Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Holy crap that's evil...  (Read 17313 times)

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
Re: Holy crap that's evil...
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2009, 12:45:39 am »

I think a spike-trap lever will do for these ***holes. One likes shields, the other gauntlets and boots.

Edit: with only one wooden spike, of course. Of course, my carpenter is a badass sooo.....

Then again, impaling someone is so medieval there's no way I can resist!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Word
Ah, good old Vlad the Impaler. Many immigrant blenders are based on his work.
Wait, Vlad Dracula the Impaler, known for his many executions by impalement, who was eventually killed by impalement, and then became the legendary Count Dracula, King of Vampires?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2009, 12:49:15 am »

I think a spike-trap lever will do for these ***holes. One likes shields, the other gauntlets and boots.

Edit: with only one wooden spike, of course. Of course, my carpenter is a badass sooo.....

Then again, impaling someone is so medieval there's no way I can resist!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Word
Ah, good old Vlad the Impaler. Many immigrant blenders are based on his work.
Wait, Vlad Dracula the Impaler, known for his many executions by impalement, who was eventually killed by impalement, and then became the legendary Count Dracula, King of Vampires?
I do believe he is the one. His most famous work was when he invited all of the poor peasants to his manor for a feast. He then killed them all to make his countdom more "rich". He would have been the most epic dwarf noble...

Count Dracula has set a new mandate: 10 human bone objects...
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2009, 12:53:23 am »

Yes. Vlad loved impalement, even when he was held prisoner by the Ottomans he impaled rats and other vermin critters that made the unwise journey to his cell. I learned this from the History channel.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2009, 01:04:33 am »

Yes. Vlad loved impalement, even when he was held prisoner by the Ottomans he impaled rats and other vermin critters that made the unwise journey to his cell. I learned this from the History channel.

I just got an image of Snake crawling around in tunnels spearing rats for food with a spoon.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2009, 10:22:45 am »

In his defense, he was thought of as "hard but fair" by many of his citizens; most of his ire was directed at the nobles under him, or actual criminals. Hell, he's a national hero in Romania, as a man who stood up to and smashed down enemies foreign and domestic.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2009, 10:45:17 am »

See, that's the difference between good and evil. Vlad crossed it with the deadly fake feast.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2009, 11:14:05 am »

In his defense, he was thought of as "hard but fair" by many of his citizens; most of his ire was directed at the nobles under him, or actual criminals. Hell, he's a national hero in Romania, as a man who stood up to and smashed down enemies foreign and domestic.

True dat. It was said that he could take a golden chalice and place it in the middle of a town by the well - where everyone went. NO ONE dared to take it, because they knew that even the pettiest of crimes resulted in impalement.

Though he could be a real dick. I heard that a noble or merchant or such was in his castle attending a meeting and Vlad had a few old corpses impaled outside. They stunk real BAD - so the noble frowned. Vlad asked "what is the matter?" and the man told him that the stench from the corpses bothered him.
 So Vlad had the man imprisoned and ordered an EXTRA TALL stake to be fashioned, upon which the noble was impaled far above the others. Grinning, Vlad said to his guards "now that he's up there he cannot smell the stench anymore!"

... but in reality we have to ask ourselves what the truth in all this is. People love to make up stories and the noble-impalement-thing doesn't exactly sound "fair" at all. If we look at other historical figures like Joseph Goebbels, I read in a history book that after a great speech that sent patriotism and pride into the hearts of nazis.. he said to one of his personal men "What an hour of foolishness! if you tell the people to jump off a cliff they will do so!" or something.

I just have to ask myself. What the fuck? Why would Joseph go and say something stupid like that? Not only does the quote imply that he didn't believe in the cause, but it implies that his personal men didn't either. They were only "bad men" who manipulated the population - and they spoke freely about it too which isn't the best idea since half the world is trying to get spies into their midst.
 Hearsay and exagerations that someone later puts into their memoirs without questioning sources, and later history books adopt this as truths ... that's what I think. So let's take it all with a pinch of salt.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2009, 12:28:03 pm »

I thought you'd made a way to actually mill dogs into dog flour.

"I'll grind his bones to make my bread!"

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:BONE_FLOUR]
[NAME:make flour out of bones]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BONES:NO_SUBTYPE:BONE:DOG]
[PRODUCT:100:1:POWDER_MISC:NO_SUBTYPE:BONE:DOG] (I'm not sure that reaction will work)

[Edit] Even if that does work the powder will not be in a bag and thus not usable and I don't think that will make a powder you can cook with...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 12:35:58 pm by sunshaker »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2009, 01:16:15 pm »

I know everyone currently uses the smelter to do all their custom dirty work, but could you assign bones to be millable, with a reaction at the mill producing a bag of dog bone meal?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 01:51:41 pm »

I know everyone currently uses the smelter to do all their custom dirty work, but could you assign bones to be millable, with a reaction at the mill producing a bag of dog bone meal?

Not currently. Only plants are millable. Reactions only work in the Smelter (next (big) version though some of the other workshops will allow reactions and you can also build custom workshops), it does all the dirty work because it is the only one that can do it.

You can however make a smelter reaction that will turn bones into a plant and you can make that plant millable (just be sure to not give said plant seeds or a biome other wise it will spawn in said biome and be farmable).

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 01:59:44 pm »

Not currently. Only plants are millable. Reactions only work in the Smelter (next (big) version though some of the other workshops will allow reactions and you can also build custom workshops), it does all the dirty work because it is the only one that can do it.

You can however make a smelter reaction that will turn bones into a plant and you can make that plant millable (just be sure to not give said plant seeds or a biome other wise it will spawn in said biome and be farmable).
This causes silly whithering bone plants though... I allways find that such things kinda break the feel of the game.

Looking forward to the next version, can do sooo much more neat stuff in modding in these smaller game mechanics then. (and with tons of other stuff...)
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2009, 02:05:51 pm »

Maybe teh next update will let BONECARN races mill bones to flour.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2009, 03:44:51 pm »

He also worked for the Pope.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2009, 04:06:19 pm »

Hmm I'm getting an education on Vlad. And not only do I not care, but without substantiation I doubt the veracity of most of it!

Anyway, back to cruelty:

I have these rulers/local leaders in cages, both orcs and goblins. And I'm wondering what ta do wit em. Soooooo...

I have spent two years constructing a gigantic glass-window-walled maze, which I am now installing the windows in and setting the traps in. I have a Titan, on whom (if he isn't hostile to them) I will put the pet_exotic tag before I drop him in behind some glass walls. The Titan should always be able to see the orc/goblin, who will run the maze, complete with its dead-end-makers and its little spike pits of doom, as the Titan tries to catch him by also running the maze.

This should be one hell of a treat. Unfortunately, it's taking forever to construct because I am trying to really do it right.

On the other hand, I am completing a multi-level arena with glass viewing platforms (dwarves can see through glass windows as if nothing were there) and I may prematurely begin executions there. Titan Tests, if you will.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2009, 04:35:58 pm »

Regarding your glass titan maze, you might want to remove the BUILDINGDESTROYER tag from your Titan first, or else he might go and break all of those windows in an attempt to path to the goblins and orcs.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7