Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A request for some help...  (Read 1425 times)

As Always

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A request for some help...
« on: November 18, 2009, 11:18:20 pm »

Hello all,

I'm in the middle of making a new civ mod, and it's my first shot at it. Basically it's a zombie mod, which has been done before, yes, but the idea is that the new zombie civ will be huge in numbers but with little equipment and no weapons. It works to the point that it seiges my fort, but whenever one of these new zombie creatures appears on the map - either embarking with a zombie city in the local area or waiting for a seige to hit - dwarf fortress crashes.

Entity_Zombie
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Creature_Zombie.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks for any help anyone can give - I've heard you guys are good at this stuff, haha.
"...Although, how you misplace an entire corpse is beyond me."

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: A request for some help...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:53:35 pm »

does errorlog.txt say anything?

edit: The only thing I see out of the ordinary is the maxage value, but I don't think it would cause a crash like that.  Another possibility is that the fact that they're named zombies is somehow conflicting with the hardcoded zombies, maybe try a test-run with them renamed to be "infected" or something like that. 

edit2: maybe a two-word attack isn't allowed, try changing "flail at:flails at" to punches or strikes.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 12:03:03 am by nil »

As Always

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 12:16:16 am »

Well, Nil, that fix seems to have worked. My bet is that it was the two-word attacks, since the game still refers to them as 'zombie' even though I renamed it to 'infected'.
The next problem now is that they don't react to my dwarves. I've started with a zombie town inside the local area and I see all the zombie milling about, but they just stand there, moving rarely. I activated all my dwarves into the military and stationed them in the midst of them, but there has been no reaction.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 12:18:36 am »

I think starting on a city is still bugged to where you wont be attacked by the city on which you settle, correct? That would explain that part.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

As Always

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 12:25:01 am »

In that case, since the last fortress got a seige and crashed, it is safe to assume that they are indeed hostile, and now that it doesn't crash I will make a new fortress and wait out a seige.

Thanks for the help, all!
For anyone who wants to use this mod, from the original post I changed the maxage to 30:500, and the 'flail at:flails at' to 'strike:strikes'.

Now to change the tile from a U to the mayday's zombie sprite... I'm sure that won't be too difficult.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 01:16:44 pm »

does errorlog.txt say anything?

edit: The only thing I see out of the ordinary is the maxage value, but I don't think it would cause a crash like that.  Another possibility is that the fact that they're named zombies is somehow conflicting with the hardcoded zombies, maybe try a test-run with them renamed to be "infected" or something like that. 

edit2: maybe a two-word attack isn't allowed, try changing "flail at:flails at" to punches or strikes.

Max Age will have nothing to do with it. Nor will multiple words in the attack. The Martial Arts Mod reads you a whole short story every time you take a swing at someone.

Maybe it is the name [ZOMBIE]. It's possible there's something wierd with the body too. Might be worth having a look there, to see that you haven't got them attacking with a bodypart they don't have. I can't remember offhand if HUMANOID includes a mouth as standard

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 12:44:15 am »

1) CREATURE:ZOMBIE is not a problem. If you look in the Zombie mod (link), it works just fine.
2) Two words attacks are fine, I have ~10 words on some of my magical creatures and it works finely.

since the game still refers to them as 'zombie' even though I renamed it to 'infected'
It shouldn't. Again CHECK your errorlog.txt and post the results here. And clear your DATA/OBJECTS folder.
I think [NOT_BUTCHERABLE] is obsolete with the new ethics, check your errorlog.

They have no [EQUIPS] tag, how are they supposed to wear all those things from the entity file?

My bet is that it has something to do with [SLOW_LEARNER] and [SWIMS_LEARNED] while they have no [CAN_LEARN]. I don't see how they can be slow learners and learn how to swim while they don't have an appropriate tag which makes them to be able to learn.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 12:46:44 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 12:52:18 am »

[NOT_BUTCHERABLE] should be fine.

[SLOW_LEARNER] is simply a slower substitute of [CAN_LEARN]; having both tags on at once would cause more problems than having either one.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 12:55:08 am »

Then it's fine. I have used this tag only once and with [CAN_LEARN], it was working finely.

[NOT_BUTCHERABLE] should be fine.
Yeah, I've checked it again and it's ok. I mulled it with BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD which is obsolete now.

Anyway, if your errorlog says nothing, could you send the copy of your files? It would be easier to spot any problem this way. Just RAR the /raw/objects/ folder.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository