Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: DF Designer - 0.16.3 released  (Read 46697 times)

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
Re: DF Designer - 0.12 released
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2010, 01:40:58 pm »

DFHack works for both Linux and Windows and I'm thinking about adding OSX support. The suggestion here clearly isn't feasible, but you could add terrain import from DF - use DFHack in the way it's meant to be used :)

I'm *slowly* working on that interface. The basics are in place - DFHack can talk directly to DF through shared memory. It's currently only used to accelerate the memory reads/writes and as workaround for some Linux kernel/Xorg bugs, but could be extended as needed. The plan is to move the hacking part to DF's side, so the client apps won't have to deal with this stuff.

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Just to the Left of Venus (aka dev-null)
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2010, 01:45:10 pm »

DFHack works for both Linux and Windows and I'm thinking about adding OSX support. The suggestion here clearly isn't feasible, but you could add terrain import from DF - use DFHack in the way it's meant to be used :)

I would totally be willing to merge a patch to do that, but I don't want to learn the DFHack API if it's liable to change; since you already know the API, you could code that up, hm?  (DF Designer's code isn't /too/ hard to work with; you could start from a copypasta of the load code or even just make a separate program that dumps a .dfd file from DFHack).

So: "show me the code".
It's maths, it must be true!
DF Designer

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2010, 07:50:23 pm »

heh just wondering--is this for designing a fortress layout or will it allow me to quickly make forts ingame? I always wanted to make advanced fortress designs without the inconsistencies of hand work so i figured thats what this was haha but its confusing.

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2010, 07:52:16 pm »

heh just wondering--is this for designing a fortress layout or will it allow me to quickly make forts ingame? I always wanted to make advanced fortress designs without the inconsistencies of hand work so i figured thats what this was haha but its confusing.

Just designing.  No way to inject it into DF.  (Though I'm sure someone with DFHack skillz could contrib a patch...?)
DF Designer

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2010, 07:59:16 pm »

That's quickfort.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2010, 08:13:26 pm »

But there is an option to export the designs you do in this program as a quickfort compatible CSV file.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2010, 08:26:32 pm »

But there is an option to export the designs you do in this program as a quickfort compatible CSV file.

Although it's very hacky and buggy and will only work if you carefully design the fort in such a way as to make it work.  Or hand-hack the generated CSV.
DF Designer

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2010, 11:11:53 am »

coming along nicely!
another suggestion, the "copy from z-level above/below" feature, wouldnt it be more handy to do it in a manner more like "clone current layer up/down"?
so then it would clone the current layer, and then change to the cloned z-level, in one click.

HebaruSan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2010, 10:27:53 pm »

Compiles out of the box on my Snow Leopard box (let me know if you want an OSX binary). But the call to SDL_LockSurface without an SDL_UnlockSurface prevents most of the graphics from displaying. Here's a patch to fix that, enable hardware acceleration and double buffering, and clean up the compilation warnings.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:29:24 pm by HebaruSan »

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2010, 06:54:17 am »

Thanks, HebaruSan!  I had some trouble applying those diffs (patch didn't seem to like them, dunno why), but managed to sort it out :)  Next time I do a new version, I'll do an OSX source tarball version as well.

If you could upload your OSX binaries to DF File Depot, that'd be great.  (Also I'd be grateful if you'd watch this thread, so you can update them when[if] new versions come out.
DF Designer

HebaruSan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2010, 09:01:47 pm »

Thanks, HebaruSan!  I had some trouble applying those diffs (patch didn't seem to like them, dunno why), but managed to sort it out :)  Next time I do a new version, I'll do an OSX source tarball version as well.

If you could upload your OSX binaries to DF File Depot, that'd be great.  (Also I'd be grateful if you'd watch this thread, so you can update them when[if] new versions come out.

OK! Thread watched, and OSX build uploaded to DFFD: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2312

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
Re: DF Designer - 0.13 released
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2010, 12:44:24 am »

ANN: 0.13 for Linux and 'Doze.
Upgraded the Isometric view mode - it's, technically, no longer isometric, since you can rotate it (in two senses).  So now you can look at your designs from every angle :)

Aside: it was actually really tricky, because I'm doing all the rendering in software, so I had to pull various tricks to get the draw order right.  In the end, I only handled one quadrant and then rotated the map data to get the other views.  Lots of fun with segfaults, but it works now =)

Hebaru: if you're making an OSX build, you'll have to apply your patches again as the current source remains unpatched.  I can't think of anything I've changed that might call for more patching effort, but then I don't know much about Macs :S
DF Designer

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2010, 04:10:36 pm »

Cool stuff! Can you link me to the source repo? I'd be happy to build a package for Arch Linux and put it in the arch-games repo :)

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2010, 04:13:40 pm »

Cool stuff! Can you link me to the source repo? I'd be happy to build a package for Arch Linux and put it in the arch-games repo :)

The source is in the main download (on DFFD).  Also, thanks; I know packaging is a dull job.
DF Designer

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2010, 01:00:29 pm »

Ah, ok. You really should be using some kind of version control for programming. You don't even know how much you want it yet ;)

PM me and I can help you get set up on github if you like. I'll make a note to build this for now too.

Edit: track it here: http://archlinux-gaming.org/issues/147
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 01:02:15 pm by Daenyth »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9