Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sheer cliffs  (Read 4109 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: Sheer cliffs
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 09:51:05 pm »

My best find so far has two levels straight up from the grass.  After that, there are a few ramps, but very few.  It's quite a steep face.

Of course, if you want a plateau on top, you have to go for a river.  Mountains next to grassland aren't going to create a plateau.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 10:43:37 pm »

My best find so far has two levels straight up from the grass.  After that, there are a few ramps, but very few.  It's quite a steep face.

Of course, if you want a plateau on top, you have to go for a river.  Mountains next to grassland aren't going to create a plateau.

I dunno, this looks like a plateau to me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

THIS is what happens when you crank up the elevation variation and turn off erosion.

It's not a hard cap on elevation; there's a handful of places a bit higher than the main plateau.

That's one of the benefits of the new mountain system; the mountain ranges look like actual mountains now (rectangular mountains, but mountains nonetheless). Can't wait for Toady to fulfill his promise to put the occaisional cliff back in, though.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 10:49:31 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 10:51:01 pm »

That mountain is genuinely epic.  Now I'm tempted to turn erosion off and max out elevation too, just to see what sort of crazy super-mountains generate.
Sanity is for the weak.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 10:58:59 pm »

Yeah deffinitly need cliffs, i want to mine a fortress in the side of one by the sea  :(
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 11:04:34 pm »

Are you sure about cliffs bieng back in the next release?

Anyways, I have thought of doing a cliff dwelling style fort, but the 'cliffs' are too rampy right now to really be called cliffs without extensive terraforming.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2009, 11:13:03 pm »

Are you sure about cliffs bieng back in the next release?
Nope, I missheard.  Sounds like soonish, but not this release.
Quote from: Toady
When cliffs come back - when we get a notion of a cliff as an external feature - the problem with cliffs coming back was that you didn't have a way to climb, they were everywhere and you didn't have a way to climb in adventure mode. But cliffs can start to come back first probably as external features, just like the lava and so on, like lava and bottomless pits used to be these features underground, there are going to be special features above ground where you have a bit more interesting things that it also can have a handle on so it doesn't just put them everywhere and at that time you can start to think about a cave entrance that looks more interesting. The problem was that there's no real sheer faces to make a cave entrance look more like you'd expect a cave entrance to look like, so it just has to dig down, right? It has to dig in the dirt until it gets a cave entrance for you, which is really disappointing because you go and they all look like these little pits. So it's something we want to change but it's something that has an intermediate step that needs to go in first and I'm not sure when the aboveground thing ... when we put in things like canyons and mesas and other interesting constructions aboveground.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 11:13:10 pm »

Edit: nvm, thought he was referring to me.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 04:44:41 am »

holy shi-

how many z-levels is the mauntain in that picture ?!

oh and also using 33f worked fine, not tried 38c yet, can anyone tell me what the main differences (apart from my precious cliffs) are between them and 40d?
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 01:49:06 pm »

how many z-levels is the mauntain in that picture ?!

100, give or take a couple. Someone else had a mountain more than twice as tall as that one, mind you.

oh and also using 33f worked fine, not tried 38c yet, can anyone tell me what the main differences (apart from my precious cliffs) are between them and 40d?

I looked through the dev log for a while, and this is what I found.

Between 33f and 38c, the main features added were:
-vastly improved trading interface
-gods
-made entities a fair bit less hardcoded (no noticeable change in vanilla DF for the most part, but sieges might be a bit different)
-a fair bit of new history stuff in worldgen and legends
-added temples and religions to towns
-added minimap for adventure mode
-allowed non-drunks/soldiers to join your party in Adventure mode
-added "zero rent" init option
-allowed traps to work against magma/chasm/cave river creatures
-dwarfs hanging out in meeting zones while no job/on break/partying gain conversation skills
-allowed dwarves to get married, have friends, have other types of relationship; also updated personality screen
-dwarves put artifact in workshop instead of hauling it around for the rest of their life
-allowed worlds to be set to smaller sizes (the current "large" worldsize was previously the only size)

Between 38c and 40d, the main features added were:
-multiple constructions can be set at a time
-added forbid, dump, melt, and new "hide" feature to the designations menu
-eras now named dynamically (previously it always went through the same three ages)
-more worldgen history stuff, like entities claiming territory and people killing things, also wars and stuff
-megabeasts, semimegabeasts, and underground feature creatures can be undead
-megabeasts and semimegabeasts can die during worldgen
-no more cliffs
-roads and tunnels and stuff
-worldgen parameters, world painter
-notes in dwarf mode and on embark map
-init option to show underground map features during embark (this previously could be done via a 3rd-party utility), also added site finder feature
-allowed expansion of the game window to larger sizes
-forbid-on-death option in orders menu
-added SHARP stones (obsidian) to the economic stones menu
-init option for partial screen refreshes (new speed optimization option)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 01:58:29 pm »

Note that a save generated in an earlier version can (and should, reading that list and remembering the old "one wall at a time" construction system sent a chill down my spine) be played in a newer version.  I'm positive save compatibility does back to 38, and pretty sure it goes all the way back to 33.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2009, 03:13:53 pm »

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. If I remember right, save compatability goes all the way back to the first 3D version.

So you could make a fort with decent cliffs in 38c and bump it up to 40d.

The save compatability is not without its problems, mind you; I remember when volcano refilling was put in, saves from earlier versions had trouble with getting the volcanoes to stop refilling.

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2009, 03:58:23 pm »

Thanks for the help everyone

Oh and nil, you are now my hero =D
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 04:30:16 am »

Sorry to bump but....

I dunno, this looks like a plateau to me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

THIS is what happens when you crank up the elevation variation and turn off erosion.

It's not a hard cap on elevation; there's a handful of places a bit higher than the main plateau.

That's one of the benefits of the new mountain system; the mountain ranges look like actual mountains now (rectangular mountains, but mountains nonetheless). Can't wait for Toady to fulfill his promise to put the occaisional cliff back in, though.

Excuse my noobishness but what do you do to turn off erosion? I've figured out how to put up the elevation variance (its quite obivious) but how do i affect errosion?
if the world were binary all DF fans would be represented by smily faces
Pages: 1 [2]