Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: world gening utility?  (Read 1622 times)

webkilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
world gening utility?
« on: November 21, 2009, 06:52:19 pm »

greetings

i recall reading a while ago somewhere, when i was poking around for various utilities and whatnot, about a utility that would world-gen to a set of specific parameters similar to the site finder, and stop world gening once it made a world with a spot that matched your specific requirements

i cant find it again :(

but baring that, i'd settle for a mod that adds another search parameter to the site finder, mainly the ability to ask for the presence of trees, in the same way you can request a river, magma, HFS and so on

my problem is basically that when i ask for magma + underground river i usually get some mountainous area with little or no vegetation - i'd prefer the ability to have greater control of my fortress locale

is this impossible? or is there a mod, utility or something out there that allows this?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: world gening utility?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 08:40:16 pm »

I think your looking for UltraFinder. Never used it myself but it looks interesting.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

webkilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 07:16:09 am »

thanks dude

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 07:23:42 am »

I use it all the time. It is bit glitchy (in infinite run mode where you just let it gen a certain number of hits at least) in that it sometimes just stops and you need to manually make it continue. Once in a while it will spit out a dud when you're looking for flux and a sedimentary soil and the site actually has none and the vegetation/tree thing is sometimes off. Still, it is VERY good at finding great sites.

About the only part I don't like about it is the fact that you have to be there sometimes to make it continue in case it hangs and it's frustrating when you let it run overnight and find that it stopped after a few hits.