Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Personality Traits have actual game effect?  (Read 4013 times)

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
Re: Personality Traits have actual game effect?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 03:14:00 pm »

Alright, so I wasn't just making stuff up. Great!  :D

Sykirobme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 03:31:00 pm »

Honestly, Z-level goodness aside, this is the aspect of the new version that excites me the most.  I've noticed some subtle effects here and there and can't wait until personalities are fully implemented.  DF already generates some incredibly great stories as it stands; this will only add to the wonder.
ka KenHR on most other fora.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 05:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sykirobme:
<STRONG>Honestly, Z-level goodness aside, this is the aspect of the new version that excites me the most.  I've noticed some subtle effects here and there and can't wait until personalities are fully implemented.  DF already generates some incredibly great stories as it stands; this will only add to the wonder.</STRONG>

Agreed, adding personalities was a great idea by Toady.

[ November 05, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 11:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tormy:
<STRONG>

Agreed, adding personalities was a great idea by Toady.

[ November 05, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]</STRONG>

Agreed. Customization and the little things that go with it rock. I want more random stuff like this  :).

I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 02:07:00 pm »

Lazy dwarves would certainly explain why I get "On Break" even when there's rum to spare. "Where's the rum gone?" "On the stockpile 2 Z-levels up, you [insert dwarven swearword here I'm too at-the-office to look up in the raws]!"
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 07:11:00 pm »

"Idargunlel" is a good one.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 07:42:00 pm »

Ive also noticed, that 1 of my miners is working much more than the other dwarves. Everbody is sleeping, hes still digging and digging. Aftrer his job is done, hes hauling some stuff before going to sleep. Awesome.   :D

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 07:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tormy:
<STRONG>Ive also noticed, that 1 of my miners is working much more than the other dwarves. Everbody is sleeping, hes still digging and digging. Aftrer his job is done, hes hauling some stuff before going to sleep. Awesome.    :D</STRONG>

He probably just has high toughness, causing him to work more before sleeping.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 10:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>

He probably just has high toughness, causing him to work more before sleeping.</STRONG>

Hm now that you mention it, yeah his toughness is decent.

Hyperion2010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 10:13:00 am »

At one point I made a dwarf a recruit set to become a speardwarf, slightly later I set another one (who liked hammers) to become a hammerdwarf, the hammer dwarf is now way more advanced and that spear dwarf recruit almost never spars.  I have yet to figure out why since the personality listing doesnt seem to point to anything strange.

Griz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 04:59:00 pm »

I had a fortress guard who became enraged after taking one light-grey wound from a kobold thief and tore it to bits with his bare hands. I thought it might have been due to personality, but I checked and that particular guard was "very slow to anger".

Fenrir

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2007, 02:22:00 pm »

Kobold thieves are annoying. That wound was simply the straw that broke the camel's back.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2007, 04:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Griz:
<STRONG>I had a fortress guard who became enraged after taking one light-grey wound from a kobold thief and tore it to bits with his bare hands. I thought it might have been due to personality, but I checked and that particular guard was "very slow to anger".</STRONG>

Slow to anger just means they're patient..when someone screws with them, they can still hulk out and go ultra violent.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2007, 04:27:00 am »

So far the only effect I have seen that I can attribute to personality traits is sparring for my soldiers.  I have 4 that went through marksdwarf school, then started on hammerdwarf.  2 of them spar each other nearly continuously the other 2 sparred some, and then it seems they decided it wasn't worth it and just lounge about.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2007, 07:34:00 pm »

I had a mason and a ton of work that had to be done in the mason's worshop. for the longest time ever, he had "no job". every time my craftsman was done with another mug, the mason would bring it over to the stockpile, but still wouldn't do any masonry. I even checked if it was enabled in his work and if the workshop allowed him to work there.
Eventuly, he did start working.
Thinking of this thread, I checked his personality.
It said he was prone to procrastination.  :roll:
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."
Pages: 1 [2]