Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not ready for battle  (Read 2829 times)

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
Not ready for battle
« on: December 03, 2009, 06:12:33 pm »

Ok so here's the situation,  I'm in the 3rd year of my first fort that shows signs of greatness. I have orcs and primitive civilization mods, 5 or 6 civs are at war with me.  I have been in near constant siege since late the first summer.  In three almost 4 game years I have gotten 2 elf caravans and 1 dwarf caravan and 2 migrant waves (8 then 20 something)

And for some reason the primitive peoples don't go away over time, they stay put till I kill enough for the siege to break.  Problem is I don't have a military set up and I'm not really able to spare any more. (lost several dwarfs while applying magma to previous siege)

I'm considering abandoning, swarming is not much of an option, and waiting things out is not possible.

MisterLich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not ready for battle
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 06:19:44 pm »

Collapse the ground beneath them and kill them with a cave in.

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 06:23:41 pm »

How do I do that without exposing my 2 miners to the enemy? The risk of death is high as it is with the cave-in.

MisterLich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 06:27:24 pm »

It's high risk, but if you are willing to abandon then perhaps you're ready to try a high risk option.  If the invaders are in a consistent area, have your miners dig out several sections of earth below them in large caverns.  Hold up each of the lower sections with supports and then channel them out completely so that they are held up by the supports.  Place hatches on either side of the top layer so that it makes a bridge.

Finally send your miner a little ways away from the main force and have them build up and to the surface, then lure the invaders down after attaching the supports and hatches to a level. (To make sure that you get all of them make the area carved out rather large).  Find a way to lure them onto the top segment them toss the lever and that should kill them in the cave in.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 07:07:43 pm »

How do I do that without exposing my 2 miners to the enemy? The risk of death is high as it is with the cave-in.
Dig up stairs in a ring around the place you want to collapse, build a support inside that area, then designate the tiles directly above the ring of up stairs for channeling. Miners can channel out squares from below if there if an up stair there. Then, just link the support to a lever and pull once all your people are out of the death zone.

If there are archers in the siege, however, there is still some danger of your people getting shot at. It is simply less risky than the alternatives.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 07:11:03 pm »

Or simply dig under them ( you may loose a digguer if he is stupid enough to wander outside after the ramp stage )

1. Dig a nice tunnel under them dont breach up.
2. Build a bunch of stone fall trap maybe 40 or so in a narrow corridor ( 2 wide ) and once all trap are set. Set some restricted area around the furtur breach ( ground level not in tunnel to avoid miner to go out to go back to fortress )
3. Finaly breach the celling with a ramp and watch them all get insde and killed with stonefall trap. Long tedious but simple.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 07:12:49 pm »

Dig up stairs in a ring around the place you want to collapse, build a support inside that area, then designate the tiles directly above the ring of up stairs for channeling. Miners can channel out squares from below if there if an up stair there. Then, just link the support to a lever and pull once all your people are out of the death zone.

If there are archers in the siege, however, there is still some danger of your people getting shot at. It is simply less risky than the alternatives.

Hmm didnt know that, good to know, it open up some ideas i didnt know possible
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 08:17:14 pm »

I'm going with the first plan stated, simply because it's somewhat resettable.  While having pot holes dotted across my map sounds fun I want something that can take care of sieges without to much danger. 

And I must add that this current siege came before the end of the season that the previous siege was killed in.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 04:18:38 am »

Cave-ins are messy, difficult to repeat, and often destroy valuable loot.  I say drown 'em or drop 'em. 

Dropping them requires a little extra digging.  A drop of five z-levels will usually kill or maim normal invaders.  But there's quite a bit of randomness to the damage, so it's best to have some war dogs or a soldier or two to finish off any survivors.

Drowning them requires water, of course, and a little extra engineering.  But there's no randomness.  It'll kill anything that breathes (which does not include the undead).

Either way, the basic plan is to lure them down a long zigzag tunnel with the promise of dwarf-killing.  Then flip some levers, lock 'em in, and then drown 'em or drop 'em.  If you design it right, all the loot will land somewhere close to your depot or smelters.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 04:44:03 am »

Make a large airlock behind your entrance and fill it with spike traps. Connect them all to a single lever inside your fortress. Chain an expendable animal (or station an expendable recruit) in the airlock. Close inner doors, open outer doors. They go in to kill the victim, you shut the outer door behind them. Then set the lever to be pulled repeatedly. Profit! Repeat as needed.

Preferably the airlock should look like a long, thin passageway, so not too many traps are needed, yet many invaders get caught and impaled.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 04:47:06 am by Murphy »

MisterLich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 08:45:57 am »

Cave-ins are messy, difficult to repeat, and often destroy valuable loot.  I say drown 'em or drop 'em. 

Dropping them requires a little extra digging.  A drop of five z-levels will usually kill or maim normal invaders.  But there's quite a bit of randomness to the damage, so it's best to have some war dogs or a soldier or two to finish off any survivors.

Drowning them requires water, of course, and a little extra engineering.  But there's no randomness.  It'll kill anything that breathes (which does not include the undead).

Either way, the basic plan is to lure them down a long zigzag tunnel with the promise of dwarf-killing.  Then flip some levers, lock 'em in, and then drown 'em or drop 'em.  If you design it right, all the loot will land somewhere close to your depot or smelters.

How are you proposing to drop the invaders?  They're not in cage traps so the dwarfs can't just pick them up and drop them down a shaft willy nilly.  Provide a bit more information, but I'm just asking because I'm intrigued.  Drowning is practical, a million ways to go about that method, but the only way I can think to intentionally drop invaders without a cave in is by draw bridge or a huge mesh of grates scattered about.

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 10:31:50 am »

I usually drown enemies, however the brook is frozen year round except for a small section 1 month a year.

Kraegan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 02:08:28 pm »

How are you proposing to drop the invaders?  They're not in cage traps so the dwarfs can't just pick them up and drop them down a shaft willy nilly.  Provide a bit more information, but I'm just asking because I'm intrigued.  Drowning is practical, a million ways to go about that method, but the only way I can think to intentionally drop invaders without a cave in is by draw bridge or a huge mesh of grates scattered about.

Retracting a bridge they were walking on used to work in older versions of DF, perhaps that is what he is talking about.  If it does work then just make a long bridge and trap them on the bridge, flip a lever to retract it and they should all fall down to whatever is below.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 03:38:36 pm »

How are you proposing to drop the invaders?
When the siege hits, I seal up everything except the siege entrance.  As the invaders come through the siege entrance, here's what they see:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)