Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: fish  (Read 19310 times)

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
fish
« on: November 26, 2009, 11:48:41 am »

so i'm pretty new to dwarf fortress and something.... odd happened. as the migrants were passing a pool of water, about half of them were "struck down". Intrigued, i used k to look around, but the only thing in the pool was carp.

What killed most of the migrants?
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: fish
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 11:55:58 am »

Carp.  Carp are dwarf-murdering monsters from hell.  Avoid them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 11:58:04 am »

so.... no fishing on this map?

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 12:03:19 pm »

Quote from the wiki:
If you are new to DF, then there is only one thing to do if you come across a river full of carp and you don't want your dwarves to die... Run. Run and never look back.
The word "carp" is an acceptable substitute for "crap" on these forums ;)

No, no fishing before you get rid of the carp. Just try to avoid the river, disable fishing for everyone and be sure to always have enough booze, so nobody tries to drink from the river.
If your fort should survive a few more years, try training some crossbowdwarves. They can engage the carp with relatively little danger of falling into the river.
When all the carp are dead, you can fish as much as you want. They won't ever come back. Search the wiki for "fishing".
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 12:23:14 pm »

Rivers full of carp are dangerous, but ponds full of carp are downright deadly. Carp don't like fighting, so they prefer to swim away - in a river, this is certainly possible (unless you catch them at the wrong angle, of course), but in a pond they have nowhere to go. Everyone knows that a cornered animal is dangerous, and, in Dwarf Fortress, carp are a perfect example of this.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 04:16:54 pm »

Make sure your markdwarfs are not set to chase enemies.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 06:14:40 pm »

Once I lost my seven dwarves to a river full of carp and immediately reclaimed. The game gave me 70 dwarves. It turned out that even they weren't enough.

Do not underestimate these foul riparian beasts!

...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 07:40:04 pm »

There won't be enough even 1000 dwarves if they can't swim and dodge in the water :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 12:47:28 am »

Before the carp problem is alleviated, also make sure that you Activate any hunters or rangers that migrate to the area. They have a tendency to try to beat carps with their crossbows.
 Wall around a few safe pools, for your fisher dwarfs, for times when you are not expecting liasons, or caravans. The pools filled them nasty boogers, can be utilized later for dwarf fish traps. Dig out a large area near the pools, with a floodgate to control water entry from the pool.Connect the floodgate area above ground with channeling, then once the floodgate is connected to a lever, pull it to drain the carp pool. Adding a tunnel from the drained pool, to the river,with another floodgate, can add fresh meat,bones, and leather to your inventory. Then send out the marksdwarves to finish off the rest of the finny monsters
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 10:09:52 pm »

I lost my first fortress to carp.

They killed a hunter who was walking around. Then they killed the peasant who came to claim his garb. Then they gravely wounded the next peasant. At this point I'd finally figured out what was happening, so I made their items forbidden and cut my losses.

Except that I hadn't dug a well yet. Dorfs kept coming to the river for water to treat the injured peasant and ended up dying or getting seriously hurt, which in turn caused more dorfs to get more water and... you see where this is going. I didn't figure out zones until far too late, and the resultant tantrum spiral caused my dorfs do descend to a level of barbarism that played out much like Bioshock under the Mountain.

So I guess the lessons to pull away from there are build wells and flee the terrifying carp.

Randomonioum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 03:20:42 pm »

I remember this one carp, that had killed over 100 dwarves, by sitting in a pond and eating them while they passed to get their +pig tail sock+. It got to the point where I was sending out my whole army, only to have them pulled in and drowned. In retrospect, my mistake was not using crossbow dwarves, but still. In the end, I decided to boot up the companion, overpower a dwarf, give him 100 swimming, strip him, throw him in, and let them do battle. THAT is the only way to injure a carp.
If you gave them a biome then the Elves may indeed start turning up with Wagons in cages.
Well, it does tie in to the fact that personality-wise, dragons are nothing more than gigantic, scaly, firebreathing cats.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 01:46:42 am »

But what about blocking them in obsidian?
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 09:06:55 am »

man, this place is going to be absolute torture for anyone to get to.

let me paint a picture for you:

The area is pretty flat, with a mountain in the northern part. to the south is a massive swampy area covering the entire southern half. there is a river to the east, and more fricking swamps to the west. most of the pools of water aren't too big, but the space between them is about two squares wide. every pool has carp.

3 migrant waves so far. I WOULD be at over 100 dwarves by now if the RNG didn't pick off every other one.

oh, and the name of the fortress: Tatlosgeshak (fish bait)

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 11:44:47 am »

man, this place is going to be absolute torture for anyone to get to.

let me paint a picture for you:

The area is pretty flat, with a mountain in the northern part. to the south is a massive swampy area covering the entire southern half. there is a river to the east, and more fricking swamps to the west. most of the pools of water aren't too big, but the space between them is about two squares wide. every pool has carp.

3 migrant waves so far. I WOULD be at over 100 dwarves by now if the RNG didn't pick off every other one.

oh, and the name of the fortress: Tatlosgeshak (fish bait)
Sometimes I wonder if the random name generator is sentient.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 10:35:05 pm »

Strictly speaking, it isn't. It merely acts as a front end buffer/display for the Random Number God*, who does all this stuff.

*a.k.a. The Lady.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Pages: [1] 2 3