Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Fortune Compendium  (Read 2825 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortune Compendium
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 08:39:06 am »

A goblin ambush sprung on my fortress, Deepfurnace, while I was off looking at the top of the volcano (as one might expect, I am indeed draining it to live inside, in a giant green glass structure). Everyone was outside, and since this was the first elven caravan, I didn't expect an ambush, and I had no safe-houses. Thankfully, my military was fighting a muskox on the side of the cliff directly over the ambush, and my commander dodged off... right onto the ambush. Despite having fallen 5 or so Z levels, she landed right on a swordsgoblin (the leader, I presume), and immediately minced him. No injuries from the fall!

Only a single cheesemaker died that day (he triggered the ambush), so I suppose it was a bit of a gain.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Zdrok

• Bay Watcher
  • You are melting!
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortune Compendium
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2011, 08:53:01 am »

I was being stupid while digging a pit to hold my VCC and toss people into.  Two guys, Ducim and Alath, were working on it.  Ducim was on the third Z level up and Alath was on the first Z level, the bottom.  A single cave in block fell down and hit the ground.  I had forgotten that the cavern was the next z level down.. It smashed through the floor and sucked both miners down with it.  Alath fell like 5 levels directly on his head and died instantly and Ducim was in the middle of falling about 7 levels.  He was a legendary miner and I was sure he was screwed, but he managed to land just right.  He broke almost every bone in his body but nothing else was damaged.  He layed next to his dead miner companion for so long, bleeding out on the ground.  He managed to make a full recovery, however, and is still mining today.
Pages: 1 [2]