Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: General planning/thinking  (Read 1146 times)

MrDannimal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
General planning/thinking
« on: August 20, 2006, 10:05:00 pm »

How do you group time periods in the game, and what do you expect to accomplish in each period?  In a very general sense, I mean.

For example:

1)  Arrival - Build a carpenter/mason/fishery shop, collect wood/stone/fish and start pumping out essentials (beds/chairs/tables/food).  Lay out all the stockpiles.

I've seen people either dig a single tunnel right for the river or build a temporary pseudo-fort (common bedroom and such) while they search for the river.

2) Flood recedes - You've found the river and are ready to get serious.  Add a mechanic for floodgates (if you want to go beyond river-adjacent farmlands), maybe a craftsdwarf to make stuff for the impending caravan.  Start building individual bedrooms, a well...

I haven't gotten much past that stage with any coherent plan (each time I learn how to better handle the period I just hit for the first time).  

A rough guess of other periods/markers to expand on:

- First winter
- Migrants arrive

Some thoughts/questions:

- When do you start adding the "advanced" workshops (metalsmith/forges/cloth/leather...

- Do you ever move entirely indoors, or is that not possible because of the need for wood?

- How do you plan/defend against intruders from the cave river?  I've tried putting "locked" doors between the main fort and the river, but I don't know if that works or if I just haven't been unlucky.  Can random baddies pass through closed floodgates?

Feel free to add...

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: General planning/thinking
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 10:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MrDannimal:
<STRONG>I've seen people either dig a single tunnel right for the river or build a temporary pseudo-fort (common bedroom and such) while they search for the river.
</STRONG>

Bah. The outside river is much, much faster. I excavate a farm of about two 6x6 rooms, THEN work on other stuff. Bring about 40 plump helmet spawns and meat instead of plump helmets, a couple of skilled growers and you'll never, ever have food problems. EDIT: Then again, I don't play in highly hostile areas.

[ August 20, 2006: Message edited by: Zereth ]