Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: DF Designer - 0.16.3 released  (Read 46677 times)

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
Re: DF Designer - 0.16.3 released
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2011, 12:03:02 am »

Running Windows 7, I get the insta-crash after starting the program. A black command prompt comes up for a millisecond, then disappears. After some trial and error, I get to see the single message it puts up:

"Program too big to fit in memory."

I saw that larger maps might need up to 2 GB in memory. Is it stopping it from running because less than 2 GB is available on my machine currently?
(At the time of trying to run it, ~1.2 GB was free, according to task manager)

Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Just to the Left of Venus (aka dev-null)
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2011, 06:10:42 am »

Running Windows 7, I get the insta-crash after starting the program. A black command prompt comes up for a millisecond, then disappears. After some trial and error, I get to see the single message it puts up:

"Program too big to fit in memory."

I saw that larger maps might need up to 2 GB in memory. Is it stopping it from running because less than 2 GB is available on my machine currently?
(At the time of trying to run it, ~1.2 GB was free, according to task manager)
OK, well that ought to be impossible... *scratches head*
If it were trying to make a large map and couldn't, it would produce "Not enough mem / couldn't alloc!".
What did you do to get the message?  It sounds like you were trying to run it from a DOS emulation (NTVDM) and for some reason it tried to load it as a DOS program.  The program should only need about 1.7MB to start (although more than that to run properly).
Bear in mind that I have zero experience with Windows 7 (or Vista for that matter), so it could just be something bizarre I don't even know of that's causing the problem.
It's maths, it must be true!
DF Designer

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2011, 12:19:22 am »

Well, here's the rundown of exactly what happened:

I dled df-designer from the link.
I unpacked it.
Upon inspecting the folders, I found that all files that were not images or .h or .c files lacked file extensions. Not knowing what some of them were, I tried just going into the /bin folder and changing that designer to .exe and running it by a standard double-click.

A black screen flashes up like it was in DOS for a millisecond. Through trial and error I was able to printscreen at the right moment before it faded to see if it said anything. It did, which was "Program too big to fit in memory."

After looking through the thread, I realized there was another designer file in the main directory. I typed in a .exe extension for it like the first file in the /bin directory, double-clicked to run, and it did the same exact thing.

The culprit is probably my system not knowing what in the hell the program is trying to open with the other files lacking file extensions.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Just to the Left of Venus (aka dev-null)
« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2011, 07:16:07 am »

I found that all files that were not images or .h or .c files lacked file extensions. Not knowing what some of them were, I tried just going into the /bin folder and changing that designer to .exe and running it by a standard double-click.
Ah, that explains it - it sounds like you've downloaded the Linux build instead of the Windows build.  (Linux executables have no extension)
It's maths, it must be true!
DF Designer

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2011, 04:15:15 am »

Fun tool, thanks for coding it and improving it.

I have one suggestion for the next version:  I understand your reasons for not wanting to learn DFHack to import existing maps, but would it be possible to include designations for Ramps and Open Space?

I'm trying to plan out a fort involving digging into two adjacent mountain peaks, sort of like ants tunneling into an anthill.  I'm trying to figure out how to arrange my walls, towers, bridges, and other external defenses to best take advantage of the hills and gullies the map has given me. I don't want to hand-craft the entire mountain range, but with those two options, it wouldn't be too hard for me to manually re-create the terrain at the z-levels that matter.
Days of frantic effort can save you hours of careful planning.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2011, 01:01:59 pm »

it would be interesting to be able to turn the differing surface z levels of the embark into a grayscale height map for use by 3d modelling programs for creating terrain for games
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

sparr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2013, 03:33:21 pm »

I know I'm bumping an old thread but I don't see a newer one for this software and it's still alive so...

I'm working on a patch to let DF Designer work at larger window sizes and/or with larger tiles.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2013, 10:27:43 pm »

I know I'm bumping an old thread but I don't see a newer one for this software and it's still alive so...

I'm working on a patch to let DF Designer work at larger window sizes and/or with larger tiles.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=35931.0
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]