Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WHY ARE THEY SUCH MORONS  (Read 19418 times)

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
WHY ARE THEY SUCH MORONS
« on: November 18, 2009, 05:01:54 am »

New Fort. I have food and booze aplenty, and yet two of my goddamn miners (uninjured, I might add,) start hunting for "small animals" and THEN one of them DIES OF THIRST.

What the hell is going on? Are they so stupid they can't even feed themselves now? I can understand that once they start hunting vermin they do absolutely nothing else- and that might have made that one moronic dorf die of thirst- but how the HELL they could have started hunting vermin in the first place when I've got cooked meals AND plump helmets laying all over the place, I have no idea.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 05:03:55 am by Demetrious »
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WHY ARE THEY SUCH MORONS
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 05:23:59 am »

It sounds to me like they managed to mine themselves into a place they can't get out of.  Ramps may have been involved.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 05:35:57 am »

Check on their location, since they are miners it is likely that they managed to mine away their access to the fort, by ramps, stairs, or even by standing on the wrong side of a channel they were digging(Or worse, digging a channel all around themselves and stranding themselves on an island.)

They just don't think ahead, which leads to this.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 07:48:41 am »

For example, Ramps become impassible if you remove the walls adjacent to the top of the Ramp. They also become unusable if none of the floors adjacent to the top of the Ramp has a solid block of stone directly beneath it. Check the Wiki article on Ramps, here.
Never pet a burning dog.

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 10:02:42 am »

Huh. Thank you gentlemen, I didn't know about the dangers of ramps. I did have them channeling out the frozen crust of some murky pools (to destroy the water; they'd already mined out the ice underneath,) and knowing how channeling goes I assume that they managed to fall in and injure themselves; or perhaps I designated the ice stairs for channeling accidentally and then they fell in.

tl;dr I'm an idiot, move along~
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Kraegan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 08:06:57 pm »

I notice this alot when I have more then one miner digging a channel.  They almost always get stuck.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 09:27:04 pm »

Kraegan: Unless you have water or lava in the area you're removing, it's almost always more effective to dig by designating ramps at level z-1 rather than channels at level z-0. You can do large areas of any shape and not worry about dwarfs being stranded on mini-islands. Just be careful when (if) you later Remove All Ramps; the last one will leave a trapped dorf.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 04:00:47 am »

Dwarves are morons in all situations ("I'm on fire, man I need a beer!") because their blood is 120 proof. Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth. Naturally, this constant deluge of ethanol has a negative impact on their ability to handle complex problems, such as not blowing up half the fort in a spray of boiling alcohol.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 06:45:55 am »

Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
Sig'd.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 07:05:05 am »

If your channelling out a whole room I've found it's best to use a checkerboard pattern at first then remove the tiles farthest from the entrance one row at a time.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 01:21:38 pm »

Just be careful when (if) you later Remove All Ramps; the last one will leave a trapped dorf.
Designating that last tile as stairs instead would allow it to be channelled out later, wouldn't it?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 06:32:29 pm »

The way I dig channels is to start at the center then radiate outward a tile at a time.

If your channelling out a whole room I've found it's best to use a checkerboard pattern at first then remove the tiles farthest from the entrance one row at a time.

This only works if the "checkerboard" has support even further below it.  If not, things will cave in due to the lack of orthogonal support, as support does not flow diagonally.  Also, it'd be a pain to designate without a macro.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 09:49:48 pm »

Sig'd.

Thanks.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.