Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF in Harper's  (Read 3756 times)

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF in Harper's
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 11:21:40 pm »

Its happening. I finally get to be a hipster about something!

Then you should know DF was in the NYT about a year ago
And the MoMA!
It still is, and won't leave.
Well, DF being modern art means nothing because, and I quote:
Because, and I quote:
Because, and I quote:
"Naruto has like a whole building in Japan, and DF just has one thing".

That was actully the response I got.

If stupid people weren't stupid, they would band together and kill us all.

So museums and newspapers arn't enough to get DF was off the ground, but eventuly some super popular Youtuber or something will hit DF on the head and everyone will start playing it. Until then, I'm just the random guy that isn't playing Call of Duty.

This won't ever happen. Everyone may know about DF at some time, but not everyone will play it.
In my opinion, I really think that DF is just simply to complex and different to what people are used to to ever get really big. I mean, only a small amount of the population even has the brain power to learn it.

Its just so far from the adrenaline fuelled games that are the most popular among gamers, and continue to be made.

Not only that, but most of the gaming youth, even the ones who are able to play, could care less about a game getting into a museum or a newspaper writing about it. It would have to get played by someone very respected to get any recognision, which probably will never happen.

I may be wrong, and I hope I am, but that's what Iv always thought.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:27:43 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 12:05:13 am »

DF would be far more famous if it just had a better interface, and Toady actually cared to make it easier to learn. 

I mean, Minecraft doesn't have half of DF's features, but it's the sort of cult classic hit that DF would be capable of being.

It's not that the game is too complicated to learn, it's that it's only capable of being learned by a very specific subset of people who have an interest in what the game does powerful enough to make them want to learn it in spite of its ugliness and user unfriendliness.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 02:43:50 am »

DF would be far more famous if it just had a better interface, and Toady actually cared to make it easier to learn. 

I mean, Minecraft doesn't have half of DF's features, but it's the sort of cult classic hit that DF would be capable of being.

It's not that the game is too complicated to learn, it's that it's only capable of being learned by a very specific subset of people who have an interest in what the game does powerful enough to make them want to learn it in spite of its ugliness and user unfriendliness.

Indeed. Playing DF don't prove you are smarter than anyone, just that you really like this kind of game. I despise this kind of elitism we see here. I'm glad I had the opportunity to learn DF in a time I had a lot of free time, I wouldn't have this time nowadays.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 02:50:52 pm »

Indeed. Playing DF don't prove you are smarter than anyone, just that you really like this kind of game. I despise this kind of elitism we see here. I'm glad I had the opportunity to learn DF in a time I had a lot of free time, I wouldn't have this time nowadays.
Eh, we're zealous enough that we ensure the zealous community isn't zealously elitist. Simply zealously cultist.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 04:41:33 am »

I'm going to relish the inevitable Žižek rant about df.
Pages: 1 [2]