Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How I mak babby? (Dwarven Gestation Question)  (Read 3828 times)

Tryptic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How I mak babby? (Dwarven Gestation Question)
« on: November 23, 2009, 02:54:32 pm »

Seriously, how long does it take my dwarves to have kids?  It's been a year-and-a-half since embark.  I have two pairs of lovers, a barracks, and extra beds. 
My init was set to only 25% of the fort should be children, but I've changed that, and 25% of 7 is still >1. 
I need more than 7 dwarves!  And with the constant Orc sieges, I may not get more.

On the plus side, I caught a GCS without any injuries.  Yay for silk thread!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: How I mak babby? (Dwarven Gestation Question)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 02:58:37 pm »

They need to be married before they start popping out children.

Once they get married, they tend to produce children rapidly.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 02:58:57 pm »

Dwarves need to be married before they'll reproduce.  And for them to marry you have to give them enough time off.  So you need to make sure the lovers spend enough time idling together to get married first.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 03:02:59 pm »

They have to be married. A year and a half isn't a very long time, it usually takes a few before dwarves start marrying and producing kids.

Try to make a tiny meeting area, the dwarves will become friends/lovers/spouses much quicker.

Also, in dwarven relationships where one or both of the dwarves is in the military, they'll never get married until they're undrafted. If you re-draft them afterwards they'll stay married.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 03:03:16 pm »

you'd think with all the booze the dwarves consume, babies would be produced with out having to be married
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 07:42:53 pm »

I'd advise against kids. It takes twelve years for a child to become an adult dwarf. Until then, they drain your resources and your framerate.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 09:00:30 pm »

Children aren't entirely useless, they do things that have no labor associated with them like pulling levers and deconstructing walls. However, it's mostly true, the only good use for them is baby shields for champions.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 09:48:13 pm »

I read in another thread that a recruit married someone.  It didn't mention having to undraft the recruit first.  What have other people found to be the case?  I have two champions with lovers.  I'd like them to get married to their lovers but I don't want to make them unhappy by undrafting them if I don't need to do that.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 01:40:01 am »

I read in another thread that a recruit married someone.  It didn't mention having to undraft the recruit first.  What have other people found to be the case?  I have two champions with lovers.  I'd like them to get married to their lovers but I don't want to make them unhappy by undrafting them if I don't need to do that.

You can't undraft champions, moot point.

Sure other dwarves might be unhappy to leave the military but it beats the hell out of a tantrum spiral.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 11:02:43 am »

You can't undraft champions, moot point.

Sure other dwarves might be unhappy to leave the military but it beats the hell out of a tantrum spiral.

Okay, but will they get married anyway?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 08:33:59 pm »

What I always do with my children is that I enable health care and hauling labors for them in dwarf therapist. Nothing that needs skills, but the other junk. Cheating? Yes. But it makes them much less annoying. To compensate, I set babies to grow up to children after three years instead of one.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 08:58:25 pm »

In my last 2 forts, I've turned off childbirth entirely.

Regarding the subject line, you got it wrong - it should be "How is babby formed".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 08:55:08 am »

I know I've had champions who've never been undrafted and had babies, granted they may have been already married when I originaly drafted them so it may be a moot point....cant recall ever seeing a champion - or any long term soldier for that matter, get married myself... I'll have to pay attention in this next fort.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 09:02:45 am »

I know I've had champions who've never been undrafted and had babies, granted they may have been already married when I originaly drafted them so it may be a moot point....cant recall ever seeing a champion - or any long term soldier for that matter, get married myself... I'll have to pay attention in this next fort.

In my experience, champions can never marry. It must be that the second you ascend to the flashing white, you take a matching vow of chastity.

I've played a fort with a race modded to live 12 years, and thus I would have ~30% of my population idle at any given moment, trying to get them married so that they could sire the next generation. I even refused to assign labors to unmarried creatures, or creatures with lovers. Under conditions that would take peasants ~1-2 years to get married, generation after generation of my champions infallibly went from taking a lover at the age of 2 to death due to old age without marriage. Their lovers invariably became mayors from having socialized away decades in the meeting hall waiting for their beloveds.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Binamrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 03:47:18 pm »

People need time off to get married and get children?
That'd explain why my mayor had fifteen of the little buggers following her around whilst the other dwarves seemed to be in dire need of some sex-ed. :P
Also my Captain of the Guard wants a suite but I can't assign him to any object.
Nevermind, turns out her upper body was missing.
Pages: [1] 2