Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, buying an ebook reader.  (Read 3055 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
So, buying an ebook reader.
« on: November 23, 2009, 10:14:58 pm »

A papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3 clone)

I expect IŽll get a huge use out of it.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: So, buying an ebook reader.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 12:35:48 pm »

I prefer a real book in the same way I prefer a CD or a vinyl.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 01:40:54 pm »

I prefer digital. I have a huge library that if printed wouldnt fit anywhere in my house (much less my dorm room). Besides, I can use it to read my own notes too.

Of course I can read it in the computer too, but its a bit more tiring. And you have to be able to turn it on, to boot. This is doable at home in a desk, in class, or even at a long journey, I reckon, but a reader is far more portable, and thus better suited for long journeys, places other than the desk, and in general any situation in which I might want to read stuff but dont want either to bring in a computer, or a stack of notes.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 01:46:08 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 03:33:37 pm »

I see your point of view, but I will remain attached to my shelves of papery friends.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 04:32:33 pm »

I so much prefer CD's as well. I bought music off of the internet for years until last week when I remembered how good it was to feel the disc in your hands.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 08:17:12 pm »

I've got both. I do my trashy reading on my reader, and the better stuff I get in paper to put on a shelf and look classy.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 09:31:49 pm »

You know, I hate reading ebooks on the computer... But I don't think I'd mind reading on one of those. The contrast and level of light on that photo seems great to me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 10:22:17 pm »

They are supposed to be more comfortable than computer reading. That's part of the point of e-ink (I think low battery comsuption is the other half.  This one has a battery life of around 9000 turned pages. This, too makes it more viable to carry it around. In particular, this semester I've been logging around a bundle of notes so that I could study away from the computer. With this thing I just have to bring it in my pocket. )

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 03:26:02 am »

The ebook reader is basically a format for the distribution of  books, so the publishers still make money. Which is important because money makes them publish books. Still, I hear they work pretty good and have an ok selection of books. Also, the static screen means you aren't staring at a monitor, which secretly flickers.
(something about refresh rates)

You should tell us about more in general once you buy it, we could make a dwarf generation of book readers!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 04:49:13 am »

(For the record, there are such things as public domain books, and countries where filesharing is legal.)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 06:35:24 am »

How good are they with illustrations/images?

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 09:50:21 pm »

How good are they with illustrations/images?
I've got 50 bucks on black/white only.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 11:03:59 am »

black and white only.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 11:56:24 pm »

As a post-data on this: I've noticed that my former strategy of removing margins from documents so that I can fit more notes on the same page works bad for ebook readers. Since paper is no longer an issue, I'm going to assing them a margin to make reading easier