Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Huh, Maximum limit to archers?

(1/6) > >>

Poojawa:
Ok, so I have my fort. and while I perfer Marksdwarves, I seem to have run into a small problem with getting them all to practice.

I /want/ to have around 60 marksmen

I have 38 archery targets correctly set up, ect. more than enough practice bolts, more than enough crossbows/quivers, etc etc. and they have all their equipment.

Yet after 4 years, there are only about 39 or so of my wrestlers who have trained up to become marksmen. The other half just stand around in my meeting hall, off-duty, picking their noses. Before I reset their barrack beds, they'd just continue sparring and not shooting at the archery range. At first I though, "oh ok, the targets must be tasked or something,' and sent the confirmed marksmen on duty at various guard posts. yet they still just sit there.

I'm wondering if there's an actual limit to the number of dwarves able to practice based on your archey targets, or if they're just stupid enough not to both picking up ammo to practice.

Sliver Barb:
In the past, I have found that military laziness can almost always be traced to the squad leader. Some of them will literally just sit around all the time like useless asses, and their underlings will do the same until you remedy the situation. Change the leaders of the squads that aren't actively practicing and you may see results.

Poojawa:

--- Quote from: Sliver Barb on November 28, 2009, 12:46:26 pm ---In the past, I have found that military laziness can almost always be traced to the squad leader. Some of them will literally just sit around all the time like useless asses, and their underlings will do the same until you remedy the situation. Change the leaders of the squads that aren't actively practicing and you may see results.

--- End quote ---

I've known that, and should most likly also have mentioned it, but all the dwarves are their own squad, simply so they have a better chance at staying on their post >.>

Edit :

Just tried to have all the lazy dwarves into following the Captain of the Guard, simply because he's willingly shooting at a target. All they do is crowd around him. x.x

nil:
It could be that they're holding something they grabbed during some sort of preliminary wrestling training, but you've probably checked for this if its even possible in your case.  However, I've noticed that if practice bolts tend to get used as soon as they are made, some marksdwarves tend to always claim them while others will never get a chance.  Try putting all of your better trained dwarves on duty for a while, or forbid all your targets and build up a large stockpile of bolts before resuming practice.

Blackdutchie:
alternatively, shove a crossbow on all you want trained and bring on the hordes of goblins.
there's no target practice like actually being sieged.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version