Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven interruptions  (Read 1169 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Dwarven interruptions
« on: November 25, 2009, 10:22:21 am »

I need to do some work near a natural waterfall, and there are 4 olmmen three z-levels beneath where I'm working.  I've tried adding the [NOFEAR] tag to my dwarves, just for this job, but I'm still getting constant interruptions and the work isn't progressing.  Any ideas on how to get them to finish the work?
Thanks,
Dame
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven interruptions
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 10:24:36 am »

Marksdwarves.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 10:34:41 am »

I thought of that, but I have a use for those olmmen, and I'd rather not have to kill them unless I absolutely have to.  :-\

-Dame
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 10:39:38 am »

Field of cage traps near the olmmen + bait

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 01:23:00 pm »

Those'll bring all the river's denizens flooding to that area.  But, I guess needs must.  Pity, the "Plan" called for them staying in/near the river.

-Dame

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 01:30:47 pm »

If I know my raws right, olmmen don't have [liKES_FIGHTING], so stationing some soldiers where your dwarves are getting scared off might be enough to shoo them away.

Maybe.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 02:39:38 pm »

Really?  I'll have to try that.

-Dame

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 02:51:25 pm »

...the "Plan" called for them staying in/near the river.

Well yes, that just means you drop gently place them back in the river after work has finished and your dorfs aren't there to be scared any more.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 05:09:54 pm »

Well, you could certainly trap them instead of killing them, and release them when you're done. It would be more work.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 05:22:50 pm »

Remove [Eyes] from your dwarves. It will only affect when your military aggros, I believe. Otherwise not seeing the enemy will result in uninterrupted work.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 08:02:30 pm »

Since setting up enough traps to rid that section of the waterfall of denizens would ruin the design I had in mind, I tried removing the eyes and...it works!  Thanks for the idea, darkflagrance.  I will have to remember that trick..and to replace the eyes when I'm done.  :P

-Dame