Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Holy crap that's evil...  (Read 17151 times)

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
Holy crap that's evil...
« on: November 18, 2009, 11:18:32 pm »

In my forts I like to have a lot of wardogs assigned to my military dorfs. They're good as chasers and for sniffing out hidden foes. This necessitates a large number of dogs being brought at embark so I can get some breeding going. Once a litter of puppies has been born I place the extras in cages to avoid clogging up my halls. Once they're full grow it's off to the kennel to be trained.

I just realized today.....I made a friggin puppy mill in my fort. Holy crap am I evil.

You guys ever have a similar revelation while playing DF?

In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy crap that's evil...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:20:26 pm »

Do a search for mermaids.  ;)

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 11:21:22 pm »

Oh trust me I know about that. We are some fucked up people.
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 11:32:27 pm »

How about cat milling?
And then there is the large animal mill ( bears whales camels ) .
The goblin/elf/kobold/orc/human mills.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 11:36:49 pm »

I've milled my share of helpless pet animals. I one fort I was milling muskoxen, but they started to overpopulate. I solved this issue by placing them all in one wooden cage and dumping it into magma.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 12:37:45 am »

I actually didn't arrange to kill a female cat in Dig Deeper, despite the risk of eventual catsplosion, because I saw it carrying around a dead mouse as a kitten and went 'awww...'

On the other hand, I set up a set of gargantuan steps so I could research how far you can drop an orc before it dies, so I'm not setting myself up as a total knight in shining armour...
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 01:25:11 am »

Wow, what a coincidence! I am milling in my new fort on the largest scale ever:

1. Dogs
2. Muskoxen
3. Horses
4. Donkeys
5. Cats (still not sure what to do with em yet. Might see how many tame cats it takes to kill an Orc Wrestler)
6. Raccoons
7. Deer (they keep wandering into traps!)
8. Cows
9. Two-humped Camels
10. Soon Jaguars, Elk, and Mountain goats when I have breeding pairs.

The question is: what to do with the things? I keep a few mating pairs of each chained up, and dozens in cages. I've started slaughtering donkeys in sheer self-defense, but the leather from most of these animals isn't worth jack. And when traders will bring more exotic leather than a legendary+5 can go through in a couple of years, it's getting to be downright silly.

I also have around 30 caged wardogs. Should find a use for them! I think assigning a couple to every legendary dwarf will be a good use.

Edit: Nevermind. I just checked, and I have 67 unassigned war dogs. Since they are almost all assigned to one cage, that is even more absurd than it sounds. And the fort is only in its 6th year!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 01:27:12 am by The Architect »
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 01:27:45 am »

A dog got stuck in my magma pumping tower (on a safe tile). Its owner walled it in. So I left it there.

Last I checked, it had given birth twice and was standing on six puppies.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 01:31:01 am »

I DEBATE THAT POINT!

Every dwarf knows that mermaids are simply highly evolved sea monkeys! No need to feel guilty over slaughtering them just because they look humanoid.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 01:33:16 am »

I build execution chambers to kill excess useless immigrants.
One time, I got a wave of about twenty (damn engravings), and killed all but two because they had professions I deemed valuable.
They all stand in a tiny little room and my executioner pulls a lever causing the floor to erupt in spikes, killing them all and staining the walls with blood.
Then I would take their pets and butcher them for meat and bones.

Yes, I have a dwarf with the executioner profession.
All he does is pull levers and drop people off tall towers or into pits, sometimes with magma.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 01:37:53 am »

I build execution chambers to kill excess useless immigrants.
One time, I got a wave of about twenty (damn engravings), and killed all but two because they had professions I deemed valuable.
They all stand in a tiny little room and my executioner pulls a lever causing the floor to erupt in spikes, killing them all and staining the walls with blood.
Then I would take their pets and butcher them for meat and bones.

Yes, I have a dwarf with the executioner profession.
All he does is pull levers and drop people off tall towers or into pits, sometimes with magma.
It probably says something about DF that I'm not surprised to see that somebody employs an executioner for their fortress. Admittedly, that is what the Hammerer is supposed to do, but still. You have a dwarf whose sole reason for being is killing other humanoids. Not just the socially acceptable ones like kobolds, goblins, elves, goblins, humans, and goblins, but dwarves as well.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 01:42:02 am »

I try to make the hammerer bedridden permanently.
Less trouble in the long run.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 01:42:56 am »

I feed all my captured siegers/ambushers/thieves to my pet werewolves in an underground Colosseum built primarily for that purpose. It's the only way to give my werewolves names, since none of the dwarves seem to want to adopt them, and it has the side benefit of training the werewolves up in wrestling.

I recently captured a bunch of unicorns after the elves got sufficiently pissed at my tree cutting. I'm going to ranch them. I've already disposed of a few of the excess males via werewolf, too. They produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

This same fort has a drowning trap roofed over with a clear glass block retractable bridge. The siegers who fall into it would drown with clear blue sky visible just inches overhead, and their bloated corpses would be on display for months. I've never actually used it for this purpose, though; after I modded werewolves as trainable and started needing fodder for the arena I converted it into a cage trap pit instead.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 02:10:25 am »

Nice. Werewolves? Mod, or normal?

I am hoping desperately for a mate for any of my predators. Do normal animals train wrestling?

I built an arena (well, carved) with an upper level, complete with glass windows and a glass-windowed gallery. All of the fighting takes place on the lower level, and of course all the spectators tend to flee in terror (the viewing galleries are meeting rooms, and dwarves see through windows as if nothing were there). I also set my tomb complex as a meeting hall so that dwarves will occasionally visit the tombs.

I only use flashing enemies (elites and leaders) in the arena, and I have a Titan saved up for God knows what. Only civilians can compete (no sparring for training) and when they approach elite status I use the Hunting labor and lock them in with their equipment.

Did I mention that I HATE nobles who claim ownership of armor? No, my adamantine gauntlets aren't yours you *****. I don't care how much you like gauntlets. If you do it again, I'm putting you in the arena. Hell, I'm putting you in the arena NOW. I wonder who is going to use your box seating to watch you die??
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 02:25:00 am »

Now that I think about it, I try to make all annoying nobles bedridden permanently.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7