Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Let's Play Uncharted Waters  (Read 4529 times)

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Play Uncharted Waters
« on: November 18, 2009, 10:17:56 am »

What is Uncharted Waters?
Uncharted Waters is an exploring/trading/pirating sim released in 1991. Other than that, I'm in the dark and will learn as the LP progresses.

-   -   -

Eighty years ago today, my great-grandfather was called up by Prince Henry the Navigator to sail in the name of Portugal. His mission was to find the legendary kindgom of Prestor John. With the fleet of King Juan I under his command, he set sail for the coast of West Africa.

However, his adventure was short-lived. The fleet was wrecked in a violent storm and only one ship made it back.

They say my great grandfather was a valiant captain to the end. But even he sank to the depths of the sea with his fleet, never to return again.

It is difficult to describe the hardship my family then endured. In that one disaster we lost the head of the family and all our servants. Neighbors seized our land and plotted to destroy our noble name.

Although we had once lived in luxury, we became the focus of other people's ridicule. Every door closed where we went for help. This was the downfall of my family.

- From the diary of Lord Alcobaca

That's the story so far. It's February of 1502, and I'm supposedly the heir of the Alcobaca family. It really doesn't matter. I have a tiny ship, some gold, some goods, and the burning desire to be filthy rich. You will help me.

As to how you can help, first off my ship needs a name before I set sail. Pick something good. Since we're part explorers, there is no world map. We can find our longitude and latitude with a sextant, but that's only worth something if you know where things are in relation to you. To that end, I'll be drawing a map of the world as I sail. I'm highly skilled in the art of cartographing and it should be quite beautiful. Unfortunately, everything we sail past besides towns need names and I am no good at thinking them up. Islands, beaches, continents, etc. It doesn't matter if someone else already named it, we're explorer/trader/pirates and we do what we want. Most important, I need to know where to sail, what to buy, when to sell, and anything else that involves money. The second post will be reserved for accounting and port statistics to aid decisions.

-   -   -

Any who'd like to have a crewman named after them, ask. I'll have no more than ten for a time, but when I can afford extra ships that number will rise dramatically. Expect to die in interesting ways.

I stole the intro bit from the SNES version. I am playing the PC version, which does not have an intro. I'm not sure it actually has a story, or whether the devs knew I was more interested in shooting things and acquiring currency.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 04:31:07 pm by Zorgn »

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Uncharted Waters
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 10:18:16 am »

Ports, goods, and their costs.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Accounts.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 04:45:36 pm by Zorgn »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 10:41:36 am »

I remember this.
 All I can say is be prepared to either travel stupidly inefficent trade routes, pirte or fail miserably.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 08:59:02 pm »

I want a crewman.

I shall be a protip-spouting gunner.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:29:24 pm »

I wanna be the sail rat.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 09:37:06 pm »

I'll be a shanghai'd crewmate.

The Portuguese make good sailors, aye.

Name should be the "Bucha Canhao" which is a mangled and incorrect translation of the equalivent of the phrase "Cannon Fodder" in Portuguese.

We should just sail the coast and take what we need from the idiots too stupid to protect their assets.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 09:42:11 pm »

I shall be the random drunk Irishman.
Well I never played it, I don't know.

Ship Name: Waterlogged Hell

Edit: Scratch that Drunk thing, name me Ewan White, random Irishman gunner/first mate/helmsman/cartographer.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:47:42 pm by Phantom »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 11:26:50 pm »

Dave Portsmith would request to come aboard. Might I suggest The Bloody Colonoscopy for our ship name?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 11:33:06 pm »

Burning Dwarf for the ship, it's going to ensure we get caught in a fire!
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 05:03:47 am »

WAIT WAIT WAIT.

Name the boat, "murdered".
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 05:17:16 am »

Name the boat, "murdered".

I'll happily be on the crew, I have no idea how this game works though as I've never played it so don't expect much (any) advise :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 12:51:09 pm »

I rolled the following stats. I'm not sure what they do, but they're mine.
Authority 80
Judgement 70
Intellect 75
Courage 54
Strength 43

For now, I'll be writing this in the form of journals.

- - -

Feb 21, 1502
I woke up this morning well before dawn. What few posessions I had not sold to pay for ship and crew I packed in my bag and waited for the sun on the front porch.

The next few hours are  mostly a blur of shock and disappointment, but the important parts stand clear. The agent I had hired to arrange the purchase of ship and recruitment of crew had greatly wronged me. I expected an ocean going vessel, and recieved a second-hand coast hugger, the ill-omened "Murdered".

I expected a crack crew of the best men alive. Instead I had ten oddly named people who were probably firebugs at the very least.

Spartan 117, a twitchy man whose first act upon setting foot aboard the ship was to grab a cannon and yell "MINE!". At least he's enthusiastic about that part of the job.

Zchris shook my hand and disappeared into the rigging. No one has seen him since, but a hammock was spotted attached to the main mast, so I assume he's still aboard

Bucha Canhao immediately stood out as the best dressed sailor in his bright red shirt. He should do fine.

Ewan White's an indecisive northman. I'll move him to whatever needs to be done when the time comes.

Dave Portsmith, Shades, and four other crewmen are on the roster and somehow snuck aboard without me noticing. More on them when I have it.

They're not a bad crew, all told. I set the lot of them to paint 'Miri' over "Murdered" on the ship's side while I went to the market to buy goods for trade. I returned shortly with workmen hauling our new cargo of sugar to find the crew arguing on deck about sorcery and curses. When I went to investigate, I learned that they had failed to rid the ship of its former name. I even tried painting over it, and within moments the paint had disappeared into the wood leaving "Murdered' still upon the hull.

We're doomed, aren't we?

- - -

CHOICE:
NORTH or SOUTH?

We have a load of sugar that needs to be sold off. Do we head north around Europe, or south into the Mediterranean?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 01:10:44 pm »

Mediterranean. Those Barbary pirates won't know what's coming to them!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 01:13:53 pm »

Obviously south. It's the best direction, because penguins are that way!

Which reminds me, I'd like a crewman

Name: Mancom Treswood
Abilities: Failing in increasingly fantastic and spectacular ways.
Personality: Is stupid to the point of being a sort of demigod, whose own views on the world are fueled by such a strong imagination, they have a tendency to override the logical results.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 02:12:05 pm »

South is warmer so it must be good. Right?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: [1] 2 3