Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tips on how to deal with waterless map?  (Read 1593 times)

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tips on how to deal with waterless map?
« on: November 22, 2009, 06:05:23 pm »

I embarked in a frozen northern map. There is no ice or water here (magma though). I'm brewing to keep my dwarves from dying of thirst but should one get injured I suppose he is doomed.

I also have no trees so I'll have to rely on caravans. 

Any tips on how best to deal with this situation?

At least I have Armok's blood (Magma) and entire z-levels of obsidian.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on how to deal with waterless map?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 06:23:49 pm »

Don't make any beds. If an injured dwarf's injury isn't debilitating, he'll manage to keep moving around and get his own food and drinks -- which means he won't need water to survive.

Rely more on deathtraps than military.

Since you have no outside trees (and presumably no outside plants), the only reason you have to go to the surface is to protect caravans and migrants. That in mind, you can set things up so that the only access to your fortress from the surface is a small 5x5 area with ramps leading underground (you can block off the edges using drawbridges, which can be built right up to the edge of the map). Caravans will always spawn there.  Sieges and ambushes spawn wherever they feel like it, which is almost never going to be where the caravans spawn if you block off your depot access like that. Migrants also spawn wherever they feel like it, though, so protecting them will be trickier.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 10:49:03 pm »

...Migrants also spawn wherever they feel like it, though, so protecting them will be trickier.

Migrants usually follow one or two paths. It's not like they randomly spawn on the edge of the map. I have beaten paths (two) that lead to my fortress entrances where migrants come. They are on either side of the river.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 10:51:57 pm »

If a dwarf happens to be injured, simply make him recordkeeper on the highest setting.  He/she will become legendary within the next 2 seasons and will likely become tough enough to be become a productive dwarf once more.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 12:49:31 pm »

No beds.

If a dwarf is injured yet still mobile he will feed himself and drink booze.

If a dwarf is injured enough to be immobile, like missing a leg or a broken spine, then the dwarf is a goner.

Good news is that you will have no permanently disabled dwarves in comas forever. Bad news is that everyone will have unhappy thoughts about sleeping on the floor.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 12:33:18 pm »

If a dwarf is injured enough to be immobile, like missing a leg or a broken spine, then the dwarf is a goner.

Some tricky micromanagement might be able to get him working again, this will be my next experiment.... does anybody have suggestions as to how to injure this dwarf >:)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 11:22:38 am by Dvergar »

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 09:53:48 pm »

Some tricky micromanagement might be able to get him working again, this will be my next experiment.... does anybody have suggestions as to how to injure this dwarf >:)

A three-storey fall?
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 10:06:18 pm »

You can use magma to melt ice, if you have any on the map.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.