Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Zombie Survival Squad  (Read 33334 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: Zombie Survival Squad
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2010, 05:19:11 am »

I'm a big fan of the World War Z/Zombie Survival Guide mythology and strategies myself. Although the 100-percent communicable thing would have to be toned down for the virus - otherwise almost every fight would end poorly against the Zeds.

What aspects of World War Z/Zombie Survival Guide mythology and strategies appeal to you? I'm not very familiar with either, to be honest.

kotor39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2010, 03:53:41 pm »

If you wanna be hooked onto zombie books
I reccomend Day by day armageddon by JL bourne
and The morningstar strain chronicles by ZA Recht (RIP)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2010, 05:25:49 pm »

I'm a big fan of the World War Z/Zombie Survival Guide mythology and strategies myself. Although the 100-percent communicable thing would have to be toned down for the virus - otherwise almost every fight would end poorly against the Zeds.

What aspects of World War Z/Zombie Survival Guide mythology and strategies appeal to you? I'm not very familiar with either, to be honest.

There's almost too much to mention, but it's a fully realized world after the fall of humanity to the zombie threat, and it's rise again. A tendency away from the cliche (and not very lifelike) chainsaws and shotguns everyone seems to swoon over, towards melee weaponry and resource-independent/efficient guns. The chief weapon the marines build up to fight back is an entrenching tool with a sharpened blade and a spiked end for optimal efficiency of cutting off heads and destroying brains. Guns are developed as semi automatic only carbines - the spread of a shotgun is useless as you want to keep zombies as far away from you as possible, and full auto is useless as a body shot won't do the job.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2010, 06:37:36 pm »

I'd imagine bows and crossbows would be quite common to fight zombies.

Basically, bows are far easier to make and find than crossbows (what with bows being legal, unlike crossbows), but crossbows are far more accurate for the untrained user.

Plus, crossbows can even be made to use rocks, thus reducing/avoiding the problem of running out of ammo when fighting zombies.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2010, 02:14:39 am »

Just because Bows are legal dosent mean there will be a lot f them around.

Hell, Flamethrowers arent Illegal in most states over there, but you don't see too many of them floating about, do you?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2010, 02:40:56 am »

Tons of people use crossbows for hunting. I imagine many stores would carry them, if you know where to look.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2010, 02:46:22 am »

On that note, archery is a somewhat popular passtime, while flamethrowery is generally not.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2010, 02:55:54 am »

Prove it.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2010, 03:01:20 am »

This is unscientific, but Ebay.com gives "Bow"-Sporting Goods-Outdoor Sports almost 6000 results - heck, it even has an "archery" section with 5000+ results, not to mention the vast 900 in the "hunting" section.

"Flamethrower", on the other hand, gives one result - some sort of hardcore knife-rope thingy.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2010, 03:07:45 am »

Okay, Ebay prohibits weaponry. So flamethrowers can't be sold on there at all. Never mind.

EDIT: However, if you google bows vs. flamethrowers, you can see for yourself the massive amount of websites (and presumably stores) hawking bows, which indicates that there's a good market for them. On the other hand, it's remarkably difficult to find anyone selling flamethrowers, because not as many people would buy them. And go to a sporting goods store - they probably sell bows there, while I doubt you'd find even one store in your town selling flamethrowers.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 03:11:45 am by Cheddarius »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2010, 04:28:27 am »

Would a bow even stop a zombie. Assuming that you'd have to remove libs to slow them down then unless your a really good shot, or the zombies are rotting, it might be hard.

I guess similar problems are true of a flamethrower mind you. Rather than being attacked by a horde of zombies your now being attacked by a horde of !!zombies!!, at least until whatever holds them together burns away.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2010, 05:17:14 am »

Heads shots = high critical hit chance, the rest counts as a graze... hitting anywhere else = minimal damage...  zeds don't even have to worry about bleeding out...

And since enemies in LCS are automatically in melee range...  a club to the head seems a lot more feasible...

The games code favours zeds heavily due to no ranged combat.  That is if zeds are made to be like zeds...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2010, 10:48:30 am »

Theoretically you could get a Zombie immobilised if you stick it with enough arrows.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2010, 04:02:36 pm »

Well, if you shot the right places, like the legs, it would make it impossible for it to move its legs properly. Same with arms, if you cut the muscles there, they wouldn't be able to use them.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2010, 04:08:23 pm »

Well, if you shot the right places, like the legs, it would make it impossible for it to move its legs properly. Same with arms, if you cut the muscles there, they wouldn't be able to use them.
Unfortunately, zombies actually WILL bleed on you and bite your legs off.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7