Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siegers stay at spawn.  (Read 779 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Siegers stay at spawn.
« on: November 21, 2009, 01:32:34 pm »

My custom civ showed up to siege as expected, but just stayed in a swirling pack where they spawned, and never approached the fortress. They have some tags like [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER], [CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM], [CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER], and [MISCHIEVIOUS] which I suspect may be the problem, but when I save, remove those tags, and resume, the already-spawned invaders don't behave any differently.

Creature:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Entity:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If there's an obvious error, I'd rather avoid the tedious process of removing tags and waiting for a siege, one by one.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:37:27 pm by Raphite1 »

Shoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Siegers stay at spawn.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 03:29:57 pm »

It could be a pathing problem. Do other sieges work?

''m condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 04:15:08 pm »

Is there a path into your fortress, or at least to a dwarf or  bait animal outside? If they dont have a way to path to your dwarves they wont budge normally
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 04:47:42 pm »

The path isn't blocked, but there are lots of trees and boulders on the map . . . maybe enough to make their pathing algorithm go haywire. Guess I'll just keep everything the same and wait to see if their next siege works correctly.

Edit: I also approached them with some military dwarves. When the dwarves got close the siegers ran up and attacked them, but after the siegers killed the dwarves they went back to milling around their spawn point.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 04:52:33 pm by Raphite1 »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 06:15:11 pm »

The path isn't blocked, but there are lots of trees and boulders on the map . . . maybe enough to make their pathing algorithm go haywire. Guess I'll just keep everything the same and wait to see if their next siege works correctly.

Edit: I also approached them with some military dwarves. When the dwarves got close the siegers ran up and attacked them, but after the siegers killed the dwarves they went back to milling around their spawn point.

Don't humans in vanilla also do this? I believe they wait outside your fortress for awhile before finally charging. Dwarves in the Cat Mod do this as well. On the other hand, I know that Orcs charge immediately; you can check their entry in the Orc mod or the Dig Deeper mod to see what's different.

Trees and boulders don't present any kind of path-finding barrier for siegers.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Shoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 06:30:33 pm »

IIRC the campfire behavior is caused by the [SIEGER] tag.
''m condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure.

Riloki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 07:02:41 pm »

If you happen to have 'dwarves stay inside' on, try turning it off so dwarves can go out. for some reason whenever 'dwarves stay inside' is on, it also keeps sieges out even if the doors are unlocked (unless the doors are in their Line of Sight), but this is just my personal experience.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 07:53:31 pm »

Just tried again on a new map, will all the tags the same as above. The siegers arrived, and I made sure not to touch "dwarves stay inside."

Again, they're just running around at the spot where they spawned. They'll chase down a dwarf that comes near, but then go back to their huddle.

Guess I'll try again without [MISCHEVIOUS], and if that doesn't work I'll try without the various [CURIOUSBEAST]s. No pain no gain, I guess.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 07:57:28 pm »

Okay, just out of curiosity, none of your raptors have learned how to fly on things, right?

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 11:10:46 am »

No flying mounts (or any mounts at all), if that's what you're asking. I removed the [CURIOUSBEAST] and [MISCHEVIOUS] tags, and they're working correctly now.

I'll save more precise testing for when I can again bear the thought of sitting around in a disposable fortress waiting for sieges that may or may not come.