Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d Saves with Windmill bug, pitted creature never lands bug.  (Read 1437 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
40d Saves with Windmill bug, pitted creature never lands bug.
« on: November 25, 2009, 12:48:14 pm »

The mods: Orc mod and extra shape (Elf King Cacawhatevertheheck) installed for succession game.
The Objects folder:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1634

A windmill bug. The save is right on top of the windmills in question, and after (possibly) receiving damage at some point in the gear system from magma, no amount of destruction and rebuilding of the mechanical parts will cause windmills in those locations to function. The culprit seems to be the one to the top-left on the first z-level above ground level, which causes others to permanently lose function when they are connected to it.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1632

A falling creature bug. Orc never landed, so I threw a goblin on top of him. The goblin landed and was stunned as usual, but the orc remains airborne. Freaky. If he never comes down I'll just send someone to try to wack him in midair or cave something in on him to see if a dust cloud will do it. View is centered.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1633

All files are now properly uploaded and linked.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 01:02:32 pm by The Architect »
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40d Saves with Windmill bug, pitted creature never lands bug.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 01:28:01 pm »

The latter is a known bug. Enemies that are flying through the air at the time you load the save are stuck and cannot move. If they're invaders, then sieges will never end, which means no caravans or migrants either. The only way to fix it is to clear the "unit is flying" bit using a utility program.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 04:10:14 pm »

Do the windmills say "Frozen" when you Q over them?  If so, then it's this: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6839.0 (Bug 392)

And yeah, the falling bug is known.  We have a current thread about it: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=45195.0

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 06:39:38 pm »

Pardon me, but the bugs are exactly as described. I realize you're trying to help but suggestions that defy the description given tend to irk me. Here:

The save was never reloaded; the orc just never landed. I'd love to know of a utility to fix it but it is in fact a different bug.

No, the windmills don't say frozen. They have no power, and are not frozen. In addition windmills rebuilt on rebuilt mechanisms or connected later are also without power. They may say that they have 20 power, required 141 or whatever for a while, but eventually they all lose power.
The sigs topic:

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 06:42:55 pm »

Windmill one might be this one then, cool that you've got a save that reproduces it:
# 000590 ▨ (doesn't reproduce) [dwarf mode][buildings][machines]    windmills built on existing gear assemblies don't work

As for the falling bug -- there have been several reports that it can happen even if you don't save, so it's almost certainly the same bug.  There's a very good chance the method linked in that thread will work.  Uploaded saves for this bug are only useful if they can reproduce the process of a unit becoming a projectile and then floating.  Although I might check the save to see if I can fix it with Dwarf Companion.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 06:47:14 pm by Footkerchief »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 08:17:56 pm »

It would be awesome if you could help me fix it. Otherwise I'll obliterate the square with a natural cave-in, despite the asthetic damage that will do to my already somewhat-cluttered fortress. Not that it's guaranteed to work. This is not a siege so it is not at all a crippling effect, and everyone ignores the orc as if he doesn't exist.

When I posted the windmill bug as an instance of the (doesn't reproduce) bug, I got a discouraging number of what you might call "smartass" replies about how it couldn't be that bug because it doesn't reproduce, it had to be frozen, I had to have made a mistake, etc.  Just got a bit fed up with it.  In their defense I left out vital details such as the number of the bug I was citing, but in any case it's time to move on.  What channels should I go through to make sure it is officially recognized as a bug? Certainly wouldn't want anyone else's megaproject to be crippled by the same thing if it can be fixed.

*kicking myself now for re-saving over the save just before the orc was thrown into the pit*
The sigs topic:

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 10:37:43 pm »

Fixing it is pretty straightforward.  Get Dwarf Companion, load your save, find the orc in the unit list (this is the hard part, he should be the only living orc but I think sometimes they can be marked as dead already, confirm it's him by using DC's "zoom to creature" function), then edit the creature in DC, uncheck all the binary flags, write the change to memory, and he should fall.