Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: When have you had absolutely insane luck?  (Read 4262 times)

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When have you had absolutely insane luck?
« on: August 30, 2006, 02:25:00 pm »

I don't mean "Oh, I got a lot of shit from the caravan, and then 1 immigrant." I mean "hitting a silver deposit 6 tiles into the cave." Funny thing was, I was actually planning to start my excavations further north because there were more trees.  
Also of note, another fortress' mason seized by  a fey mood made an artifact marble statue, and got legendary skill. In the first summer.

When have YOU had a ridiculously lucky thing happen?

I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".
I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.
It will be stupid.  But it will be gloriously stupid.

Oboro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When have you had absolutely insane luck?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 02:35:00 pm »

I find silver before the river all the time, it's actually not something I consider very lucky. Silver goods are worth a fair amount in trade, and you can make non-pick weapons out of silver, making it the most useful of the decorative metals, but it's still just a decorative metal. The most lucky I ever got, I struck copper before I hit the river.

Most unlucky, I found nothing but sphalerite (half of brass) until I had crossed the chasm.

[ August 30, 2006: Message edited by: Oboro ]

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 02:57:00 pm »

I know silver is found before the river, but come on. Finding it all of 6 tiles into your first excavation hast to count for something.
I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".
I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.
It will be stupid.  But it will be gloriously stupid.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 03:11:00 pm »

Well, in my most recent game, I found coal. Like lots of it. An entire vein, with 20 or 30 units of coal. And at the very tip of the end of the coal vein, I found iron ore.

This marks the first game I've ever found more than 5 coal in one place, and it marks the first time I havn't had to go four or five screens north to find iron.

That, in my opinion, is insane luck.

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 03:26:00 pm »

Why do people complain about it being so hard to find iron and coal. I find it every game; just look along the lava river; it's guarenteed.

Oboro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 03:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kjoery:
<STRONG>Why do people complain about it being so hard to find iron and coal. I find it every game; just look along the lava river; it's guarenteed.</STRONG>
I've followed the lava river north AND south for at least five screens in both directions and have yet to find iron, or any precious gems, and all the while my broker is mandating iron and platinum and green diamond goods and my dwarves are being possessed and dying because they want resources I can't for the life of me find. :/

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 04:08:00 pm »

My last game I went straight for the lava, and when I got there I dug a huge stockpile area to the south for several screens...not one single type of ore at all.  And I mean this pile was huge.

Although in my game prior to that I'd found a huge store of copper, silver, gold, platinum, coal, and iron all mixed with each other right next to the lava.

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 05:23:00 pm »

The only metals I've found so far in my game are silver and tin, hopefully I'll find some more soon.  (And yeah, I'm still on my first game, it was a quiet map and I'm still learning as I go.)

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 06:41:00 pm »

Oh man. Here's some absolutely insane luck: "A miner has found some Blue diamond mixed in with the Sapphire." I've never seen any of the colored diamond varieties even digging huge mines along the lava river, and now I have some before I've even seen the chasm!

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 08:00:00 am »

My first game is still going. Over 90 dwarves, various nobles, no miasma problems, maybe a total of 5 attacks altogether (and few thief raids), never having to worry about food even when I only built my first farm after few years etc etc. My legendary miner broke into all of Cave River, Chasm and Lava River, without getting hurt. Nothing bad happened. I found Cave River in a small Waterfall room. I don't think I still have any working floodgate even after I've succesfully farmed for two-three years. I have only lost one fisherman, few cats and a horse to the floods, even with stupid fishers and farmers waiting for the flood over the three bridges over the waterfall branch and the main branch which leads to my main farm areas on the other side of the river. I have found iron, platinum and gold, but not coal - but I've been cutting the area clear of any forests, and the worst that happened was a stupid jeweler-turned-hunter chasing a cougar to the middle my outside work area and trade depot, and then dying against it - the caravan guards killed it just moments after.
When I got my one and only autumn immigrant wave, I was just thinking I needed some more dwarves to gather harvest and to get better military (I didn't need in for few years after that, but they were already pretty skilled at that point, and could dispatch anything easily).

I didn't read the forums until well into the game. I e.g. didn't realize I could dig into the mountain (    :roll: ), not finding out ? works as * until after after the forum visit, getting the sheriff and waiting a while before noticing the new Justice bar (the Sheriff was down to Unhappy already), but making the cages/chains before he goes berserk or anything, etc etc.

What else... Oh, I'm filthy rich. Things like Felsite Mechanism worth 1710* thanks to it being encrusted with Aquamarine and Rock crystal, encircled with bands if finely-crafted Emerald and decorated with images of flies in aventurine... Legendary carpenter, miner and mason do wonders. I also got a legendary Engraver a year ago, and he has been making nobles very happy.

My first game is still going. Is this lucky or what?

[ August 31, 2006: Message edited by: Janne Joensuu ]

[ August 31, 2006: Message edited by: Janne Joensuu ]

Janne )`*

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 09:44:00 am »

I hit the longest running vein of ore and gems ever. From nearly the entrance of my base, heading both back over and south towards the front of the mount, then back and up north to a waterfall, around the waterfall, into tin, and gems strewn around, all in all, well over 150 pieces of ore out of it. yay.
HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 12:58:00 pm »

silver? i think in 1 world , i've had silver, copper, tin, zince and various gems well before the river...

but then again, that was before i stopped caring about digging up every little drop of ore/gems..

last game was funny.. i reached the river and saw bits of it.. planned out a few farm blocks... started digging only to find 1/2 of the blocks lie on top of an unrevealed waterfall!

what's the best farm block? 10x10 -1? (max single size) or some 6x? blocks instead?

Sophismata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 02:01:00 pm »

In my first game, I found no ore, ever. Even up to the chasm, not even sapherite ore. I was lucky enough to receive 25 immigrants before winter, had some non-metal artifacts but never received a noble.

My second game was the opposite. I struck Copper, Tin, Silver and Sapherite right away. I founf iron, platinum and gold right after the chasm. I had plenty of food, but didn't get many immigrants - I think my population was a measly 20 or something by the second winter, so I abandoned that fort too.

Nothing else really major - I did particularly well in a No Wood map, but found it more frustrating than rewarding to play because I couldn't control the growth of Tower-Caps.

sanch3x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 02:02:00 pm »

My luckiest was the game where my miner got a fey mood right off the bat, made something mundane (using granite stone) and then became a legendary miner. Made the rest of the game a breeze.  :)

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 03:04:00 am »

I had a dwarf go into a fey mood, but apparently I didn't have the right workshop, so he just hung around the well, where guards were stationed (in case of a frogman attacks), so they were able to quickly dispatch the rampant dwarf. Does that count?
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"
Pages: [1] 2