Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Zombie Survival Squad  (Read 33328 times)

Peepshow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Survival Squad
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 04:36:54 pm »

You could get some ideas here. It's from my aborted attempt to create a LCS style zombie game. http://gamedesign.wikicomplete.info/zombie-crime-squad-design-document
I didn't add a lot of the ideas I had. Things like a review screen telling you how much of the city is infected. How much territroy the cultists have secured etc.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2010, 10:51:47 am »

I was planning on doing something similar to this, but with just AI.

Like a little simulation, with all the guys wandering around doing daily things, then, BOOM. Zombies.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 05:35:12 am »

inspired by gmods Zombie Survival Mod : zombies would evolute into the point they have different types :
normal zombies : ermm? those zombies who start out..
medium zombies : stronger and can stand more hits then the normal zombie , abit slow
heavy zombies : toughest among the three zombies , able to survive five headshots from the shotgun , REALLY SLLLLLLLLLOOOOOW
fast zombies : fastest zombie in the evolution , but pretty weak.
chemical zombies : explosive zombies that have a habbit of blowing open barricades , injuring or killing survivors , and breaking hordes into two upon death
shooter zombies : who said the zombies are only close combat? those zombies would beat you so hard if you say that! , shooters fire small , weak non-infectious globs at you , you will surely laugh at that little weak glob coming at you , but not when you find out they run around in packs of five(or the horde + shooters co-operate to eat you)
disguised zombies : congratulations! the zombies now know how to act and behave like a human , but still hunger for brains , those guys will pretend and disguise as a human , and wont eat anyone unless they come too close(and they will come close to you by zig-zaging , showing its back , then checking around , or some other) , you won't know who is a disguised zombie until it hits you in the face
invisible zombies : DF ambushers style , those guys will start out hidden , with nothing visible of him , until someone bumps into those , they will remain invisible
ZOMBIE MASTER : the zombie overmind is here , fast , and extreme strong and tough will let the zombie master tear you and your squad open like hot knife through butter , and can also fire a random small glob , you will laugh at it , sure , but when it hits the floor you will discover five normal zombies appear , kill this guy and the undead will stop rising................ for now

also , note that , i am saying they slowly get those types(except for the zombie master , who can be found even at the start of the game if you wonder too close to a certain generated location)

maybe you will win the game when you kill ten zombie masters , which at the point the zombies will quit the brain eating and just die

also , there might be a danger meter , where it checks the amount of zombies in the building(or area if you are outside) then gives you the meter , depending on how much zombies are in the building(or area) , they will display different texts :
perfectly safe : are you serious? no zombies , in your building or area , thats what
safe : one or two zombies in your building or area , kill it quickly
not too safe : a pack of zombies , five or four
not safe : seven or eight , dunno
low danger : an okay amount of zombies , 10 to 15 zombies
dangerous : 16 or 20 zombies
very dangerous : 21 or 25 zombies
Extreme dangerous : 30 to 35 zombies
blood bath : 40 to 50 zombies
zombie shower : 60 zombies , to 70 zombies
Zombie Survival : 80 , to 90
FUUU- : 100 or more zombies
OH SHI- : 200 or more zombies
LAST HUMAN : 800+ zombies , no humans , locked area , thats it , you are either dead or going to die
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 05:40:58 am by Ze Spy »

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 05:50:46 am »

sorry for double post , but i don't feel like editing the last post

some ending screens might show if you do those criteras

survival Fail Screen : get stocked up and armed , then die to the first zombie you come across
lose screen : seriously? just a lose screen
victory screen : WTF? do i have to explan?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 06:03:03 am by Ze Spy »

kotor39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2010, 06:03:17 pm »

Hey, so here is what I am thinking
A semi-realistic zombie mod based on LCS layout
that means

*NO FAST/BOOMER/L4d Zombies. We are getting regular shamblers, not sure if implementable but anyone who is a real zombie fan and has read ZA Recht's  (RIP) zombie series should know there are two types, Shamblers (infected-dead organisms that shamble at a slow pace) and Sprinters (Fast zombies who are living infected organisms). This could be ascii incorporated where shamblers= 1 attack every 3 turns and sprinters=1 per turn, but sprinters temporarily get incapacitated from fatal wounds and turn into shamblers unless headshots.

* The focus of the game becomes more option related than exploring an area.  Ex. More focus on Actions such as Look for Humans, than eliminate evil in the parking lot.

*90% of areas barricadable and capturable using the CCS base structure (like 20+zombies killed at once=enought time to barricade)

*Actions should have a bunch more choices

*brainwashing is changed to assisting people overcome their fears

*Random Events increase

*new resources added like Random materials (used to increase repairs at base)

*Many more weapons with different effects (in LCS a .45= a 9mm that is just not true a .45 has a 7rd mag and a 9mm has a 15 round mag ((I am assuming Beretta here)

*maybe different encounters like far away...I know this is hard to implement, but cant a boy just dream

*Factions= 3 types of Human Factions, Independant, Regular citizens/ small bands of make shift groups, Organized Professionals, green, These guys are the police forces and army forces that managed to survive or the makeshift forces that banded together of a long period of time, thus becoming highly trained. And last Marauders/Enemies these guys are the looters thieves murderers and robbers. *** The good factions can possibly join you or offer the occasional trade and you can send over a representative (replaces sleepers) who can assist you in destroying an area or building up faction relations....Possibly even purchase goods.

* The game can be set to either never end, or end only when the town is clear and every outskirt building is barricaded and no zombie enters city for 6 months or however so chosen.

*Self sufficient cities---that means food can be grown and ammo and makeshift weapons made out of various things.

*Under places to visit, Search other town a possible choice where a random area is created everytime you visit there and you have the chance of finding loot. This allows better items though could possibly introduce zombies to your city.

*Once again you will play as a leader of a few people and that could grow or diminish depending on how you play.
 The character you play also is partially randomly generated as well as the party, you could be a lucky police officer with some of his buddies or you could be a banker with a family of teenage girls.
Some of the choosable options for leader could be a bit of pre z day preparation stuff like if you choose family house you might get a bomb shelter but your family has a higher chance of being little kids.

*Loot becomes more important and money gets a universal form

*early stages= extreamly easy to trade and finding people becomes a lot easier than finding people in late stages.

? THIS IS A QUESTION FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO PONDER ABOUT THIS. Would people "Grow up" and have children and stuff. or would you guys just want people to stay the same.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2010, 08:20:18 pm »

A dynamic world is better in my opinion.

It also really depends on the time scale, if its days and you could end up playing for years....  yea, dynamic 'growth' of the people around you would be cool.  At the least for kids to grow up.

No clue how you would code getting babies...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2010, 02:36:33 pm »

I think DF style telepathic sex would be how you get babies.

I think the game would need a pretty serious overhaul.  Just killing the same zombies would get old fast, you'd have to have a whole system of building safe houses into secure areas, and having zombies come along and wreck them.  Instead of earning money and buying things you'd exclusively have to scavenge for weapons and equipement.  Going to the gun store might arm you up, but you'd obviously have to stick that in a heavily zombie populated area. 

Combat would be a bitch too.  These would have to be non-infectious zombies unless the system was seriously altered.  If you did have to have infectious zombies you'd either have to supply the player with endless cannon fodder, or make people level up inanely fast. 

kotor39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2010, 03:26:18 pm »

For babies all you would code is fertility rate+ random creation of a kid based off some of parents statistics.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2010, 09:49:00 pm »

Shamblers (infected-dead organisms that shamble at a slow pace) and Sprinters (Fast zombies who are living infected organisms)

If I may suggest, if there are 'sprinters' there may be the possibility of a cure.  But that would be a rare find in specific places.  Maybe even slowly/expensively produced from your supplies if you take over and house yourself in a lab capable of producing it with high science people.

Combat injecting the sprinter types will KO him/her in a round or more, depending on health/toughness, they'll still be trying to kill you in that time and you may end up killing the sprinter yourself by accident.   Then you can grab em like a hostage and they'll eventually be cured in the holding cell, though it may fail and it has a chance of escaping and causing havoc in your base.  More doses increase chance. 
As well as psychology has an effect on how much skills the sprinter retains?

Well, there is still brainwashingconvincing enemyother humans to join your side...

The benefits?  Headhunting specific and hard to find skilled/type of people...  (Could code it so a lot of specialized skills are really hard to find... alive... but as sprinters, there are a number of em out there in location appropriate places... these guys would be hard to get Agent level...)

Oh when anyone dies, they should turn into zombies after a round or so...  so if you 'rescue' an injured person and they croak...

And there should be an infection chance per zombie hit... shamblers have much higher infection rates then sprinters...  and individuals should each have their own... resistance rate... determined by whatever replaces the heart stat... no 100% immunity, except maybe the 'founder'?  Calls for fun times when your buddies turn in the middle of battle...

Also, before I go any further... this is based on the LCS code right?

How will battles between more then 2 sides like LCS does it... be done?   Your Squad, Zombies and other humans?

Friendly/neutral humans being useless nubs who can get shot like normal?

Hostile humans... doing what they do best?  But arn't the zombies after them too?

Or is this new coding?

And @ babies, there will be definitive male and female now?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2010, 10:08:14 pm »

Infectious zombies and non-infectious zombies. Infectious zombies do nothing but breath all over you to infect you, and how immune/how much heart the person has depends on how much they can resist being infected and turning over to the other side.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

kotor39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2010, 04:55:00 pm »

@ 2 sided battles, Im not sure. LCS engine, yes.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2010, 10:42:07 pm »

Flap, I am literally in love with your game ideas. I want to play that exact game you just described, except game ending in 30-60 days SUCKS. I say 3-6 years.

Also, my idea for a starting squad:

(PLAYER CHARACTER - absolutely necessary.
(MUM - Emotionally, bad idea. Watching the woman who shot you out of her vag get eaten by zombies would mess you up.
(DAD - Randomly generated types. Abusive, perfect, means well, none-too-good, good, drinker, all that dad stuff.
(BRO/SIS - Randomly generated possibilities and types. Not everyone has a brother or sister, so make it not always available. Types would be more generalized then specific. Nice, mean, bully, protective, etc. Also younger/older, specific age provided. You're not gonna leave your 3-year-old sis, are you?
(BOY/GIRLFRIEND - Not always available. Interchangable with wife/husband, but I think it would be better to keep this one simpler. Or, in character creation (which we'll get to later), you could specify. Specify gay/straight, single/taken, relationship/marriage, or let fate decide. Or let fate decide everything but gay/straight. I don't think gay people would want to be forced to be straight, and vice versa.
(THE BEST FRIEND - Really good friend. Since childhood. Definitely want to bring him/her. Who wouldn't want a good friend to die with you?
(1-3 GOOD FRIENDS - Like best friend, but not best.
(PETS - Dogmeat, a la Fallout? Anyone?  :D

And basically that's it. You can't bring everyone. Car size, number of cars, etc. Technically you could bring everyone if you had lots of big cars or you go on foot, but food runs out fast that way. Traveling in large groups would also attract Z's. Probably the best size is 2-6... :)

Also, character creation would be vital if all this is included. Big family, small family, lots of friends, no friends, pet, no pet... But don't give the player too much power. Create themselves all they want, but sociality and things like that should be half-player, half-fate.

I had more ideas earlier, but I forgot many of them as I was typing. Please consider my thoughts, since this has taken a buttload of time.

Oh yeah, let the player type in the damn names. Seriously.

I'll post any more ideas I get. I don't know anything about design, I just have a very active mind.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2010, 02:19:07 am »

This is a great idea.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2010, 04:22:28 am »

snip

Also, character creation would be vital if all this is included. Big family, small family, lots of friends, no friends, pet, no pet... But don't give the player too much power. Create themselves all they want, but sociality and things like that should be half-player, half-fate.

snip
Let the player choose the family/friend thing as they like.  Fate may decide to take them away from you.
Fate is your family/friends/pets getting eaten/infected before the game even starts.. would be cool if there was an opening scene with em getting eaten/infected though... marking the beginning of your journey...
Realistically, circumstances may have it so that you can't meet up with everyone...

Fate may also add some random strangers/neighbors who you picked up along the way. (Could check that on or off in the beginning...)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2010, 03:11:13 am »

I'm a big fan of the World War Z/Zombie Survival Guide mythology and strategies myself. Although the 100-percent communicable thing would have to be toned down for the virus - otherwise almost every fight would end poorly against the Zeds.

For multi-way fights, I can't see them actually happening. It would be more likely you'd fight off any zombies first before dealing with rivals, if you aren't able to unite over the common foes. It could also be that you'd kill off some rivals..and the zombies hear your gunfire and swarm at you hungrily.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7