Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Holy crap that's evil...  (Read 17294 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: Holy crap that's evil...
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 02:27:22 am »

I think a spike-trap lever will do for these ***holes. One likes shields, the other gauntlets and boots.

Edit: with only one wooden spike, of course. Of course, my carpenter is a badass sooo.....

Then again, impaling someone is so medieval there's no way I can resist!
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 02:57:47 am »

I think a spike-trap lever will do for these ***holes. One likes shields, the other gauntlets and boots.

Edit: with only one wooden spike, of course. Of course, my carpenter is a badass sooo.....

Word
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 03:04:03 am »

Nice. I got a little giggle out of that.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 10:02:05 am »

...It's the only way to give my werewolves names, since none of the dwarves seem to want to adopt them...

Yeah, well. They are werewolves.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 10:33:47 am »

I have for a while been attempting to build an automated device for breeding and butchering animals, whereby animals are bred, killed, and turned into bones, meat, and other animal products without constant intervention and micromanagement on my part.  This has not yet been completely successful.  The latest version of this involves a one-square room in which a dozen wild rabbits (Dig Deeper mod) are forced to stand on a down staircase built over open space.  8 Z-levels under the stair is a refuse stockpile and a butcher's shop.  In theory the rabbits should give birth, dropping the young into the pit where they will die, and their corpses landing on the refuse pile will automatically generate a butcher animal job in the butcher's shop.  Once I've verified it works with rabbits I'll move up to more interesting wildlife.

You think a puppy mill is evil?  Here's an automatic device in which rabbits are confined in tiny spaces over death-pits, and the first thing the little baby bunnies experience on being born is falling to their death and being turned into rabbit meat stew and rabbit bone bolts.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 11:15:59 am »

Wouldn't the baby rabbits just be born onto the stairs and stay there?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 11:28:25 am »

Hmm, baby annimals fall through down stairs when they are born? Did you confirm that yet? If so, that would be convenient.

Ideas I had were all a lot more complicated, like chaining down the mature females and flowing water over them to wash away their young to their young, but retrieving the corpses without me having to turn the flow on and off is a pain. Lots of cancelation spam.

So, the next idea is to make a shaft, surrounded niches in which the female annimals are chained, and with the shafts rim lines with bridges which the chained annimals cannot reach, and which automatically get retracted back and forth, thus flinging newborn annimals down the shaft, into the butchery, then into the tannery and stockpiles. Its a rather convenient desing, as you can make it any number of z-levels tall with just 1 shaft and 1 repeater device. Though probabaly a lot more complicated then the down-stair thing.

I havnt build the last one though, my latest fort ran into some trouble. Or rather, the throuble ran into my fort. Literally, and the trouble was modded and most wicked indeed... I had only 6 dwarfs, but luckily a dozen immigrant were willing to sacrifice themselves to allow 3 to survive.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 11:34:53 am »

Hmm, baby annimals fall through down stairs when they are born? Did you confirm that yet? If so, that would be convenient.
Baby animals falling through stairs is a theory I'm testing, based on the idea that stairs don't stop falling creatures and babies are created falling in the same square their mother is in.  I'll let you know when I confirm or deny it.  Rabbits are on the stairs now, so just need to wait the half year or so it takes them to give birth.  If it works, it'll be convenient.  Otherwise I'll have to deconstruct the whole thing and try something else.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 12:48:05 pm »

I thought you'd made a way to actually mill dogs into dog flour.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2009, 03:56:31 pm »

There are ways to be nice while productive I guess =P

With nobles if I find them too irritating I think I'll just arrange a cave-in accident in a cave trap room, knock them out and catch them into a cage trap, build the cage trap near the well and hey-presto, your noble is cared for and doesn't make a nuisance of themselves.

I also got bored with the idea of animal good production lines for the sake of no-autonamy, I like the down--stairs idea, I know from defenses I've seen that if you stun an enmy or something while they are on down stairs that they will fall through when they otherwise wouldn't go down. Personally I'd reccomend taming the rabbits as that seems to allow breeding to kick up a notch, also if the babies don't fall down then I'd reccomend channelling a tile perimeter around as I do remember stories of pregnant marksdwarves giving birth on walls only for their babies to fall off the edge into rivers and stuff. Though I forget if that is because of a crawl habit

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 04:26:57 pm »

Come on, this is a bunch of amateur stuff. Puppy mills aren't nearly as bad as the fort where I perfected a large-scale system of throwing children into the magma vent.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 04:39:08 pm »

Come on, this is a bunch of amateur stuff. Puppy mills aren't nearly as bad as the fort where I perfected a large-scale system of throwing children into the magma vent.

Ah, yes, the Child-B-Q. That was awesome.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 05:08:20 pm »

I thought you'd made a way to actually mill dogs into dog flour.
That'd explain how my chef is making biscuits out of dog meat.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2009, 12:35:21 am »

Nice. Werewolves? Mod, or normal?

Mod, but only to the extent that I threw in [PET] to make them tameable and a tag to allow them to breed.

I'm considering adding [trAINABLE], too. Warweres. It's a pity I can't armor the beasties. :)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2009, 12:36:52 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Word
Ah, good old Vlad the Impaler. Many immigrant blenders are based on his work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7