLOW in interface.txt. I really need to make a proper in-game interface for that.

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 08, 2010, 04:35:40 am »

If there is no LIBRARY_PATH set in the environment, the line in ./df sets it to ":./libs", which works just fine. No problem there.

Err, no. Your changing LD_LIBRARY_PATH to ":./libs" is definitely messing something up.

As a proof, this is the output of ldd dwarfort.exe, where you can see that it knows where to find every library except for:

libboost_regex.so.1.35.0 => not found
 libgraphics.so => not found
that you bundle.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now look at what happens if I prepend your command:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now it looks for different libjpeg versions, and complains about not finding libjpeg.so.8.
It also now loads a whole bunch of libraries from ./libs instead of the system folders, even down to
libstdc++.so.6 => ./libs/libstdc++.so.6
If I don't add /lib32:/usr/lib32/ to LD_LIBRARY_PATH as I described in my previous post, here's what I get in the console:
./df
./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
This is with the HEAD tarball btw (which only contains a library file).

Thinking about it, I believe this is the problem: when the program defaults to loading from ./libs, since it loads your libs first, and then the system ones, it must load a mix of libraries that have dependencies on various versions of libjpeg. Does one of your libs depend on libjpeg.so.8?
When I add /lib32:/usr/lib32/ before ./libs, it reverts to loading system libraries first, and it fixes the problem. But we can't expect every user to do this manually.

They are trying to deprecate LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the Unix/Linux world. So why not do things the proper way, especially since it's dead-easy? (Unless there's a portability issue I don't know about...) Just configure your scons file so you end up with -Wl,-rpath,'$ORIGIN/libs' as a compiler option to gcc. This way you don't mess with system variables of evil repute, and it may even fix the problem above, by preserving the correct loading order of libraries (system first, then your custom ones).

The scratchy sound is a common consequence of using pulseaudio, apparently. What can I say? Pulse is a POS.

I don't even get scratchy sound, though. Just silence.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:37:38 am by isitanos »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28