Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Bars/Inns/Tavers etc..  (Read 7559 times)

Keiden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bars/Inns/Tavers etc..
« on: November 13, 2006, 03:16:00 am »

Since this game is about dwarfs and dwarfs love to drink. A building where drinks are sold and that could attract people from other places to trade and talk to the dwarfs privately would be a nice thing too add if you ask me.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bars/Inns/Tavers etc..
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 02:37:25 am »

I just thought about this recently too. With barfights. Just like building a trade depot except for booze.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 02:58:47 am »

Being able to put a pub in my Fortress = priceless.

We obviously need bartenders/barkeeps. Is this a skill? A designatory title? A Noble? Should mixology be a skill? Will there be bar food? Will little hairy women dance on my table?

For they would be your masters.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 07:01:13 am »

Being able to put a pub in my Fortress = priceless.

We obviously need bartenders/barkeeps. Is this a skill? A designatory title? A Noble? Should mixology be a skill? Will there be bar food? Will little hairy women dance on my table?

Along with little hairy men vomiting all over the place, never mind that statement they both tend to do that.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 08:49:25 pm »

The simplest solution might be to have the Brewer dispense the drinks in the Tavern.  Presumably this would actually give a use for a goblet.  I can see it working like this.  You create a table/chair filled space much like you currently create a dinning hall but mark it as a Tavern which is basically flagging it for private operation like a shop.  The patron Brewer will place Goblets on the tables (perhaps up too 3 each), the thirsty customer will move to a chair or table, sit down and signal the brewer, the brewer comes and talks briefly with the customer to get the order, then picks up the Goblet taking it to a barrel of the desired brew, fills it and returns it too the table and receives coins in exchange.  The customer then drinks the brew much the way they will eat a meal.  If not enough chairs are present the customer will stand.  Food will be served in the same manor by a Cook perhaps using a 'Cutlery' item.

Frequent bar fight and brawls will occur.  Some Dwarfs will get happy thoughts from this, others will get unhappy thoughts from having their brew spilled.  Chain-reactions can occur ware the fight between two dwarfs upsets other dwarfs who join in a giant sprawling fight which the town guard must break up.  Vomit and blood splatters will be every ware but the Brewer (or more often a junior employee) will clean them up.  Also the furniture will often be de-constructed and moved around in these fights but it will automatically be re-designated and put back by the stores owner without the players guidance.  Furniture make from weaker materials like wood would be more likely to break but stone furniture particularly high quality furniture would be much more resilient, broken furniture is also replaced automatically, the owner will charge rowdy patrons for the damages if able.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 11:48:29 pm »

The coins probably wouldn't be useful unless the coins from a gold bar are worth as much as the bar itself when trading with caravans. Well, that and the bar itself would need value, materials are dirt cheap as is. More like 10x modifier needed

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 11:59:12 pm »

Well in reality coins are supposed to be worth their weight just like a bar, the problem is that crafting things out of gold is too heavily modified, the ability to almost effortlessly turn any metal into an object worth at minimum x3 the value of the raw metal and NEVER having to worry about finding a buyer for it is whats unbalancing the system.  If demand for Solid Gold statures is low your Solid Gold statue is only worth its gold content and you could have made coins or even bars and saved a great deal of work and still have the same trade value.

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 12:00:10 am »

Coins should be worth atleast as much as the bar, if not more. More is possible if the Nation issueing the coins is a strong Nation who's coins can be relied upon, and more if the coins themselves incorporate anti-counterfeit measures, and the bar doesn't, since currency that can be trusted is always more sought after-and therefore valuable-than currency that can't be relied on, and bars that may be made from painted lead.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 04:03:04 am »

Urist mcDrunk cancels work. To hungover and sore.
Bar fights would be awesome to watch.

Taal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 10:25:31 am »

I think when different brews are implemented, Bars could be a possible chance for revenue, although the economy would have to be activated.

Im thinking along the lines of. Once the economy is implemented, and a tavern built, it would attract customers. Customers being your dwarfs, traders, travelling adventurers when implemented, passing populations (already implemented but not currently seen in fortress mode) and populations of nearby towns.

If your tavern is of sufficient quality ("Did you see that legendary grate in the corner? Classssy!") and the drinks there also of sufficient quality, regulars of the pub of all races (perhaps races allowed could be toggle-able) would develop and if your fortress is also particurely lavish, members of nearby by civs, and passing travellers may choose to stay at your fortress.

I'm seeing a whole new aspect of the game, an integrated minigame, unfolding before my eyes.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 03:24:32 pm »

This idea is pure, unadulterated win, fortified with 100 proof win, and menaces with spikes of win. I think this should be added to suggestions, as it does make sense.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 06:34:44 pm »

The simplest solution might be to have the Brewer dispense the drinks in the Tavern.  Presumably this would actually give a use for a goblet.  I can see it working like this.  You create a table/chair filled space much like you currently create a dinning hall but mark it as a Tavern which is basically flagging it for private operation like a shop.  The patron Brewer will place Goblets on the tables (perhaps up too 3 each), the thirsty customer will move to a chair or table, sit down and signal the brewer, the brewer comes and talks briefly with the customer to get the order, then picks up the Goblet taking it to a barrel of the desired brew, fills it and returns it too the table and receives coins in exchange.  The customer then drinks the brew much the way they will eat a meal.  If not enough chairs are present the customer will stand.  Food will be served in the same manor by a Cook perhaps using a 'Cutlery' item.

Frequent bar fight and brawls will occur.  Some Dwarfs will get happy thoughts from this, others will get unhappy thoughts from having their brew spilled.  Chain-reactions can occur ware the fight between two dwarfs upsets other dwarfs who join in a giant sprawling fight which the town guard must break up.  Vomit and blood splatters will be every ware but the Brewer (or more often a junior employee) will clean them up.  Also the furniture will often be de-constructed and moved around in these fights but it will automatically be re-designated and put back by the stores owner without the players guidance.  Furniture make from weaker materials like wood would be more likely to break but stone furniture particularly high quality furniture would be much more resilient, broken furniture is also replaced automatically, the owner will charge rowdy patrons for the damages if able.

I approve of this idea.

I really can't come up with any other suggestions for this than besides being able to add tavern wrenchs.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 06:39:34 pm »

I really can't come up with any other suggestions for this than besides being able to add tavern wrenchs.

As much as the Mechanics would love that I think most patrons would prefer wenches.

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 06:42:19 pm »

Tavern wretch, and when more clothing is implemented!

stout bunny suit :P

Or stout ☼bow tie decorated thongs☼

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 06:57:45 pm »

Creamcorn: Exactly what we want. Outfits that show even more hair.  ::)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4