Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Wizard Duel Rules Discussion  (Read 12785 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Duel Rules Discussion
« Reply #135 on: November 07, 2009, 02:30:52 pm »

And I think I'll change the rules so that Light and Dark mages can't explicitly use their power. They'll have to mask it. I don't want it to be easy to get confirmed Tower wizards.
Except for final battles,my jaw drops at the epicness of a fight between pure light and pure darkness for the title of High Mage.

Ok, yeah, that could be fun.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2009, 08:10:40 pm »

Penultimate would also be fine(no time for side actions, votes to matter after), if foolhardy (other wizard knows your affinity)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2009, 05:34:12 pm »

You know, it might not be a bad idea to give the celestial mage a boost similar to that of a cabal mage (+2 to all stats).  That way, he can actually act as an anti-cabal combat role, rather than a particularly weak counterpart for the dark element.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2009, 05:44:21 pm »

I'm thinking of knocking the Cabal boost down to +1 instead of +2, and Archmage down to +2 instead of +5. I wouldn't be opposed to the Celestial Mage getting the +1, although getting +2 Healing might not be bad. (No wizard currently starts with a Healing factor, just health boosts)

I'm also thinking of bumping up the Health of all wizards by 10 to make the fights go on longer, although that'll need some testing to see how it effects the balance of everything.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2009, 07:33:52 pm »

I'm thinking of knocking the Cabal boost down to +1 instead of +2, and Archmage down to +2 instead of +5. I wouldn't be opposed to the Celestial Mage getting the +1, although getting +2 Healing might not be bad. (No wizard currently starts with a Healing factor, just health boosts)

I fully support this choice.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2009, 07:36:57 pm »

I dont. If Meph's role-decider keeps making me mafia, I need all the help I can get!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2009, 07:38:43 pm »

Yeah, but right now in a 3 v 1 scenario with a battle mage against you and you having no bonuses at all apart from your cabal stats, you still won. That is just wrong on so many levels.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2009, 09:11:57 pm »

What's the deal with healing anyway? I haven't seen any duel in the last game where healing took effect besides duel 3, and that ended right then and there.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2009, 09:13:46 pm »

Yeah, but right now in a 3 v 1 scenario with a battle mage against you and you having no bonuses at all apart from your cabal stats, you still won. That is just wrong on so many levels.
Im so boss.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2009, 10:35:40 pm »

What's the deal with healing anyway? I haven't seen any duel in the last game where healing took effect besides duel 3, and that ended right then and there.

It used to reduce teh damage you  take, not sure what it does now since i think Meph changed t.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2009, 12:17:13 am »

Yeah, I think I'm going to refrain from joining these for now. Involved in too much and tired of being pewpew'd early every time.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2009, 01:24:20 am »

Healing does two things. It reduces the amount of damage you take by a little bit (up to half of the healing bonus) and you regain your healing bonus in health each round. So, if I double the health of all wizards (roughly), we should have longer duels which will make healing more useful.
Come play Mafia with us!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2009, 05:15:20 pm »

I approve of raising the health of Wizards. The only way a wizard should be able to insta-shot another one should be through assists or innate bonuses due to role.

What would be the effect of making the random number rolls range from 0 to 10 instead of -10 to 10 like the way they are now? I think it might make fights last longer, because there won't be such dramatic unevenness in the rolls, but it shouldn't affect who should win. Element choice might have less of an effect, however.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2009, 04:54:35 pm »

All right, changes going in this time:

All Mages have their health raised by 10 points.
Warrior Mages have a bonus of +10 Health instead of +5 (so, 30 for a Tower Warrior Mage).

Time Mages now have an even higher chance of getting extra attacks and other mages cannot get an extra attack against a Time Mage.

Archmages have a +2 in all stats instead of a +5

Cabal have a +1 in all stats instead of +2

Celestial Mages gain +2 Healing and now are a perfect match against Dark magic, doing double damage and taking half.

The increase in hit points has an interesting effect. Generally speaking, if your opponent has no bonuses the two defensive Assists will help the most (Defense and Healing). If your opponent has bonuses the Attacking assists can be more helpful (Attack and Speed). Mixed bonuses are generally best, but it depends a lot on who you're fighting and the elements involved.

Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]