Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SEMIMEGABEAST limitations.  (Read 584 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
SEMIMEGABEAST limitations.
« on: November 18, 2009, 11:39:03 pm »

Other than making creatures quest objectives in Adventure Mode, does SEMIMEGABEAST have any other effects?

Does it keep the creature from appearing in the wild? From being used as mounts by siegers? (Not just "brought" with siegers like trolls, which seems to be hardcoded.) From being tamed? Etc?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SEMIMEGABEAST limitations.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 04:30:24 am »

Megabeasts and semimegabeasts will never appear in the wild as such, as they'll always settle in caves. I have no experience whatsoever as to whether or not they appear in the caves they're supposedly occupying during dwarf mode. I doubt they'll appear as mounts, as the race using the mounts needs to have access to the creature type in order to use them (although it may be possible to bypass this via judicious use of [BIOME:] - I don't know whether the game checks if any of the creature actually exist).

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SEMIMEGABEAST limitations.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 01:06:48 pm »

They most definately do appear in the caves they occupy in Dwarf Mode. They're classed as "Current Residents" just like full-on Megabeasts.

One other effect of the tag is that they are given names to start, and therefore will loudly announce their intentions regarding your corpse, once they spot you. They are also liable to go on rampages during World Gen. The main difference between Semis and Full Megabeasts is that the Semis won't arrive at your Fortress.

As for Mounts? Pfffff. No idea. I don't think Megabeasts of any stripe will show up with invaders. They're Independant Operators, shall we say.