Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Playing D&D in your dwarf fort?

(1/6) > >>

Pantheon:
I used to be a Dungeon Master of a small Dungeons and Dragons group when i was younger. The sessions didn't really ammount to anything and we gradually lost interes probably because we were too young and had too short attention spans.

I've recently been thinking about starting up a new group, and while playing DF an idea struck me. Why not use a dwarf fortress as a dungeon location? It's every bit as detailed as it needs to be, made up of square tiles, has lots of guards and traps, and maybe most importantly: Rediculous ammounts of awesome treasure.

Thoughts?

hitto:
Plus, you can test your dungeon in adventure mode... Just export the map and voilą!

Diamond:

--- Quote from: Pantheon on November 27, 2009, 12:13:34 pm ---I used to be a Dungeon Master of a small Dungeons and Dragons group when i was younger. The sessions didn't really ammount to anything and we gradually lost interes probably because we were too young and had too short attention spans.

--- End quote ---
Maybe you were not just good enough as a DM ?

Also very nice idea for mapping purposes. Probably my next campaign, once I finish two current ones ;D Are you thinking about abandoned fortress or the existing one ? And its likely to be a HUGE amount of treasure and mastercrafted stuff in big fortress. Not something I like to give out to players  :P

Pantheon:
Well, i was thinking about trying it out at first with a very small 7-dwarf fort just to see how well it translates. Then later on, when the players are more powerful, i could take a big fort, let goblins or orcs kill most dwarves and run away with most of the loot, and then have the surviving dwarves hiring the players to help reclaim the fort or an artifact from there.

And yea, maybe i sucked as a DM, who knows.

Sliver Barb:
Using the exported map is kind of a nifty idea, although I can't imagine any sort of serious D&D session being held by playing DF itself or anything, unless you plan on doing some very extensive code work.

You'll also need to make up new meanings for a lot of the symbols, or you'll have some really bizarre things happen during the dungeon crawl.

"You are in what appears to be a large stone chamber full of long stone benches. Each bench is lined with long knives. Kitten corpses litter the floors, decapitated kitten heads tumbling about everywhere on the loose stone. Large metal cages along the southern wall are stuffed full of hundreds of the live versions of the animal, all mewling pathetically."

"I move towards the cages and attempt to open the first one."

"You succeed. The small animals skitter out, milling around you in random directions. Suddenly one of them locks eyes with you, and you feel the strangest urge to obey its wishes."

"Huh... I attempt to hit the kitten with my Broadsword of Ice."

"You start to swing, but suddenly your arm stops halfway. Instead, you pick up the little ball of fur and caress it gently. 'I wuv you, kitty! I'll never hurt you!'."

"Shit."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version