Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 442

Author Topic: Games Threshold Discussion and List  (Read 568377 times)

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
Re: Games Threshold Discussion and List
« Reply #1515 on: October 02, 2010, 01:42:43 pm »

Some of these older mafias look like they were really fun.
All of the games were fun.

All of them.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 01:45:44 pm by Zai »
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: October 02, 2010, 01:47:12 pm »

Some of these older mafias look like they were really fun.

paranormals, kingmaker, and one of the DF mafias(The one with the sly elf) seem to be really awesome games to me.
We knew how to make a Mafia game back then.

I guess technically, we still do, but it sounds cooler if it's said like that.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #1517 on: October 02, 2010, 02:27:27 pm »

Blorgh.

This subforum is currently miserable.  Games are dying and inactive.  We have only one game in signups, and it's almost full.  A lot of our regulars are missing.  The queue is empty.  No one is running off to mod.

So.  What are we going to run?  What do people want to play?  In a phrase, how do you think we should approach this situation?

Let me say in advance that I will join almost anything at this point, just to bring attendance up again.  I don't care if the mod is inexperienced, as long as they've played a couple games.  There have been worse catastrophes than inexperienced mods.

The problem isn't that we don't have enough games, the problem is that too many people are signing up for games and not bothering to play them.  The main reason I haven't bothered to actually put Sorcerer's Apprentice into sign-ups is that I don't know if there are enough active people left to make it interesting.

:(
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: October 02, 2010, 03:19:52 pm »

I'm in like 3 games right now, I don't like pushing past that.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: October 02, 2010, 03:31:21 pm »

The problem isn't that we don't have enough games, the problem is that too many people are signing up for games and not bothering to play them.

This is very true. A lurky game really detracts from the fun. But it's not the only problem. Not to point fingers or anything, but it's hard to keep interest in a game if it takes a week and a half to process night actions, Pandar, or even as little (!) as four or five days, Web. This only encourages people to be lurkier, and diminishes your standing to be able to then tell them not to lurk. Thus people lurk, making for fewer active games, and those become less fun.

I don't know how to fix this, but I'm sure actually running with the games and players we do have would be a good step. For other things, actually modkilling people for lurking will either make at least some games active, euthanize others faster, and possibly create a culture where all, even new players, grow accustomed to either show up or be lynched or modkilled. There are a lot of fun games ten or fifteen active people can have, and that very activity will generate a trickle of new players wandering through. The first time they are lynched or modkilled for lurking, they'll understand that to join that group, they have to be active.

Just sayin'. Yes, it sucks, but you partly created it with pavlovian responses. It may be necessary to train the dog to press the other button.

But never mind. Carry on. Navel-gazing is almost as fun.
My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #1520 on: October 02, 2010, 03:39:38 pm »

Oh, I completely agree with you.  My favorite mod is Mephansteras for precisely that reason.  You'll always know when the deadlines are (close enough anyways) and he gets the days up quickly.  Pretty much the only games I'm playing in nowadays.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: October 02, 2010, 03:46:23 pm »

Oh, I completely agree with you.  My favorite mod is Mephansteras for precisely that reason.  You'll always know when the deadlines are (close enough anyways) and he gets the days up quickly.  Pretty much the only games I'm playing in nowadays.

Yeah... I actually came here first hoping to join a paranormal or supernatural game, but just my luck, it was full back then, and then he launched that wizard duel thing with which I was utterly unfamiliar, so I didn't want to join it. I can't wait for it to be over so I can hopefully join in some alien-killing-dopp fun.

Props to Meph... I hope to play a game of yours soon. But the suggestion of modkilling lurkers stands for you too.
My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: October 02, 2010, 04:09:06 pm »

I think I can actually get my 7-player game (ZaiTheBastard Mafia) into sign-ups tonight. IS THIS GOOD?

It will be closed setup, but have little actual bastard-modding. So the name is actually a bit of a misnomer.

And I will insist on clear deadlines (if I say the Night is 24 hours, it's 24 fucking hours), so no worries there.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 04:11:47 pm by Zai »

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: October 02, 2010, 04:15:07 pm »

I think I can actually get my 7-player game (ZaiTheBastard Mafia) into sign-ups tonight. IS THIS GOOD?

It will be closed setup, but have little actual bastard-modding. So the name is actually a bit of a misnomer.

And I will insist on clear deadlines (if I say the Night is 24 hours, it's 24 fucking hours), so no worries there.
Would I be welcome?  :-\
DungeonEscape
Will you make it out alive?

Zai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: October 02, 2010, 04:17:12 pm »

Have you played a game of Mafia (variant or otherwise) before?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 04:29:10 pm by Zai »

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: October 02, 2010, 04:25:54 pm »

I'm in the BM and have played alot of epic mafia. If that counts.
DungeonEscape

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: October 02, 2010, 04:29:42 pm »

Yeah... I actually came here first hoping to join a paranormal or supernatural game, but just my luck, it was full back then, and then he launched that wizard duel thing with which I was utterly unfamiliar, so I didn't want to join it. I can't wait for it to be over so I can hopefully join in some alien-killing-dopp fun.

Props to Meph... I hope to play a game of yours soon. But the suggestion of modkilling lurkers stands for you too.

To be fair, they show up and post every once in a while. I think there needs to be a definitive list of requirements for modkilling.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: October 02, 2010, 04:30:48 pm »

I'm in the BM and have played alot of epic mafia. If that counts.
Then yeah, you should be fine.

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: October 02, 2010, 04:36:31 pm »

Bastard is when we don't know all the rules, right?
DungeonEscape

Zai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: October 02, 2010, 04:40:35 pm »

Bastard is when we don't know all the rules, right?
It varies from game to game, but typically yes.

This is mostly just a closed setup game; you won't know any roles beside your own.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 442