Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: When have you had absolutely insane luck?  (Read 4349 times)

Canuck-Errant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When have you had absolutely insane luck?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 10:33:00 am »

I once found silver 3 tiles in.

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 03:34:00 pm »

my newest world... went through on the first try of generation! woot.
HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 03:36:00 pm »

my newest world... went through on the first try of generation! woot.
HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2006, 07:13:00 pm »

In my latest game, I just hit the chasm for the first time, and the FIRST thing I see, a couple screens to the north, is hematite, coal, and gold.

On the WEST side of the chasm.

One uberfortress, coming right up.

MikeWulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 11:30:00 am »

This is odd... On my map there is so much ore and gems that I am leaving them in the walls. I've got every type besides moonstone and iron ore and this is all in the space before the river. There must be at leave 100 veins of all types.

Fenek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 01:20:00 pm »

Goddammit. I'm sick and tired of copper. Hit the goddamm two veins, just right in the middle of my settlement. And, of course, spotted the third vein (I think). Just what the hell I'm going to do with all this green, smelt it? Give me some iron, now!

On a side note: I hadn't SINGLE attack from cave inhabitants. And I've thought this was pretty wild (untamed wilds, yellow ya'know) area. Guess I was playing too much on serene settings.

And here is my fortress:

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/650/localmap1106424094kh6.png

[ September 11, 2006: Message edited by: Fenek ]

Fenek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 01:21:00 pm »

nvm, blank post

[ September 11, 2006: Message edited by: Fenek ]

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2006, 03:58:00 am »

funny.. just found my 1st iron ore on the river side of the chasm...

now... just have to figure out how to build lava forges for the 1st time..... (assuming i don't kill everyone whilst digging all the way to the lava!)

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2006, 02:30:00 pm »

How about the enemy goblin civilization having only copper equipment? Pretty lucky I think, and makes wiping them out with better equipped dwarves a breeze.

This is on my first game which I'm still playing by the way, currently at 180 dwarves. The local very large wild elephant population (often 2-3 herds on screen, sometimes up to 20 elephants total) is more deadly than the silly goblins. The wild elephants seem to have a vendetta against Ferite nobles too; I'm on my 4th one now after each of his predecessors has been flattened by elephants. I suppose you might even consider that a lucky streak as well.   :roll:

[ October 23, 2006: Message edited by: Janus ]

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2006, 02:31:00 pm »

EDIT: sorry, dupe post.

[ October 23, 2006: Message edited by: Janus ]

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Kylaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2006, 02:40:00 pm »

In my most recent game, my first dwarf trading caravan had six load mules with it. I'd never seen more than two in the first year prior to that. My first human caravan hasn't arrived yet, but I'm eagerly anticipating it, hopefully it'll also be more than 2 wagons.

Luckily, I'd been churning out stone crafts just to get rid of surplus stone (I refuse to make stone stockpiles, I hate them and try to get rid of stone any other way), and managed to buy everything they had. Got a bunch of food, some leather and cloth, and a copper cage.

I also had three lizardmen attack, only to be repulsed by my single swordsdwarf. He killed one on the spot, sent another one flying backward into the wall, and wounded the third, which ran back to the river and got away.

On the downside, I lost my #1 carpenter to an elephant as he tried to build a road.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 08:14:00 am »

I've gotten pretty lucky so far this game. The cave river was situated at the perfect distance from the cliff entrance, the chasm wasn't too close or too far from the cave river, and there's a massive amount of space between the chasm and the magma river, giving me more than enough room to expand. On top of that, I pre-planned out a massive throne room/dual bedrooms/giant dining room for the Dwarven King (I intend to go all the way with this fortress) and, as luck would have it, the chasm literally bent around the entire pre-planned section. It comes within ~5 tiles, but no closer.

I've been lucky elsewhere, too. My first 4 strange moods were all on useful dwarves (mason, carpenter, craftsdwarf, metalsmith), all were fey moods/secretive moods (so I got legendary skill off them), all needed only a few items, and all needed items I already had available  :cool:

Kylaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2006, 10:55:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Zurai:
<STRONG>To top it all off, I managed to kill a Tyrannosaurus Rex (which did, admittedly, kill two of my hunters and four war dogs), butcher it, and make a set of leather armor out of its scaly hide    :cool:</STRONG>

You're playing with a modded creature file, right?

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2006, 11:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kylaer:
<STRONG>

You're playing with a modded creature file, right?</STRONG>

Yep. The changes are posted in the "Share your monstrisities" thread a few posts down.

Pages: 1 [2]