Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: Twilight "Vampires"  (Read 28539 times)

Vahan

Twilight "Vampires"
« on: November 27, 2009, 06:09:30 am »

Right, chaps, I've got a bit of a problem with these guys. As far as I can tell, they are constructed entire from diamonds ( or whatever ) and they drink human blood? Well, that would be make them vampiric diamond golems, wouldn't it? And not vampires, per se? Just wondering, so I know whether or not to get my turn undead prepared.

But, seriously, is there anyone else who hates this book series? Poorly written Mormonist junk, with an overall pro-misogynistic message and women seem to LOVE them. Honestly, I went to see 2012 ( which is crap, by the way, although that's expected ) and the amount of females there to see this movie was disgusting. Maybe I'm just pissy about pulp fiction being so enjoyed by the masses ( see: Dan Brown ), but I'm horrified by the idea that these are the future of vampires. Hell, even Anne Rice's were better than these, at least they had something going on.

Ah, well, it doesn't matter anyway, you can't get sneak attack criticals on either of them. =(

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Twilight "Vampires"
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 06:17:04 am »

I too fear the future of real vampires being replaced by vampiric dimond golems..

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 06:25:24 am »

Yeah uhhhh, let's keep this discussion on how much twilight vampires suck this time rather than theoreticizing what women want (as males) and claiming that they love being abused by bad boys like the last thread we had that was locked.

Spoilers: twilight is a popular escapist fantasy, the teenage-esque girl same token as harry potter, SAW movies, WoW, Final Fantasy games (hell any video game), D&D, etc.

It's easy to say that it's stupid (because it is a mix of bland tropes and 5th grade writing) but at the same time we have to take a step back and realize some of the things we fawn over are stupid as well.

That being said, shiny vampires are stupid. I met the author and didn't know who she was at the time. She has a sense of humor at least.

Vahan

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 06:38:32 am »

It's easy to say that it's stupid (because it is a mix of bland tropes and 5th grade writing) but at the same time we have to take a step back and realize some of the things we fawn over are stupid as well.

That being said, shiny vampires are stupid. I met the author and didn't know who she was at the time. She has a sense of humor at least.

It's more than just the awful writing, though, it's the lack of ANYTHING interesting in the books.

Also, I refuse to believe she has a sense of humour after seeing the flip out she did over her latest book being released halfway through. ( That draft is an editor's worst nightmare, by the way. )

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 06:47:57 am »

hello i am a twilight and my name is dracula
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 06:49:13 am »

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 07:06:49 am »

I agree with This more.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 07:25:24 am »

What i find perculiar is this strange romanticizing of Vampires; they're cold-blooded murderers, alien beings that require the blood of live creatures to live. They're effectively immortal, able to dominate the minds of lesser beings and generally tend to be insane, nasty, both or all three at once.

Twilight does manage to effectively be what is known as 'lowest common denominator entertainment'. It's stupid because that way it hits the lowest common denominator between the largest group of people (in this case young girls). As a result, it's not very good, but it gathers a rediculous fanbase.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 07:26:23 am »

There are several things that piss me off about twilight, which I refuse to capitalize (I GET TO BE PETTY ABOUT THIS OKAY?), several hundred things, but here's one thing that bugged me before I even had time to amass this ball of disgust towards this hodgepodge of poor writing.

They leave school every time it's sunny.

The. Fuck. They. Do.

There is no way they could get away with that. No. Way. I don't care if this place is 'the rainiest place in America' (it's not), it does not rain 24/7, or if it does, it sure as fuck does not rain for two weeks straight, or remain overcast that long. The most, if you want to be really generous, they could hope for is a month of cloudy days and someone has to notice the fact they only take days off when its sunny.

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 08:02:49 am »

Honestly, till I saw previews for the second movie, I had no idea this existed.

Then Sofia said something which in turn led me to learn that these vampires sparkle in sunlight, rather then BURN.

This itself is enough to make me loath the existence of this series, and is, frankly, all I need to know about it and then some.

I mentally put in in the same place as Harry Potter, which after reading (rather, having read to me) the first book, I was able to detail the rest of the series, including how it ended.  At least Harry Potter was well written (for a childrens book).  From what I hear, twilight lacks even that much of a good point.
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 08:14:46 am »

The point is... debatable. In fact, if you go look up the New Moon thread, that's exactly what happened.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 08:16:28 am »

twilight is not in the same class as harry potter. it is a poorly written book that bashes all logical beliefs about vampires. new moon is even worse than the first book.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 08:17:37 am »

The original vampire wasn't burnt/harmed by sunlight, only weakened. But who cares about that? Sparkle sparkle.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 08:28:00 am »

The original vampire wasn't burnt/harmed by sunlight, only weakened. But who cares about that? Sparkle sparkle.
these vampires sparkle and are unharmed by sunlight. they just sparkle, wich is stupid.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 08:43:59 am »

http://www.cracked.com/funny-36-twilight/

It's Mills and Boon!

For teenaged girls (and moms)!

Without all the sex!

!!!!!

Now you'll excuse me, I have to go lie down and take my dried frog pills.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19