Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:RUIN  (Read 1672 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:RUIN
« on: November 20, 2009, 11:53:36 pm »

I'm having trouble getting a custom civ to survive worldgen, and I'm concerned that it may be because they have [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:RUIN]. Are ruins normally available as a starting place, or do civs that like ruins have to wait until one gets created in the course of world events?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:RUIN
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 12:10:05 am »

As far as I know they have to wait. I'm honestly not sure how they're generated with RUIN as default site type, but I have seen it done.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 12:14:09 am »

In my experience, I've been able to get civs to automatically spawn with ruins-type settlements created specifically for them.  Everyone's getting along fine and dandy, it's just that there aren't any buildings around.  They'd even make these little clusters of ruins, since the game didn't know how to space them out appropriately.

However, that may have been before an update that tweaked some ruin-related stuff.  You might want to provide all the site-specific details of your civ so we can take a look at it and see if anything's wonky.

Also, you say you're having trouble getting them to 'survive' worldgen...  Are you sure you're not just mistaking their ruins for, well...   ruins?

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 01:40:54 am »

Well, I gave them CITY as default and RUIN as preferred, and they're lasting through worldgen very well now. Never showing up in actual ruins, though. Their cities are bunched up together, but that's fine, and probably because I didn't give them a valid means to make world constructions. It's a little silly that member of this particular civ can be shown as living in an "apartment complex" in legends, but so it goes.
    I'm getting an occasional crash, but think it's due to some other tweaking I did.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 02:26:05 am »

I've had it working where there is the civ living in the ruins as specified when I go there in adventure mode, and I've also had the OP problem in my latest X-Com mod where there are ruins but I can't find the Lobstermen civ anywhere even after extensive searching. Legends mode offers a strange mystery, as they are nowhere to be found.

Then the Lobstermen show up in a siege in dwarf mode and obliterate me out of nowhere.

I have no idea what triggers the problem, so I'm sorry for useless post- but I'm offering circumstantial evidence that it does work, but sometimes it doesn't.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 10:08:33 pm »

A civ that has the default site type of RUIN will spawn in ruin type cities at world gen. Then if they also have something like RUIN set to their preferred type they will be able to live in the ruins of any destroyed city. This can lead to them killing a nearby city and then living in the ruin instead of just letting it stay empty. I have several fake 'undead' civilizations in my version of dwarf fortress that do just what I mentioned above, so I am 100% sure that it works.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.