Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

So I made this thing (version 2 posted)

(1/4) > >>

Kinoko_Otoko:
I'm pretty new to Dwarf Fortress. I've only been as far as the first caravan arriving, and successfully trading with it. Then I realized I couldn't use magma powered stuff on my map, nor access glassworking. So I used one of the pre-generated seeds to get a map with everything. I started the new game, got as far as the first caravan again (but screwed up this time so they couldn't get in) and then realized that I had no idea how I was going to lay out my fortress anyway, so I'm restarting that particular map again.

But first, I decided to make a flowchart to help me categorize the various workshops based on the materials involved, etc.

I thought I'd share it with you guys.

Incidentally, I just realized I intended to add some notes about color coding etc. but I'm too tired/have things to do right now... I'll get to it later.

Diamond:
Nice work, but it is kind of hard to understand. And too much of unnecessary things with that bins/barrels.
If would be more useful if you did industry flowcharts like in DFwiki and connected them all into One Big Ultimate Flowchart. That would be very useful to new players.

Overspeculated:
You don't need a flowchart, you just need to know what each process requires and how to get that. Bins and barrels are a given. You don't need a massive industry anyway, a single legendary will pump out items with incredible speed. For example my 200+ dwarf fortress has one magma glass furnace (+ 4 normal glass furnaces that have sand collection active) and one carpenters workshop. And I'm pretty much making all of my furniture out of glass.

Kinoko_Otoko:
I think you're both kind of missing the point. The idea is to assist with organization of the fort, i.e. which shops can afford to be far away from, say, your wood. Perhaps it's more of a diagram than a flowchart, with the intent of enabling a greater degree of forethought and planning, with a resulting increase in efficiency in transporting materials. You'll notice they're grouped by the general class of materials they involve, with significant overlaps marked in purple.

As for readability, I'll try and fix that a bit with the notes/legend.

And I know I can sustain a fort with a single industry, but where's the fun in that?

Nexii Malthus:
Yeah, optimizing hauling routines to be as effective as possible isn't just a simple answer when you have shared resources between several workshops, especially when there is a crazy mix of transfer inbetween the resource stockpiles to other clusters of workshops relevant to the resource, etcetera.

You need to organize input and output to work smoothly. The chart is sort of handy for an overview on the situation. Doesn't seem to really do the trick for me though. Not sure, maybe you can try visualizing it in various different ways?  There are a bunch of different ways/variations to get connectivity graphs, spider diagrams, clusters, webs and such graphically represented.

* Weird stretched connectors. Very odd and peculiar to look at.
* Items versus workshops
* Bins and barrels? Why? Seems like an completely unnecessary distinction. You could just tag a little cue symbol on product items. Item product having icon on bottom right with a Square (=Bin) or Cylinder (= Barrel).
Try to classify/categorize them better up. Use subtle changes and cues to advantage, avoid overwhelming differences.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version