Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

My first megaproject

(1/4) > >>

ed boy:
I've decided that, having played dwarf fortress for a while now, I should have a go at a megaproject. I have therefore decided to build a giant statue of armok spanning 70 Z levels. However, I'm currently in a bit of a pickle. I have the description that I want to fulfil:

His skin was adamantine, and his armour was platinum. His hair was gold, and his weapon and shield were ice filled with magma. His eyes were of fire and his breath was of magma.

I have a map with chasm, Spoiler (click to show/hide)clowns, and a magma pipie. I plan to excavate the entire map before construction (leaving the bottom level covered to hide unsightly buildings). I have 72 Z-levels to play with, so I'm going to make a statue as a scale model of a human (one inch to one tile). I am going to have magma pumped up the legs, out the mouth and into the weapon and shield. The eyes are going to be star ruby windows with Spoiler (click to show/hide)!!clowns!! behind if possible, magma if not (I've modded it suffeciently to allow the former). The shield will be made of ice with a design in glass floodgates on the front. The weapon with be made of ice with the leading edge/side being glass floodgates. Once a lever is pulled, the floodgates will open, bathing all below with magma. However, I have two details that I want to clarify before I start work.

What design should I put on the shield?
What weapon should I build?

Retro:
Warning: With all that loose rock, your FPS will go in the shitter (even if you have the dwarves dump rocks in the clownpit, it'll still take forever). I'm currently excavating a huge area (though not nearly THAT huge, but still 50z in a rather wide shape) and I'm at 1FPS with only 1/3 or so dug out, dumping into my UG river chasm as fast as I can.

That being said! I find hammers are very destructively dwarfy, and picks are rather dwarfy in general (though with less emphasis on explicitly killing). As for shield, dunno.

ed boy:
I'm avoiding lots of the framerate problems by also making it as a hermit challenge. so far my no-precision records are showing ten thousand stones uncovered and I'm getting around 30 FPS. I should eventually end up with around 1 million stones lying around, so I'm not too confident it will stay at that level.

Also, will forbidding/hiding the stone increase my FPS?

The Architect:

--- Quote from: ed boy on November 21, 2009, 04:05:44 pm ---I'm avoiding lots of the framerate problems by also making it as a hermit challenge. so far my no-precision records are showing ten thousand stones uncovered and I'm getting arounf 30 FPS. I should eventually end up with around 1 million stones lying around, so I'm not too confident it will stay at that level.

--- End quote ---

The solution to the stone problem is rather simple, and requires very little management (just get it going then leave it alone to clear an area of stone).

Build a 1x1 raiding drawbrige near a load of stone that needs to be eliminated, and use d+b+d to designate the huge piles of stone just a couple of tiles away for dumping. Set the drawbridge as a garbage zone, and hook up a lever right beside it. Then set 5-20 dwarves on Refuse Hauling only, and they'll clear out 1,000 stone or so in less than a season. Pull the lever to smash and fix your framerate.

Gergination:

--- Quote from: The Architect on November 21, 2009, 04:15:42 pm ---
--- Quote from: ed boy on November 21, 2009, 04:05:44 pm ---I'm avoiding lots of the framerate problems by also making it as a hermit challenge. so far my no-precision records are showing ten thousand stones uncovered and I'm getting arounf 30 FPS. I should eventually end up with around 1 million stones lying around, so I'm not too confident it will stay at that level.

--- End quote ---

The solution to the stone problem is rather simple, and requires very little management (just get it going then leave it alone to clear an area of stone).

Build a 1x1 raiding drawbrige near a load of stone that needs to be eliminated, and use d+b+d to designate the huge piles of stone just a couple of tiles away for dumping. Set the drawbridge as a garbage zone, and hook up a lever right beside it. Then set 5-20 dwarves on Refuse Hauling only, and they'll clear out 1,000 stone or so in less than a season. Pull the lever to smash and fix your framerate.

--- End quote ---
I'm confused as to how you can quote him saying it's a hermit challenge and then immediately suggesting an idea that requires 5-20 dwarves...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version