Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An Experiment Gone Wrong...  (Read 2059 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
An Experiment Gone Wrong...
« on: November 18, 2009, 01:48:17 pm »

Alright, well this is the first mafia I've ever hosted. Second game I've ever been involved in for a matter of fact, but I got an idea I liked and I wanted to see if anyone was interested.

Deep beneath the earth, an underground laboratory was at work on a secret compound. Funded by the military, a biological compound that would grant it's user with immense power was being developed. Security was compromised however, and operatives from other agencies infiltrated the premise, taking the place of several scientists. They were after the compound. Worse still, it seems one of the scientists was somehow exposed to the compound before it was ready...

This Mafia game will be slightly more role-heavy than most games. This is because one of the players will be Dr. Jekyll, who turns into the fearsome Mr. Hyde at night, who will kill every time he transforms. At dawn, he will turn back into Jekyll. Here is the catch though; Jekyll does not know what happens at night. That's right, this game features a Serial Killer who does not realize he is the Serial Killer.

How does this work? Well, if at any point in the game Hyde realizes who he is, he gains all his powers. So instead of a 'random' person being killed each night(It's not truly random, as I will weight it based on what conflicts or rivalries I perceive between Hyde and others), he will then get to chose who he kills. This is why roles are important. Several roles can determine who he is directly. Others might be interfered with(Hyde is NK immune due to his transformation, as he goes out and kills others). This also means that if Hyde attempts to do something at night and fails, this might be because he transformed and killed someone instead.

Rules/roles will be posted later, this is just to see who is interested.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 02:07:59 pm by RandomNumberGenerator »
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An Experiment Gone Wrong...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 03:58:33 pm »

Please, please, PLEASE finish BMV and a few more games before you try to host anything.  We've got too many games running right now.  So head over to the mod-thread and add your game there, please, so that you can make sure to talk things over with the other mods and see if there's space for your game.

That said, this looks somewhat interesting, though the choice of Hyde's kill by the mod is probably quite a bad idea.  The mod has too much information and will end up heavily biasing the game in Hyde's favor, which is completely unfair for the town.  You'd probably have to think of some other, similar mechanic.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 04:16:36 pm »

It's not that unbalancing. The mod just roll a die, and that person will be randomly killed by Mr. Hyde.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 04:17:12 pm »

It's not that unbalancing. The mod just roll a die, and that person will be randomly killed by Mr. Hyde.
That's not quite what the OP says...

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 04:20:01 pm »

And what keeps everyone from posting "I am Dr. Jekyll" and thus nulling the period in which the kill is random?
It doesn't break the game, but it makes the hidden-SK mechanic vanish in a puff of logic.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 04:48:16 pm »

And what keeps everyone from posting "I am Dr. Jekyll" and thus nulling the period in which the kill is random?
It doesn't break the game, but it makes the hidden-SK mechanic vanish in a puff of logic.
I'll have them PM me why they think they're Jekyll.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 04:51:00 pm »

I'll have them PM me why they think they're Jekyll.
"Because I talked to so-and-so, and he died"

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 05:13:55 pm »

There could be a disadvantage to false claiming. Such as, flavour-wise, the character jumps off a cliff to check if they have the strength needed to survive. If they are Dr. Jekyll, they transform into Hyde before they hit the ground and they survive. If they aren't, they die.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.