Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 443

Author Topic: Games Threshold Discussion and List  (Read 585274 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Games Threshold Discussion and List
« Reply #2880 on: June 16, 2011, 09:39:26 am »

=====[]  HAMMA

I'll probably put something else up after Dethy Deluxe is done.  Any requests?

I was tossing around the idea of an RTD Mafia, where I'd roll a d6 on everyone's action to see just how successful it was, following standard RTD rules.  Interest check?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 am »

Nononono, randomness + mafia = disaster.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: June 16, 2011, 10:29:16 am »

That was my general thought, but I thought Roguelike went well.

(I'm also down for Roguelike 2)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: June 16, 2011, 11:33:42 am »

I hate hammers >______>
The advantage is that you actually have to form a consensus in order to lynch someone when you're playing with hammers.  In a hammer game, the town agrees to lynch someone, some people compromise and change, and then the person who the town regards as most scummy is lynched.  In a nonhammer game, all too often a bunch of votes are thrown around, no consensus at all is reached and a semi-random person is lynched at the end of the day (after the mafia decides to lurk it out since none of them have the 3 votes out of 15 that the person about to be lynched has).

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: June 16, 2011, 12:06:57 pm »

The sad part is with deadlines you can have the entire scumteam take out every player during the Day by having them gangvote people if no one decides to play. If you provide a reason that's even somewhat legitimate, you can get away with it. And people will think you're scumhunting, since you'll be the only ones participating.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: June 16, 2011, 02:12:54 pm »

Nononono, randomness + mafia = fun
/fixed

I could see that work.

[1] You get a false inspect or the kill gets redirected to your prot target.
[2] Nothing happens.
[3] "Your target is no serial killer". Or you die if you protect and your target gets attacked.
[4] Success.
[5] Success, plus you find out who attempted to kill or what powerrole your inspect target has.
[6] Success, but everybody knows you targeted somebody.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: June 16, 2011, 02:23:39 pm »

Horribly broken for the Town.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: June 16, 2011, 02:24:51 pm »

If you include mafiakills, yeah. They should probably be exempt or something

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: June 16, 2011, 03:03:09 pm »

I was thinking the standard Mafiakill would be exempt, but give all/some scum an amped kill subject to RTD rules.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: June 16, 2011, 05:54:57 pm »

Be very careful. Balance should be maintained even if everybody rolls a 6, so assume as such every time. Also, the town is going to be getting more 6's than the mafia, so the mafia dice should probably be a little loaded compared to the town.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: June 16, 2011, 05:59:35 pm »

[6] Success, but everybody knows you targeted somebody.
This would actually probably be better than 5, in a way.  Gives you an alibi, so to speak ("I didn't kill Mr Body because I was busy targetting someone else last night").

...Speaking of which, I need to finalize the Evidence Mafia ruleset.  Hmm.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: June 16, 2011, 06:08:08 pm »

Be very careful. Balance should be maintained even if everybody rolls a 6, so assume as such every time. Also, the town is going to be getting more 6's than the mafia, so the mafia dice should probably be a little loaded compared to the town.
That fails basic logic: The Town is also going to get more 1s. Should the Mafia's dice be loaded so they get more 1s, too? So, by all of this combined logic, there should be an equal chance to get any number. Which is what is already supposed to happen.

However, if you were going to do an RTD Mafia to begin with, the Mafia would probably have no rolling to begin with. That would be a reason for them to be wanted dead to begin with. But, if that were to be, there shouldn't be things like "1: You straight up die." It'd be like, "1: Your ability fails and you cannot use your ability the following Night." there shouldn't be things like "5: You find out all of the Mafia." It'd be something like, "5: Your inspection is in the form of 'Inspect Successful. Webadict is Mafioso (Mafia).'" This doesn't follow normal RTD procedure, but if it did, the game would be over really fast with several deaths right away.

Your normal expectations for RTD protocol will likely make the game not quite up to your standards. Luck, itself, is a bit of a hassle to balance. It's doable, definitely, but you have to be skilled to do it.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: June 16, 2011, 07:27:30 pm »

That fails basic logic: The Town is also going to get more 1s. Should the Mafia's dice be loaded so they get more 1s, too? So, by all of this combined logic, there should be an equal chance to get any number. Which is what is already supposed to happen.

What I mean is that since the town has more players and thus more rolls than the mafia, they're going to have more power if all their actions are equal. Now, this can be solved in a myriad of ways. The most direct would be to simply make the mafia have better effects on good rolls and not as bad effects on low rolls, but then you're running into power creep. You could ignore the problem and just accept that the mafia will be weaker. A varient would be to balance things out so that the mafia being a bit weaker is fine by, for instance, having a smaller than normal town or with cetain 3rd parties. The manner I would balance things out is to simply make it so that the mafia either aren't random or by being always good on any roll. It wouldn't be power creep persay because the high rolls would be the same either way; the only change is on what the low rolls do. My original idea was that last one, but now I actually like the mafia not being random at all more.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: June 16, 2011, 07:36:35 pm »

Or, ya know, not every townie has a power role.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: June 16, 2011, 10:47:27 pm »

Or, ya know, not every townie has a power role.

Well obviously, I'm just saying that for the town to have any shot, it has to have more power than the mafia has. I'm ALSO saying that if all of the mafia's power is in a die roll, that can lead to "2, nothing happens for the mafia" while the rest of the town runs around gathering information and whatever it is they're doing.

Addendum: The game should also be balanced if everybody rolls a 1. It should be balanced no matter what combination of rolls comes up.

Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 443