Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Note to modders about FPS killing.  (Read 1123 times)

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
Note to modders about FPS killing.
« on: November 18, 2009, 06:57:49 am »

Just the facts which i found during the modding of my game:

1. Modding-in more layers DO NOT slows the game itself, but DEFINITELY slows the map generation process.

2. Adding more [ENVIRONMENT] and [ENVIRONMENT_SPEC] tags to SOILs slows the map generation even better.

3. Modding-in more soil layers DO NOT slows the game itself, but GREATLY slows the Finder during embarking.

4. Modding-in more aquifer soils DO NOT slow the embark, but SOMEWHAT slows the fortress mode when the more than one or two of aquifers are engaged in the same water utilization.

5. The [ENVIRONMENT:SOIL:somewhat] tag negates the [SOIL] and [SOIL_SAND] tags, as the soil layers that have the [SOIL_SAND] tag have sand (and are farmable without irrigation) but the inclusions of other soils do not have sand and are not farmable.
Finis sanctificat media.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Note to modders about FPS killing.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 07:04:31 am »

Nice research. However I see nothing about first-person shooter killing. So let me stay on topic: click left mouse button when your crosshair meets their head.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 08:30:49 am »

Nice research. However I see nothing about first-person shooter killing. So let me stay on topic: click left mouse button when your crosshair meets their head.
No that's how you kill in a first-person shooter. The only way to kill a first-person shooter is with an electromagnet and well-timed lightning strikes.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 08:38:49 am »

a good dwarfish hammer will kill your fps dvds in seconds.  Ditto on your hard drive
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 08:43:09 am »

I also believe that adding a bunch of (Semi)Megabeasts and powers also kills the first person shooter because of how many of those world gen needs to deal with.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 08:56:56 am »

No that's how you kill in a first-person shooter. The only way to kill a first-person shooter is with an electromagnet and well-timed lightning strikes.

No no no. You kill an FPS by taking too long to develop it, and then offering nothing new when it finally is released.

If you want to slow your Dwarf Fortress game to a crawl, however, you could do worse than adding [VERMINHUNTER] to a flying creature, or possibly even just removing [PATTERNFLIER]. Giving large numbers of creatures (especially fliers) [AMBUSHPREDATOR] is also a good way to slow down, and smell the sweet pods.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 09:34:27 am »

annnnnd if you want to mod things to get FPS to become INSAINLY fast, how could you tweak the game to do that?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 09:38:48 am »

annnnnd if you want to mod things to get FPS to become INSAINLY fast, how could you tweak the game to do that?

Remove weather, temperature, liquids, seiges, moods, mountains, animals, traders, stones, layers, metals, dwarves and fortresses from the game. You might get it to run at a decent speed then.

If that doesn't suit you, you can always pick and choose from
http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Maximizing_framerate

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 10:14:56 pm »

Nano Fort!!!
If life gives you lemons, burn them.